Rule regarding operating safety equipment

Brought to you by Zero Bullet Company Inc.

Moderators: pilkguns, m1963, Isabel1130

tenex

Post by tenex »

Here's a rules question:

If I get a Marvel upper and build a dedicated lower with a fixed grip safety, is it legal? What is the rule regarding safety equipment on a hybrid gun? Do I get in trouble if I start with a series 80 frame and then disable the firing pin block by removing the original slide? Is the automatic slide lock from an empty magazine considered a safety feature? Or by putting various parts together do I become the firearm manufacturer and are allowed some leeway in the systems I want operating?

I'd like to know just how far I can go with a Marvel based gun and still be legal. Removing the grip safety opens up some grip options, etc.

Steve.
Bozo

Post by Bozo »

Most people use Marvel Conversions so that all three matches (.22, Centerfire, and .45) can be shot with a pistol having essentially the same feel. I don't think you will find many people seeking to modify them as you describe.

Firing pin block is removed by Colt themselves in their Series 70 repros. No big deal. Removing/disabling the grip safety is a stretch I think.

Neither the Marvel or Kimber mags even have the automatic hold-open feature. Regular Metalform Ace mags do, but Marvel users file it off so as not to wreck the aluminium slide, per manufacturer's instructions.

Between Herret, Rink, Nill, Horton, Fung, Pachmayr, etc., you will probably be able to find a perfect grip without having to modify any safety features at all! You can download complete Bullseye Equipment Rules from the NRA site.
GOVTMODEL

Re: Rule regarding operating safety equipment

Post by GOVTMODEL »

tenex wrote:Here's a rules question:

If I get a Marvel upper and build a dedicated lower with a fixed grip safety, is it legal? What is the rule regarding safety equipment on a hybrid gun?

Steve.
Disabling the grip safety is a violation of Rule 3, which requires all safety devices to operate.
tenex

Re: Rule regarding operating safety equipment

Post by tenex »

GOVTMODEL wrote:
tenex wrote:Here's a rules question:

If I get a Marvel upper and build a dedicated lower with a fixed grip safety, is it legal? What is the rule regarding safety equipment on a hybrid gun?

Steve.
Disabling the grip safety is a violation of Rule 3, which requires all safety devices to operate.
That's the real point I suppose. Do all the safety devices belong to the frame? As I pointed out before, if I put a Marvel on a series 80 gun, I need to remove safety features (the firing pin block). I know a series 80 .45 without them is not legal, so why is the Marvel ok on a series 80 frame?

Not trying to get around the rules, I just want to build something a little different with a Marvel upper and would like it if it was legal to shoot a match with.

Steve.
CR10XGuest

Post by CR10XGuest »

Who said a Marvel on a series 80 frame was "legal" if safety related parts are removed from the frame or disabled?
Fred Mannis

Post by Fred Mannis »

CR10XGuest wrote:Who said a Marvel on a series 80 frame was "legal" if safety related parts are removed from the frame or disabled?
It seems to me that the frame mounted lever, which operates the firing pin block in a Series 80 slide, is no longer a safety related part when the top end is a Marvel. Its absence would only become an issue when the Marvel conversion is replaced with a standard Series 80 slide, in which case the firing pin block safety would not be operable. So if you are going to use the same series 80 frame for both 22 (with a Marvel conversion) and CF/45 you will be violating sec 3. Not so if the frame is dedicated.
CR10X

Post by CR10X »

The operative word in my response was "Who". While I appreciate and value everyone's opinions, they remain just that and I don't think I'd waste a trip to Perry without being sure.

I think the one that counts is the NRA or an Official Referee.

Again, just a question of who says it's legal or not so when one show up at the match I'll know what to do.

Thanks / Cecil