Compact Bullseye Locking Range Box

Brought to you by Zero Bullet Company Inc.

Moderators: pilkguns, m1963, Isabel1130

jaxontarget

Compact Bullseye Locking Range Box

Post by jaxontarget »

I go the range to practice on weekends and after work sometimes. In the case of the latter I need to leave my pistols locked in the car as they are verboten within my workplace. In the parking lot, without me and my carry permit, by law they are supposed to be in a locked case, as silly as that may be. For a while I had the full blown 3-pistols plus the kitchen sink bullseye range box, complete with hinged compartments and hidden fold-out provision for all matter of high tech accessories (they mostly stayed folded away with no accessories to attach). I got tired of toting that thing around and having people point and laugh (well, that last bit actually hasn't stopped). So I started carrying my gear in a nice compact leather bag (pic) that holds everything beautifully and is discreet and fits neatly in the luggage compartment hidden in the back of my car. The downside is it is not lockable. Silly, I know, since whatever lock I'd put on a box of that size would not deter a thief from taking it to pry it open later on. Still, in my state, its the law. I have a Pelican like box to tote my more conventional semi-auto pistols to the range, but it is not large enough to fit the frames of any of my bullseye pistols (they are all just a bit too long for it). Has anyone got a recommendation for a compact lockable case for the likes of two bullseye pistols and minimal accessories (GSP...M41...208...longer .22LR pistols) that is not the size of a check-in suitcase on an International flight? The Pelican type case I have is just an inch or three short of working for the .22's https://www.amazon.com/gp/product/B00K7 ... UTF8&psc=1 ....otherwise it would be just fine and fit the bill to comply with the law. Any suggestions - seems all I'm seeing are either just a bit too small, or require a separate luggage cart to get from your car to the firing line. Here's my current solution...no lock possible. Pistols are protected with padded wraps. Holds two pistols, one extra barrel, 6-8 mags, and misc. accessories the likes of small screwdrivers, ear plugs, oil, etc. Image
machinist mike

Re: Compact Bullseye Locking Range Box

Post by machinist mike »

Harbor Freight has number of cases that might fit the bill. Some of them have internal, adjustable, partitions with pick-apart foam. Most of them have locks because they are designed to carry tools for service techs. Size of the ones that I use is 12 1/4, by 17 1/4, by approx. 5 1/5", inside measurement. Usually they go on sale for around $26.00 or so, and there is usually a 20% around somewhere. Hope this helps.

Mike
jaxontarget

Post by jaxontarget »

machinist mike wrote:Harbor Freight has number of cases that might fit the bill. Some of them have internal, adjustable, partitions with pick-apart foam. Most of them have locks because they are designed to carry tools for service techs. Size of the ones that I use is 12 1/4, by 17 1/4, by approx. 5 1/5", inside measurement. Usually they go on sale for around $26.00 or so, and there is usually a 20% around somewhere. Hope this helps.

Mike
There's a Harbor Freight right across the road from where I work. I'll check it out. Thank you. Edit: A quick check on the Apache cases there would indicate the largest one they offer is smaller than the one I already have. Am I looking at the wrong cases? My current case is 18.88" x 14.50" x 7.50" and I need it to be larger than that (probably more like 16 X 9 on those latter two dimensions). I wasn't seeing anything there that would work, but perhaps was looking in the wrong place.
10M_Stan

Post by 10M_Stan »

I like that bag; it looks discrete and comfortable. Adding a metal latch for installing a small padlock would not be difficult to your leather bag. That should make that bag in compliance with the law (but, I'm not a lawyer).

I often carry my pistols in a old gym bag when going to a local range. The gunbox is not as discrete (and it's considerably heavier).
jaxontarget

Post by jaxontarget »

10M_Stan wrote:I like that bag; it looks discrete and comfortable. Adding a metal latch for installing a small padlock would not be difficult to your leather bag. That should make that bag in compliance with the law (but, I'm not a lawyer).

