Revolvers for Bull'seye

Brought to you by Zero Bullet Company Inc.

Moderators: pilkguns, m1963, Isabel1130

CR10X

CR10X

Post by CR10X »

Basic concept needed for pistol shooting.

You can be competitive with anything that is capable of holding inside the 10 ring. Revolvers are just a different story, but the same plot. As with everything else, you must develop a way to compensate for the weaknesses and maximize the benefits of the strengths of your choosen equipment, talent, conditions and competition.

Cecil
MSC

Post by MSC »

Partly due to interest sparked by this post, and partly becasue it's had a long stint in the safe... I brought along my .22 revolver to play with after my regular bullseye practice (w/Benelli MP95). The revlover is a S&W 17, 6" full-lug barrel with open sights.
I decided to try a simulated 300 match (the range I shoot has the timed and rapid fire commands recorded, to play over the loudspeaker). I haven't shot the gun in 6 months, and don't think I've ever even tried rapid-fire with live rounds. Regardless, here's how it went...
- Slow Fire (cocking with my non-shooting hand): Surprisingly, darn near as good as w/my Benelli. With no dot, no anatomical grips, and a 3.5# (albeit very crisp) trigger pull. But, for me at least, the heavy barrel just makes the front sight sit rock solid. And the crisp trigger is to my liking.
- Timed fire(cocking with shooting hand): First 5 were a bit scarey, I think 1 was even out of the scoring rings! But the 2nd 5round string was at least semi-respectable - most in black.
- Rapid fire: Same as above for first 5. Second string I actually held the 9 ring. I got my first and last shots off with the buzzer. It was a fast pace, but I didn't feel too terribly rushed.

So... Add a dot, trigger job, some good grips, and some bench-tested ammo (I have no clue if it "likes" what I was using), and I guess I could probably do OK.

But, switching back to the Benelli... suddenly 10 seconds for rapid fire seems like an eternity, where my grip stays exactly the same. The balance is much better. And the grips/balance are like sitting in your favorite recliner, versus a metal folding chair. And popping in a magazine is much prefereable to loading 5 rounds each string and centering the empty cylinder.

So I guess all my rambling just brings me to the comment I made in my earlier post here... Yes, the revolver can be used, but there's better tools out there to do the same (and likely better) job.
Kirmdog

Post by Kirmdog »

I'm new to Bullseye shooting and have the same questions as HBfromstl in regaurds to revolvers. Our league had a revolver "fun shoot" recently and I used my S&W's Mod. 617 and 28. It has been a long time since had fired my revolvers in rapid fire, the last being when I was a LEO. I thought I wouldn't have the time to shoot single action in the rapid fire so I shot double action in this portion but afterwards realized that I could have shot single action with no problem. I usually shoot a High Standard and a Colt Gold Cup but my centerfire portion suffers because of my GC. Shooting my Mod 28 I easily doubled my pathedic scores of my GC and I will continue to shoot my 28 for the remainder of the season if my GC cannot be shot better. I can shoot my Kimber Tactical Custom better than my GC but I shoot the 28 better than both of them, my GC having a hard time keeping all the shots on the paper let alone the scoring rings. I just have to wonder if I sold my GC and took the money and bought a 625 in .45 acp would my scores get better being that the 28 is a combat gun and the 625 a target gun? I'm also in a situation where I cannot afford a "bullseye" gun right now and I'm shooting because I enjoy shooting and I'm compeating against myself to better my scores.

If I had a ranking I may feel differant but being unranked the only way for me is up. I for one feel that I would be better off spending my money on shells and shooting and latter on buying a true bullseye gun but still wonder if an even trade for a true target gun would help me right now.

Kirmdog