The Bullseye Clinic with Brian Zins

Brought to you by Zero Bullet Company Inc.

Moderators: pilkguns, m1963, Isabel1130

Fotomaniac

The Bullseye Clinic with Brian Zins

Post by Fotomaniac »

Are YOU in?! Only a few spots left!!!
B16688F5-217D-4BB2-83E9-F687ADBBF9DB.jpeg
Last edited by Fotomaniac on Wed Feb 07, 2018 10:22 am, edited 1 time in total.
jmdavis

Re: The Bullseye Clinic with Brain Zins

Post by jmdavis »

I would recommend this to anyone that can attend.
Rover

Post by Rover »

These guys don't wanna attend. They'd rather whine about their problems on TT.
ChipEck

Post by ChipEck »

Attended a Zins clinic and found it very useful. Not sure I would call Brian brain...but he certainly knows bullseye:-)

Chip
BenEnglishTX

Re: The Bullseye Clinic with Brian Zins

Post by BenEnglishTX »

Any "after action reports"?

I've been twice and I'm always curious what other people think of the clinic.
jmdavis

Post by jmdavis »

Trying to offer adequate written review of the Zins clinic has proven impossible for me. I have 20 pages of notes, and hours of recordings. But the fact is that he can show you things in seconds that are very difficult or impossible to explain in writing or with words. I know that I’m not the only person who says this. Several friends have also attended his clinics with and without Moody as co-instructor.

I think that the current set of videos being released by USSA helps a lot with things like grip, sighting and trigger control. They should be where a person starts but there is much more to it than what can be conveyed in the few minutes of video. Attend a clinic, preferably a full two day clinic if you can.

And don’t ignore other clinics either. My club sponsored a clinic last November with the Cabot shooting team, former Service Pistol Champion and Top Shot Competitir William Bethards, 2017 National Champion John Shue, and multi-two man team Champion Lee Fleming. I learned things from Bethards that I had not heard or seen before. But you had to be there and experience them. Listening to Keith Sanders, I have learned much too.
BenEnglishTX

Post by BenEnglishTX »

jmdavis wrote:But the fact is that he can show you things in seconds that are very difficult or impossible to explain in writing or with words.
Sometimes, though, his words are exactly what we need.

I admire Brian a great deal for his honesty. He did me the biggest favor I can imagine during the first clinic I took from him, many years ago. He asked me "What do you want to get out of this clinic?" I told him I wanted to improve my scores in competition even though that was only a partial truth as I'll explain below. He momentarily looked shocked and then spoke the most useful words I've ever heard from an instructor. To paraphrase:

"Don't. You shouldn't be shooting in matches; you're nowhere near good enough. You're just wasting time and money going to matches."

I needed to hear that and I needed to hear it said so plainly.

To be fair, he didn't just tell me I was a lousy shot and abandon me. He actually boiled down what goals I should strive for and how I should train to reach them. Because he had watched me shoot for some time he was able, in about 30 seconds, to outline a training regimen customized just for me. Since I was so terrible at the time, the training he wanted me to do was incredibly basic. It was so simplified that even a no-talent guy like me could stick with it.

Following his advice, I improved. The second time I attended his clinic, he told me I had definitely improved enough that it was no longer a waste for me to attend matches.

Oddly enough, I rarely go to matches. For me, bullseye shooting is meditation above all else. That's the whole reason I shoot. On the rare occasions when I shoot a match, it's because I simply like being on the line with other people who are concentrating, too.

But even if my goal is simply to find an activity that calms and clears the mind, it's nice when the bullet holes in the target are closer together. Zins and Moody helped me achieve that and I will be forever grateful to them.
davekp

Post by davekp »

Rover wrote:These guys don't wanna attend. They'd rather whine about their problems on TT.
If you're out of state, these locations couldn't be any worse!
Fotomaniac

Post by Fotomaniac »

davekp wrote:
Rover wrote:These guys don't wanna attend. They'd rather whine about their problems on TT.
If you're out of state, these locations couldn't be any worse!
Well... we had several come in from out of state...Florida, Rhode Island to name two...so if it is important enough to you, you’ll find a way. We are working on the next Clinics.
Possibly Ohio, Florida, and another in South Jersey. So, if you or anyone you know are looking to join us, hit me up!

Stu
Thebullseyeclinic@gmail.com

Or look us up on FBk.
0D575034-47C9-469F-94BA-14C1B9A4AB9B.jpeg
jmdavis

Post by jmdavis »

In 2016, I drove 520 miles to attend a two day Zins clinic. It was worth it.

If I had come home and immediately implemented more of what I had learned I would be in a better position today.
nglitz

Post by nglitz »

davekp wrote:If you're out of state, these locations couldn't be any worse!
You could do a whole lot worse than Palmyra. It's really a beautiful facility, run by some great shooters. For me, well worth the two hour drive for an air pistol match.

Not familiar with a range in or around Cedar Grove, but NJ's gun laws are workable.

If Stu does a clinic in south Jersey, I may finally make one. Several very good ranges that fit that description.
Norm
in beautiful, gun friendly New Jersey