185 gr. or 200 gr. for 45acp

Brought to you by Zero Bullet Company Inc.

Moderators: pilkguns, m1963, Isabel1130

Kirmdog

185 gr. or 200 gr. for 45acp

Post by Kirmdog »

I was just courios as to what weight bullets you people are shooting in you 45's. I shoot 200 gr. and never have tried 185's and my friend shoots 185 gr. and has never shot 200's. Is the selection of bullet weight gun related (one just shoots better in a perticular gun that the other), personal preferance or some other reason?

Kirmdog
Dogchaser

Post by Dogchaser »

If you have a slide mounted dot the 200s will work easier.

I think more people in general use 200s. I tried everything from 155-230 and settled on 200.

ETA I only shoot lead, cast in .45 swaged in .38. I just can't afford to shoot jacketed.
Last edited by Dogchaser on Wed Jan 09, 2008 10:14 pm, edited 1 time in total.
2650 Plus

Bullet weights

Post by 2650 Plus »

Pass on all advice that begins with my gun and test your own with not only both weights but with different bullet molds and jacketed bullets . My gun shoots best with jacketed 185 grain SWC. Yours may not. Good Shooting Bill Horton
Kirmdog

Post by Kirmdog »

Thanks guys. My friend said he shot the 185 grainers because he thought they recoiled less giving him better recovery in timed and rapid fire. I never though that 3.5 gr. of BE behind a 200 grain SWC recoiled all that bad but never tried lighter bullets. In the league I'm in the rule states that only lead bullets can be shot. I have tried the Hornady jacketed CSWC'er and they shoot great but I cannot use them. I'll have to try some of the lighter weights and see how they shoot.

Kirmdog
Don

Post by Don »

The match .45 ACP load developed by the U.S. Marine Corps Weapons Training Battalion, Quantico, VA, is:

Brass: WW
Primer: WW WLP
Bullet: Nosler 185 gr. HP
Powder: VV N-310 (4 grs.)

I load mine progressively on a Dillon 550B, using Dillon carbide dies. The Nosler bullet punches very small holes [looks like .38], which can create some very interesting discussions with your scorer until he's/she's had the line official plug several of the close bullet holes. The load shots significantly better than I can, and I'm double Distinguished and double President's Hundred.

This load is documented in "Marine Pistoleers' Secret to Success: A Maximum Accuracy .45 Cal. ACP Match Load," June 1998, Shooting Sports USA. Before you load it, get a copy of the article.

If you think that you have the resources to develop and test a better load than the Marine shooting program, good luck. BE VERY CAREFUL LOADING THIS. THE CASE CAN HOLD A DOUBLE OR TRIPLE LOAD OF N-310 IF YOU ARE NOT CAREFUL. [Yes, I know that I'm shouting.] A triple load would probably blow up the gun: double would not do it any good.
wra

No difference, really

Post by wra »

I've used both 185's in lead and jacketed. 200's in lead.

No real difference in my guns -- I could get them all to work with a little experimenting. Some 185's work better than others.

If you're serious about bullseye, you'll be reloading for the .45 if you aren't already. Factory loads aren't too accurate, with a very few very expensive exceptions.

Don't spend too much time sweating loads for the 25 yard line, as long as you don't mix loads in a single match.

50 yard loads are where you should spend time. Remington 185gr JSWC is what a lot of folks here use for 50 yard line. Others are using various lead 185gr.

Jon