Opinions on Production Hardball guns

Brought to you by Zero Bullet Company Inc.

Moderators: pilkguns, m1963, Isabel1130

Murphy

Opinions on Production Hardball guns

Post by Murphy »

Who makes the best production Hardball 1911? By 'production' I mean factory guns like those built by RRA or Les Baer.

Also who else offers a production Hardball 1911 - e.g. is Clark's available when ordered, or do you need to wait a long while.

thnx
James

Post by James »

Neither clarks nor RRA's are availible when ordered. Only the les baer.

I have a RRA and I like it and would buy another RRA.
Murphy

Post by Murphy »

I didn't know that. What's the turn-around on the RRA?
James

Post by James »

Several months. Call them to get an estimate. Sometimes they have a gun on hand. I know one shooter that got his RRA hardball with no wait.

Les Baer is the only one that you can probably get right away. I got lucky and got a used RRA.
Murphy

Post by Murphy »

That's good to know.

I'm guessing that there's not a very large market for hardball pistols. I've been looking at options for a custom built pistol as well (e.g. by Marvel, Masaki, Sams, etc..) but the turn-around times are very long if they're even taking on new jobs.
wra

Hardball RRA

Post by wra »

I must have been extremely lucky. Got my hardball RRA in 3 months turn around, but that was a couple of years ago.

Some dealers may have them in stock. Don's Guns in Gilbert or check the RRA forum on 1911.org -- there are a couple of dealers there you can contact.
Ed Hall

Post by Ed Hall »

Gil Hebard Guns, Inc. used to have hard ball guns in stock. I think they may have been Clarks. I haven't gotten a catalog for quite some time and they have no web page, but it might be worth giving them a call at (309) 289-2700.

Also note that he gives discounts to FFL holders and active duty military patrons.

Take Care,
Ed Hall
U.S. Air Force Competitive Shooting Teams
Bullseye (and International) CompetitionThings
mikeschroeder

Post by mikeschroeder »

Hi

According to the Gil Hebard catalog (which was borrowed FROM me on Tuesday), they stock Les Baer's. Personally, I don't think you're losing out buying a Baer instead of a RRA.

Mike
Wichita KS
Steve Swartz

Post by Steve Swartz »

"Amen!"

I know this was a "ball gun" thread but FWIW - purchased my Les Baer Wad gun in 1998. Shot for USAF team for 4 years, with intense training/competition (700 rounds per week for 9 months, then 300 per week for 3 months, for 4 solid years . . . then somewhat less [but still a regular shooter] for three years . . . then occasional use for last 3 years]. Basically I put a metric buttload of ammo through it.

Federal Gold Medal Match for long line, 185 swaged lead powderpuffs for short line.

Went in for some tightening/tweaking at around 50,000 rounds. Still shoots incredibly eye watering ten shot groups at 50 yards (10 shot, less than 1.5"; with an occasional 1.7" group. I think once I had some crappy ammo [CCI Blazer?] that opened up to 2.5").

Les Baer?

Yeah.

John Moses Browning is smilin' down upon them boys.

Steve Swartz