Is there a scaled down bullseye target for 15 yards?

Brought to you by Zero Bullet Company Inc.

Moderators: pilkguns, m1963, Isabel1130

James

Is there a scaled down bullseye target for 15 yards?

Post by James »

The 25 and 50 yard ranges are closed.

Is there a special target, or a target where the black is about the same size at 15?
GOVTMODEL

Re: Is there a scaled down bullseye target for 15 yards?

Post by GOVTMODEL »

James wrote:The 25 and 50 yard ranges are closed.

Is there a special target, or a target where the black is about the same size at 15?
There are both Slow Fire and Timed & Rapid Fire targets for 50 feet. I've not seen a 45 foot target, or a 45 foot range.

Maybe I've just lead a sheltered life. But Rule 4 doesn't show a 45 foot target.

Richard
PaulB

Post by PaulB »

15 yards is one of the standard distances used for police qualification courses, typically called PPC. They shoot at 3, 7, 15, 25 and 50 yds.
jr_roosa

Post by jr_roosa »

My local range is 12.5 yards. I have no idea why they don't use the full 25 yards, except the folks who buy the life-size Osama bin Laden target have trouble keeping their shots on the paper even at 12.5 yards.

Anyway, for practice I took a 25ft target, scanned it, printed it scaled up to the proper size, and took it to Kinkos. Copier paper isn't great, but it does OK and it's pretty much free.

The only other option is that some rifle and smallbore targets are the proper size for pistol at odd ranges. If you figure out the scaled size of the bull and the size of the various rings at the distance you want, you can take a ruler to the store and find the right size.

Oh, and the 50ft targets should only be about 10% too big at 45ft, which might be close enough for practice.

-J.
2650 Plus

Target scale for range

Post by 2650 Plus »

This may sound a little radical but IMHO all the target does is catch the bullet so you can score. I would suggest that you may get just as much out of your training by shooting for group on a blank sheet of paper. I thing good shots are caused by what happens at the pistol , not at the target. Good Shooting Bill Horton
dlb

Post by dlb »

There's a spreadsheet linked from the bottom of this page that calculates the scale of a target at arbitrary distances - http://www.ray-vin.com/tech/targetlist.htm

The spreadsheet is designed to provide scaled dimensions for highpower targets, but you can scale other targets by defining these on the left hand side of the document and changing the caliber fields.
Woody61

Scaled targets

Post by Woody61 »

Here is a link for a target making program. http://home.hiwaay.net/~ispellan/Airguns.html It has all of the NRA targets and the dimesion of each scoring ring. You could calculate the correct size for each ring for the target you want for use at 15 yards and make your own. It actually works very well. Good luck
GOVTMODEL

Post by GOVTMODEL »

PaulB wrote:15 yards is one of the standard distances used for police qualification courses, typically called PPC. They shoot at 3, 7, 15, 25 and 50 yds.
I understand, but the question was about bullseye targets.
nsk

BE target for 15 yards

Post by nsk »

Is there a special target, or a target where the black is about the same size at 15 yards?[/quote]

The BE targets for 50 ft are the B-2, Slow Fire; B-3 Sustained Fire. 50 ft is = to 16.666 yards.
Target Bunny

Reduced target size for short range

Post by Target Bunny »

Hi Guys
Just looked at the spreadsheet mentioned by dlb and tried to use it to reduce down to 15 ft for .22 air pistol.
Now I know I am nowhere near competition level shooting but I am restricted to realy short range at home and I would like to challenge ANYONE to score a maximum on a target which has an X zone given as -0.012.
Seriously the rest of the spreadsheet works well and provided that you allow the minimum bull to be only .5 mm larger than the bullet/pellet it saves a lot of time and gueswork.
Who do I ask for permission to drop this on to my site Thetargetbunny@hotmail.co.uk for others to use?
Regards
Target Bunny
Ted

Post by Ted »

I actually have a scaled down target I got from K-Mart many years ago. It is a bullseye target scaled down to 15 yards. It says 'B-1' on the bottom right corner. I will measure the black to see what the actual diameter of the black is for you tonight.
Target Bunny

Scaled down Targets

Post by Target Bunny »

Hi Ted
Thanks for that.
If you have a look at the site you will see a set of targets in the "Your Recomendations" section that I got The Dragonsinger to redraw from some stuff I collected from the web. It was the same problem. No matter how good you are if the rings are too close together you can never score a bull as all targets mark "outwards" that is to say if you clip a scoring ring you get the lower score. So regardless of the rest of the target the minimum size for a bull in .22 calibre is .22, or as we do it in Europe, 5.5mm and 6mm is better since you get just a little leeway. In fact it's only the thickness of the line round the scoring ring. A .177 is 4.5mm so the minimum ring is 5mm giving the same leeway as the .22.
Since the site name really tells it's own story you will appreceate that I try to be as accurate as possible but it looks to me like even commercial targets are not as well thought out as they could be. National or Olympic ones are fine but the same standards do not seem to apply everywhere.
Thanks again
Target Bunny.
jr_roosa

Post by jr_roosa »

Target Bunny,

Most of the NRA bullseye targets I've seen are designed to score "inwards," or that shots touching a higher scoring ring count for the higher score. That makes scaling down less of an issue since even a pinpoint X would be scoreable if your shot touched it. It might make your score ever so slightly high since the holes you're making in the target aren't scaled down. I thought (guessed) that the official targets take this into account for different distances, but that's just a guess.

Is the "outward" scoring you're talking about for another discipline? I imagine that it is since you're writing from England.

-J.
Dogchaser

Post by Dogchaser »

Olympic disiplines use outward scoring gauges intead of overlays and plugs like Bullseye.

I have also seen the 15yd target mentioned above.

I personally wouldn't worry about the difference in practice and just use the 50ft if readily available.
Target Bunny

Inward/outward Scoring

Post by Target Bunny »

Hi jr_roosa & Dogchaser
Inward simply means that if you break a ring closer to the bull you score the higher value and outward is the reverse. It does not matter which you use since everyone should be using the same system.
My point about the spreadsheet is that it gives a minus value -0.012 so you don't get even a dot for centre and the bull itself is smaller than the projectile. As you said OK on inward scoring.
There's no right or wrong here, just different viewpoints and I don't want to start a big argument or spoil anyones fun.

Well jr_roosa I'm writing from Yorkshire and there is a certain ammount of internal argument here whether the county should be English or not since many of the customs and practises differ from the rest of the country But we are happy to accept the designation U.K.

I am a little out of date but last time I shot any .22 rimfire it was prone position and the N.S.R.A. (National Smallbore Rifle Association) used the bowler hat profile shot guages and scored outwards.
Hope things are now clearer.
Regards
Target Bunny