Colt Series 80 Bright SS Gol Cup

Brought to you by Zero Bullet Company Inc.

Moderators: pilkguns, m1963, Isabel1130

Colt Series 80 Bright SS Gol Cup

Post by Guest »

Ok guys, I'm new to bullseye shooting and hoping to get some possible answers. I had bought a new Colt GC back in the late 80's/early 90's that I have kept as a safe queen. Now that I have joined a bullseye club I have brought it out of hiding. To say I'm disapointed with this GC would be an under statement. To date the best I can do is 4" goups out of a Ransom Rest at 50' with any handload or factory round I have tried. Seems that this gun was put together back when Colt was having some finacial issues and were using up all the spare parts. So do I try to fix this gun or do I save my money and get something more competetive (Wilson, Baer, other)? If I fix it what should I do first? I had heard that the collet bushing on the series 80 has caused trouble, would it help to try changing this first? I'm not looking for 2" groups @ 50 yards, just to be more competetive. For the time being I would be happy if I could keep all my shots in the black on the slow fire portion, something I can do with my Kimber Custom Tactical. Seems strange that a fixed sight combat gun can out shooot a target gun. I would use my Kimber for the whole course but being an aluminium frame it gets tough on the rapid fire portion.
So whats the consensus guys, sell or fix?

Don
James

Post by James »

I say keep it. Having a good 1911 base is one more step towards your goal.

I don't know for sure, but I was under the impression that colt's generally had pretty loose part tolerances. While good for reliability, it's not good for accuracy.

What you should do is send the gun to a bullseye gunsmith. Unless it's a Les Baer, Rock River etc that was built to shoot under 3 inches at 50 yards, most guns will need to see a gunsmith.

Here is one place you can go to get it accurized. http://www.clarkcustomguns.com/bullcon.htm
tleddy

Four inches at 50 feet!?!?!?

Post by tleddy »

If I read your post correctly the GC will do no better than 4" at 50 feet.

If that is correct, there is something desperately wrong with the gun. Have a local gunsmith check it out - even a government issue 45 that is very (!) loose will hold 4 inches at 50 feet.

Tillman
Kirmdog

Colt Series 80 Bright Gol Cup

Post by Kirmdog »

Sorry for the double post guys!

That's right tleddy 4" at 50 feet and your right, I have had GM's in the past that did better that that. I have checked the barrel bushing to slide fit and it's .020" which seems on the wide side to me as do all the other tolerances. Being SS I beleive that they tend to keep these a little wider than the carbon steel but this seems exsesive to me. Is there a web site or a book/manual that would give the correct tolerances for the Colt GC? My mistake was keeping this gun in the safe for so long (almost 20 years) and not checking it out. If I had noticed this earlier I could have sent it back to Colt and had them fix it, I'm sure this isn't what they (Colt) expects out of a GC. On the other hand I only paid cost + shipping for this gun new because my freind had a FFL. He had told me when I purchased it that in his opinion the blue carbon steel CG's were better than the SS, maybe I should have listened to him.
James, thank you for Clark web site. It sounds affordable to send my GC to him. I'm going to try a few things first to see if I can get this gun shooting better right now and then towards the end of the season I may sent it to Clark.
Any and all suggestions would still be appreciated on this possible project.

Don "Kirmdog"
James

Post by James »

No problem, There are also other bullseye smiths out there that may be a bit more affordable.

My coach's wad gun will do under 1.5 inches at 50, and his smith charged him about 400 I think.