.177 air rifle pellet diameters??

old, good http://www.midcoast.com/~pilkguns/bbs/

Moderators: rexifelis, pilkguns

Ken Pisichko

.177 air rifle pellet diameters??

Post by Ken Pisichko »

With snow etc it is not possible for me to get to a smallbore range so i resurrected my FWB 300S and purchased new pellets as the original H&N in plastic sleeves from the early 70s are oxidized.
Now I notice the new pellets are available in different masses and diameters. When i first got the FWB 300S there was only one type of pellet in each brand period!
Now I am really confused. The rifle shoots better than I can, but eventually i will run out of pellets (I have 5000 now). Suggestions as to what diameter to buy, or that process to go through to get "best fit" or "best accuracy"?
Ken
kenp-at-mts.net.50007.0
Len

Pellet diameters

Post by Len »

they are read from the head, I have purchased sizes running from 4,49, 4,50, 4,51.
If at all possible get a pellet that runs all three, and test from there. I am assuming that you will be shooting a 7.7 grain or so pellet so there are lots of choices.
I would suggest getting some r-10's and running some through and seeing. I have found in my experience that the lighter shooting guns like the 4,49's, your results may vary.

Mako

Re: .177 air rifle pellet diameters??

Post by Mako »

See the LINK below for Vogel pellets ... Vogel makes the equipment that the other pellet makers use to make their pellets.
Vogel is the only manufacturer of pellets that makes a pellet in 4.495 ... if they are willing to package a pellet measured to the thousandth of a Millimeter ... they must have their consistency down!
For air rifle, you want the Green Heavy's ... I would test the 4.49, 4.495 and 4.5 ... or just don't worry about it ... spend your time shooting, and buy 4.495's ... :-)
makofoto-at-earthlink.net.50035.50007