45 FMJ bullets

Brought to you by Zero Bullet Company Inc.

Moderators: pilkguns, m1963, Isabel1130

kpuscg04

45 FMJ bullets

Post by kpuscg04 »

I am looking for a supplier of 45 FMJ bullets. I plan on loading my own ammunition for my ball gun, but I can't seem to find a quallity fmj round. Any suggestions?

Thanks

Jim

Post by Guest »

zero
K5Tangos

230 FMJs

Post by K5Tangos »

I use both traditional FMJ from Remington and Winchester as well as Rainier plated bullets in the ball gun. The Rainiers cost about $90 per thousand compared to $130+ for the fmj.

The plated bullets have exceeded my expectations. I have seen absolutely no difference in performance from the Rainiers compared to the fmj. (I still use factory at 50 yards.) The reloading data has been interchangeable.

For sources, I use MidwayUSA.com, Natchezss.com, or Cheaperthandirt.com, whichever has them on sale.

I'm happy to share the reloading data. Just PM me and I'll send the Excel spreadsheet.

Hope this helped.

Keith
pamf

Post by pamf »

I've had great luck with Rainier too. Sub-1" at 25 yds every time. Mostly I shoot their 200 gr SWC and the weights have been extremely consistent. I was weighing them and sorting batches, but in reality my groups didn't care if I did that so I quit. I'm lucky though that I live near Rainier and can pick it up at their plant, saving shipping. Those boxes aren't light. They do make a wide range of calibers and types, and the prices are good, so you might be able to lobby your local shop into stocking them if they don't already.

-PAMF
jackh

Post by jackh »

Zero from Roze are very very good.

Sierra are arguably the best. But I don't know many shooters that would actually see any difference over Remington or Winchester bulk 230 FMJ on target. BTW, plated bullets are not "FMJ", nor will they be as accurate. I have seen some illformed bases on Winchester 230 FMJ. I look them over and use the bad looking bases at 25 yds.
mikeschroeder

Post by mikeschroeder »

Hi

I suggest that anyone reloading copper washed bullets (like Rainer's) read their website.

http://www.rainierballistics.com/ which states:

"We, at Rainier Ballistics, recommend using lead bullet load data when loading our bullets. There is no need for adjustment when using lead bullet load data. Our bullets are jacketed using an electroplating process and are softer than traditionally jacketed bullets; hence the recommendation to use lead bullet load data. If you only have access to traditionally jacketed load data, we recommend reducing maximum charge by 10%. A roll or taper crimp may be used with our bullets; do not over crimp."

Mainly don't use plated bullet loads, use lead loads which are slower.

Mike
Wichita KS
Richard H

Post by Richard H »

mikeschroeder wrote:Hi

I suggest that anyone reloading copper washed bullets (like Rainer's) read their website.

http://www.rainierballistics.com/ which states:

"We, at Rainier Ballistics, recommend using lead bullet load data when loading our bullets. There is no need for adjustment when using lead bullet load data. Our bullets are jacketed using an electroplating process and are softer than traditionally jacketed bullets; hence the recommendation to use lead bullet load data. If you only have access to traditionally jacketed load data, we recommend reducing maximum charge by 10%. A roll or taper crimp may be used with our bullets; do not over crimp."

Mainly don't use plated bullet loads, use lead loads which are slower.

Mike
Wichita KS
Actually it says not to use "jacket load data" (plated and jacketed are not the same) it says to use "lead load data" for your plated bullets.
mososodbob

Plated bullets legal for EIC matches?

Post by mososodbob »

Are plated bullets allowed for EIC / President's Match? Anyone with load data for "soft-ball" loads? Prefer Bullseye to keep things simple on my bench.

Bob
Isabel1130

Hope this helps

Post by Isabel1130 »

6.6.2 Pistol Ammunition
(1) 45 Cal. Pistol. Competitors with.45 cal. pistols may use any safe ammunition
with 230-grain, full metal jacket, round nosed bullets.
(2) 9mm Pistol. Competitors with 9mm pistols may use any safe ammunition
with 115 to 125 grain, full metal jacket, round nosed bullets.
mikeschroeder

Re: Hope this helps

Post by mikeschroeder »

Hi

To quote Bob

"Are plated bullets allowed for EIC / President's Match? Anyone with load data for "soft-ball" loads? Prefer Bullseye to keep things simple on my bench.

Bob"
Isabel1130 wrote:6.6.2 Pistol Ammunition
(1) 45 Cal. Pistol. Competitors with.45 cal. pistols may use any safe ammunition
with 230-grain, full metal jacket, round nosed bullets.
(2) 9mm Pistol. Competitors with 9mm pistols may use any safe ammunition
with 115 to 125 grain, full metal jacket, round nosed bullets.
An offering a concise answer with the above proof:

Nope.

I have been using Winchester reloading supplies, 230 Grain FMJ's, brass, and primers for a few years. 4.7 grains of Titegroup under 230 Grain FMJ's for hardball and 4.0 grains of Bullseye under 185 grain LSWC for wad.

They're more accurate than I am, unfortunately I occasionally have difficulty hitting a barn from the inside.

Mike
Wichita KS