What is a "leg"??

Brought to you by Zero Bullet Company Inc.

Moderators: pilkguns, m1963, Isabel1130

EdM

What is a "leg"??

Post by EdM »

As a newcomer to Bullseye I have been looking at scheduled matches in my area and see some listed "with Leg" and I don't know what that means.

I'm particularly interested in Distinguished Revolver matches; does a "Leg" allow the use of a revolver?

Thank you.

Ned
2650 Plus

Leg matches

Post by 2650 Plus »

In order to earn a distinguished pistol or rifle badge you must place in the top ten per cent of the non distinguished competitors that enter and compete in the " LEG' match. The national match course is the course of fire. The 'leg' is earned by placing as indicated but the maximum points one can earn towards the Distinguished Badge in any one match is 10 points of the 30 points required to be awarded the gold distinguished badge. As soon as you have earned the first points toward the badge you are awarded a leg badge that indicates that you are in the elite few that are competing for the gold badge. For more exact information see the above posts. International distinguished badges are awarded on the basis of success in international competitions. Good Shooting Bill Horton
Mike M.

Post by Mike M. »

The nice thing about the leg matches is that once a shooter goes Distinguished, he's out of the running...making room for other people to get points.
wra

What is a "Leg"

Post by wra »

The Civilian Marksmanship Program (CMP) runs the "Distinguished Pistol" program, among others, while the NRA sets the rules for Bullseye ("Conventional Pistol") and the Distinguished Revolver program.

A "Leg" refers to the CMP Distinguished Pistol program, using service pistols, being either a 1911 in .45ACP or Beretta in 9mm.

The NRA tries to keep the Distinguished Revolver program in line with the CMP rules, specifically in the awarding of points, etc. NRA started Distinguished Revolver in 2004, while the Distinguished Pistol goes way back.

The term "leg" is an old reference to the fact that you'd need at least three events to win enough points (three legs) to get your Distinguished Pistol badge. Since 30 points are needed, and 10 point events are hard to find, it takes more events to accumulate the points than three.