Gun Choice

Brought to you by Zero Bullet Company Inc.

Moderators: pilkguns, m1963, Isabel1130

Gun Choice

Post by Guest »

I have always been one to use what I have had and I am wondering if it is hurting my score now. I am shooting 260-265 right now with a Ruger MKIII. Do you think another gun will improve my scores? I have a Volsquer(?) sear and trigger and some home made grips on it. I like the thought of having an electronic trigger for practice but do not know if it is worth the $2000 to get it. I know I still suffer those "shot that must of came from the guy next to me"(lol) but I do not want to short change myself with my equipment. Should I buy a professionally made grip for the Ruger or just leave my setup alone and see how far it takes me? So money out of the equation what should I do?
Rob

Post by Rob »

Are you only shooting the 22 right now? Is there a 45 or other centerfire gun in your future?

Post by Guest »

I am only shooting .22 at the moment but am thinking of doing a center fire summer league. Are you thinking of a gun that will go to .32?
pamf

Post by pamf »

A lot of people shoot great scores with Rugers. I don't. When I went to an IZH-35M, my scores went up immediately and stayed up. When I went to a Pardini SP New they went up again. Equipment does play a factor, but it depends on the individual. Can you borrow or try out other people's pistols to see what feels right for you? That would be my advice. To make a valid evaluation you need to fire more than a few rounds though. Maybe someone would let you shoot a full relay with theirs. I would, and my BE league friends are always friendly and generous.

-PAMF

Post by Guest »

IMO it's a waste of money to significantly upgrade a Ruger. They're fine for novices but they're not really match grade pistols. An IZH, Trailside, or used euro-22 is a better option IMO.
Richard H

Post by Richard H »

Some people shoot well with them but personally, even to this day I can't shoot it worth beans. We have two Rugers as club guns, I shoot a GSP and shoot around 500/600 in Standard Pistol with my Precision Slow fire stages in the high 80's to low 90's. Every once in awhile I'll shoot one of the Rugers and I can't even hold the black with it, I'm luck if I shoot over 425 with it. So personally, if your serious and enjoy shooting find yourself something better. I agree that its a waste to sink money into a Ruger to trick it out.

Post by Guest »

Richard,

You say you can't shoot the Ruger to good but how good is that? There are people in my club that complain about shooting a 285. Do you shoot a 290 and then a 260 with the Ruger?
Richard H

Post by Richard H »

Anonymous wrote:Richard,

You say you can't shoot the Ruger to good but how good is that? There are people in my club that complain about shooting a 285. Do you shoot a 290 and then a 260 with the Ruger?
If I just do a straight conversion % wise it would be more like 270 with my GSP and 212 with a Ruger. I only shoot BE about twice a year, I shoot more standard pistol. To be fair I don't regularly shoot it (the Ruger) so....
Last edited by Richard H on Sun Dec 02, 2007 3:07 pm, edited 1 time in total.

Post by Guest »

I wasn't expecting that much of a difference. What do you shoot with other guns? Is this just being not used to that gun or do you shoot close to 270's with say a Walther?
Richard H

Post by Richard H »

Anonymous wrote:I wasn't expecting that much of a difference. What do you shoot with other guns? Is this just being not used to that gun or do you shoot close to 270's with say a Walther?
A GSP is a Walther. Which Is what I shoot all the time. I shoot pretty much the same with my other GSP which is the 32. SO simply I just don't shoot the Ruger, nor do I tell amyone to go out an buy one. My personal feeling is that it is basically a beginner/Plinking pistol
solomon grundy

Post by solomon grundy »

Here's the thing.. and this is going to PO a lot of people .. few of the popular American BE 22s are worth the trouble IMO. By this I mean the Rugers, S&W 41, Browning Buckmark, Colt Woodsman etc. Early High Standards are often an exception. Now this isn't to say that a 41 can't be made into a decent pistol, but these are too expensive to begin with, upgrades makes the cost unacceptable IMO.

If you don't want to spend an arm and a leg, get a Trailside and a $100 trigger job for it, or a IZH 35, or a nice pre-loved High Standard.

Don't spend $2000 on an electronic trigger ( do you mean trainer?), get a proper pistol first.