I often carry my pistols in a old gym bag when going to a local range. The gunbox is not as discrete (and it's considerably heavier).
Now there's a great idea...I'm pretty sure I could fit a lock on the existing rivets in the tongue of the strap....I wonder if that would be in compliance. The verbiage is a bit nebulous and leaves me to wonder whether it is only requiring the vehicle itself be locked, or whether the pistol(s) be locked in a container within the vehicle. I was told by an employee of the range I go to that compliance meant having the pistol in a locked container of some sort, but my read on the law (and I'm no lawyer) is that the car only need be locked. Here is the statute verbatim with the critical passage underlined:
RCW 9.41.050
Carrying firearms.
(1)(a) Except in the person's place of abode or fixed place of business, a person shall not carry a pistol concealed on his or her person without a license to carry a concealed pistol.
(b) Every licensee shall have his or her concealed pistol license in his or her immediate possession at all times that he or she is required by this section to have a concealed pistol license and shall display the same upon demand to any police officer or to any other person when and if required by law to do so. Any violation of this subsection (1)(b) shall be a class 1 civil infraction under chapter 7.80 RCW and shall be punished accordingly pursuant to chapter 7.80 RCW and the infraction rules for courts of limited jurisdiction.
(2)(a) A person shall not carry or place a loaded pistol in any vehicle unless the person has a license to carry a concealed pistol and: (i) The pistol is on the licensee's person, (ii) the licensee is within the vehicle at all times that the pistol is there, or (iii) the licensee is away from the vehicle and the pistol is locked within the vehicle and concealed from view from outside the vehicle.
(b) A violation of this subsection is a misdemeanor.
(3)(a) A person at least eighteen years of age who is in possession of an unloaded pistol shall not leave the unloaded pistol in a vehicle unless the unloaded pistol is locked within the vehicle and concealed from view from outside the vehicle.
(b) A violation of this subsection is a misdemeanor.
(4) Nothing in this section permits the possession of firearms illegal to possess under state or federal law.
10M_Stan

Post by 10M_Stan »

My interpretation of 3(a) is that the car must be locked if a pistol is left in the car unattended and the pistol must not be visible. From what I've read (and this may be mostly in Texas) some people allow firearms to get stolen because they don't lock their cars when whey have a firearm inside. The belt and suspenders approach of having a lock on the pistol container and locking the car appears to (more than) satisfy that requirement. But then, again, I'm not a lawyer.

Also, if you don't mind my asking, where did you get that leather bag?
machinist mike

Post by machinist mike »

The cases that I was referring to are actually tool storage cases. Stock # 69318, or 62272. Outside dimensions on either are 18 x 13 x 6. Hope this helps.

Mike
SlartyBartFast

Post by SlartyBartFast »

I just bought myself a Dewalt toughsystem DS150 small case for transporting my pistols. Watertight, room for two pistols and lots of small parts and tools. Matches the larger toolboxes I have.
https://www.dewalt.com/en-us/products/g ... /dwst08201

As far as everyone in concerned (except the people who see you at the range) I'm just carrying around more of my tools.

Going to buy foam inserts for it to hold the pistols more securely. For now the pistols travel wrapped in terry cloth shop towels.

If I buy the wheeled carrier, might make a great system for all sorts of range equipment and supplies.

I would interpret the laws quoted above to mean that as long as the car is locked you're in compliance. We're required clearly by law to transport pistols with trigger locks, in an opaque box that's "sturdy", in a locked compartment (trunk) in a car if left unattended. http://www.rcmp-grc.gc.ca/cfp-pcaf/fs-f ... ge-eng.htm

And while my safety course instructor for my permit said that that way pistols could be brought with you to work to shoot later, the transportation law is clear that we're supposed to be on a direct route from storage (home) to use (range) when transporting pistols.

BTW: For increased security, if you're using a decent locked storage box, the standardised tie-down points for child seats in the truck of all newer cars work great to secure the box to the car with some cable.
- Smith & Wesson SW22 Victory
- FAS SP607