Anyone who shoots just .22, using a 1911/Marvel ?

Brought to you by Zero Bullet Company Inc.

Moderators: pilkguns, m1963, Isabel1130

MSC

Anyone who shoots just .22, using a 1911/Marvel ?

Post by MSC »

I realize the big benefit is consistency for 2 and 3 gun matches. But does anyone like them enough to use for just .22?

Just curious. Thanks for any feedback.
jackh

Post by jackh »

Marvels are great. But once you use a 208s (or maybe other similar), it is hard to go back. Some say there is a benefit to shooting the same grip. Personally I believe top shooters can handle the switch. In other words, the same grip stuff is all in your head.

Post by Guest »

Marvel's are great guns. If you have a respectable lower to go with them. I personally have 3 Marvels. I am one who believes in doing it the same if you will, that's why I like the Marvel, because I have the same "feel" as a 45. Maybe others think it's easy to switch guns, but my mind must have a more limited capacity, because I have to practice hard just to do it right with one gun. If I happen to go to the range for a day of fun shooting I will call it, I will get a Marvel out of the box. Marvle has made "safe queens" out of my other 22s.
solomon grundy

Post by solomon grundy »

I don't use one, but have seen the match versions on the line.

You should also check out the Advantage Arms units - http://www.advantagearms.com/1911conver ... tOnly.html

From what I understand, Bob Marvel had designed these. He's no longer associated w/ Marvel Precision. The AA unit is his new design. But I'm not sure of their current availability.

Post by Guest »

Bob Marvel has not been associated with Marvel for a few years now,3 maybe 4? It was his invention originally, yes, but thats not to say that the current product line is no good. There are also quite a few older Marvels on the market at any given time. Not that Bob's disassociation had any adverse effects,I know quite a few who waited undue periods of time for one of his "custom 45s" and never did get one. I have a friend who is in his second year now,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,and still no word. Now according to popular rumor he's now associated with Advantage Arms. I have looked at their current product. It may be an accurate conversion, although I would not know as I have never shot one, but I will NOT buy any unit that gives me a polymer magazine,,,,,,,,,YUK!! Sorry, just my thoughts, but for the kind of money they want, you better give me a good ole steel magazine.
jackh

Post by jackh »

About the Marvel magazines.

The Metalform brand that Marvel was providing work great after adjusting. Some Metalform lots sold a few years back needed major work to get right. Somewhat beyond the average tinkerer.

Meanwhile there has been good success with the Kimber brand plastic magazines. Especially with the magazine spring given more force. An extra spring seat/spacer made by Roddy Toyota has turned my Kimber/Marvel magazines into perfect functioning.
slinger

Post by slinger »

I had so so results with the Metalform mags also. I had much better results using the mags from Ciener. They have also been the easiest to load, as in no silly little buttons on the side that always seemed to hurt the thumb and fingers in the loading process. I too have a foul taste regarding plastic or polymer magazines. Knowing what I do about plastic. I can't help but wonder what happens to a poly mag in temperature changes. I mean it can be hard enough to tweak the lips on a metal mag to make it function properly. What do you do with a plastic body mag? By the way, I own 4 Marvels.
tenex

Post by tenex »

To answer the original poster's question, I bought a Marvel to build a bullseye gun with. I bought a Springfield GI 45 for a lower, and started with a C&S 3.5 lb marine corp trigger kit (after I did a nice job mutilating the factory Springfield parts).

My thought was that the gun would make a decent platform for shooting a dot, since the Marvel based pistol comes out a bit lighter than a typical American target pistol.

Performance wise, the gun turned out with a nice weight, seems to be very accurate (didn't sand bag yet), and is very reliable. My only issue is the trigger, in that although I could get a decent 3 lb pull, I can't get something close to the trigger on my Pardini. To be fair, I've shot some very nice slow fire scores with it, I just shoot the Pardini better for timed and rapid.

I do really like it however, and for some unknown reason I'm always bringing it to the range to shoot. With a trigger done by a professional I think it'd be a great gun.

Steve.
mikeschroeder

Post by mikeschroeder »

Hi

I bought the Marvel Model 1 from Midway, and an extra mag. The mag that came with the Marvel worked great, the extra one didn't. The second extra one didn't. The two Kimber POS plastic jobs work great. I dislike plastic too, and I haven't tried replacing the springs yet, but the Kimber mags work. Kimber mags are usually $20, Marvel Mags are at least $45.

Mike
Wichita KS
MSC

Post by MSC »

Thanks all for the feedback, much appreciated!