$0.02
James

Post by James »

solomon grundy wrote:Here's the thing.. and this is going to PO a lot of people .. few of the popular American BE 22s are worth the trouble IMO. By this I mean the Rugers, S&W 41, Browning Buckmark, Colt Woodsman etc. Early High Standards are often an exception. Now this isn't to say that a 41 can't be made into a decent pistol, but these are too expensive to begin with, upgrades makes the cost unacceptable IMO.

If you don't want to spend an arm and a leg, get a Trailside and a $100 trigger job for it, or a IZH 35, or a nice pre-loved High Standard.

Don't spend $2000 on an electronic trigger ( do you mean trainer?), get a proper pistol first.

$0.02
I dont know how how accurate that is, but I like your advice.
On the rimfire forums, the model 41 is like the holy grail, The example I used for awhile was a bit beat up, but I didn't think the model 41 was worth the price.
solomon grundy

Post by solomon grundy »

Of course my opinion is accurate! ;)

BE shooters tend to be very loyal to US made pistols. I'm very fond of America too, but we don't make world class 22 autoloaders. We can build the heck out of a 1911 or a revolver though.

For whatever my personal opinions, you'll notice that the 41 is not regarded as a competition grade pistol outside of BE circles in the US.
Mike M.

Post by Mike M. »

I'd tend to agree. The S&W M41 is OK, but overpriced for what you are getting. The Izh-35 is the sleeper gun...but the secret is out.

A lot of bullseye shooters favor the High Standard simply because they ape the 1911...and most across-the-course shooters are shooting double .45.
James

Post by James »

Of the rimfires I have shot, (model 41(both barrel lengths) , highstandard, marvel conversion, trailside, and ruger, my favorites were the marvel conversion, and the trailside. The short heavy barrel 41 comes next.

I felt like the marvel conversion always settled in the same spot.
jackh

Post by jackh »

Anonymous wrote:IMO it's a waste of money to significantly upgrade a Ruger. They're fine for novices but they're not really match grade pistols. An IZH, Trailside, or used euro-22 is a better option IMO.
I disagree with that. I refer you to here:
http://www.targettalk.org/viewtopic.php?t=16760
jackh

Post by jackh »

["]I am shooting 260-265 right now with a Ruger MKIII[/"]

260/300=86% Sharpshooter score. Learning the basics more might be in order first.

Post by Guest »

Should I learn the basics on the Ruger or something I can grow with? I know the basics I just have to execute them. I just want to make sure my gun is not going to hold me back.
Fred Mannis

Post by Fred Mannis »

Anonymous wrote:Should I learn the basics on the Ruger or something I can grow with? I know the basics I just have to execute them. I just want to make sure my gun is not going to hold me back.
FWIW, my $0.02

Proper execution of the basics with your Ruger will definitely get you to Expert (>270).

Unless the trigger is really bad. In which case getting a Volquartsen (sp?) sear will help a lot. This is not a significant cost, and I agree that it is not worth putting expensive upgrades into a Ruger.

If you are definitely into BE (as opposed to ISSF) and considering a .45 pistol, then I would recommend a Marvel (or similar), initially on the .45 frame, later on a dedicated frame.

If cost is not an issue, then buy a good quality 45 wad gun and the Marvel conversion now. But don't think that will preclude a great deal of training and practice if you want to start winning matches. As someone said - training isn't training if you enjoy it.
jackh

Post by jackh »

Anonymous wrote:Should I learn the basics on the Ruger or something I can grow with? I know the basics I just have to execute them. I just want to make sure my gun is not going to hold me back.
It is a poor start to have a mind set, that equipment will hold you back.

A good Ruger will not hold you back from the 290s if you work on the fundamentals. A grip or stipples of choice, professional trigger job, Volquartsen rear sight, will not hurt the effort. It will clean the 50 yd target if you can. Shooting Master scores comes more from you.

Your original question
"Should I buy a professionally made grip for the Ruger or just leave my setup alone and see how far it takes me? So money out of the equation what should I do?"
You don't say what Ruger you presently have. I assume it is indeed a target model.
With money out of the question.....Keep shooting the Ruger, improve it if need be. Work on the basics. Also try out as many other peoples guns that you can and learn....There is no automatic answer. Do not hurry the choice.

And change the mind set. You will be disappointed with anything with that in your head.