Did somebody say that some kind of pistol shooting is OK in

old, good http://www.midcoast.com/~pilkguns/bbs/

Moderators: rexifelis, pilkguns

Questor

Did somebody say that some kind of pistol shooting is OK in

Post by Questor »

I believe I read that free pistol is legal again in England. Is that true? Is there any chance that, say, sport pistol will be permitted too?
David Levene

Re: Did somebody say that some kind of pistol shooting is OK

Post by David Levene »

: I believe I read that free pistol is legal again in England. Is that true? Is there any chance that, say, sport pistol will be permitted too?
Highly unlikely I am afraid.
We are now allowed to use a special type of Free Pistol known locally as a "longarm". It is not that the laws have been relaxed to allow these guns, more a case of the guns have been proven not to be against the law as it stands.
The reason that they are not banned is that their barrels are at least 300mm long and that the overall length is at least 600mm. This overall length must be without "add-on" accessories. It has been achieved by the manufacturers fitting "non-removeable" rearward counter-balance arms. These can not be just added to an existing free pistol as, once a gun has achieved a banned status it cannot then be modified to make it legal again. The counter-balance arms must therefore be fitted before the gun leaves the factory.
As you will appreciate, sport pistol is a no-no under these ridiculous laws.
I hope this explains the situation.
dalevene-at-blueyonder.co.uk.49973.49970
ferret

Post by ferret »

> Is there any chance that, say, sport pistol will be permitted too?
The rules for sport pistol don't allow the size required (see link).
But I've seen images of PPC revolvers made according to the same principles (don't have a link, sorry, but they perhaps look even more weird than these free pistols).
Mac

Post by Mac »

: I believe I read that free pistol is legal again in England. Is that true? Is there any chance that, say, sport pistol will be permitted too?
Any Scotland, and Wales! UK and England aren't the same thing!!!