Need Suggestions On Pelican Cases For AP

old, good http://www.midcoast.com/~pilkguns/bbs/

Moderators: rexifelis, pilkguns

DaveS

Need Suggestions On Pelican Cases For AP

Post by DaveS »

I have been looking at the range of Pelican cases trying to decide which would be the most appropriate for AP. My pistol barely fits into a Gehmann attache style case that I have with an interior around 17", so I think that a minimum,ideal ID would be about 19". I want to have the room to condense all of my AP needs into one case...headset,glasses,etc. The 1550 seems to be the better choice of the models that my dealer stocks. Perhaps there are others that are more suitable. Does anyone have any suggestions on which models seems to be favored among the AP shooters?
TIA,
dfs
Mark Kelly

Re: Need Suggestions On Pelican Cases For AP

Post by Mark Kelly »

I have used a pelican 1550 for both my free pistol and air pistol for some time now. With just an air pistol you should have plenty of room for the extra things like shooting glasses, pellets etc. Knock on wood the airlines have not destroyed it yet. It should serve you well.
Greg

Check out the STORM brand

Post by Greg »

I work at a camera store and we have stocked Pelican over the years and they have been great cases. The latches are hard to open though.
The storm cases are supposed to be as tough, but a lot easier to open.
http://www.stormcasesonline.net/index.asp?bhcp=1
Hope this helps
Greg
Sandy Santibanez

Suggestion On Pelican Cases

Post by Sandy Santibanez »

I like Pelican Cases. Depending on how much you want to put inside and how much you want to lug around, there are basically three choices. I have a 1600 for when I carry four pistols and assorted gear, a 1550 for my AP and most everything that I might need but both of them are very bulky. The 1490 Computer Case is really the most efficient. It is my best choice and the one that I use the most. It is much smaller, and has locks included in the latches. In the 1490 I have the AP, spare cylinder, pellet shaker box, a tin of pellets, Champion glass case, timer, custom ear plug case, pressure gauge, hex wrench set, screwdriver, the filler adaptor, filler adaptor wrench, my cylinder weights and a film box with extra parts. All this fits comfortably in the case and it is easy to carry. The ear muffs and scuba filler yoke are carried separately. Look at the 1490, you will like it.

tenx-at-san.rr.com.49715.49698
Sandy Santibanez

Post by Sandy Santibanez »

Knock on wood the airlines have not destroyed it yet. It should serve you well.
If the airlines damage a Pelican case, it has a lifetime warranty. Pelican will just give you a new one when you give them the damaged case. They have replaced two of mine that had many, many miles on them and the latches were damaged. No questions asked, just replaced them when I took them in to the factory. It took less than five minutes and I walked out the door with two new cases.

tenx-at-san.rr.com.49717.49702
Ed Knutson

Post by Ed Knutson »

Dave:
I agree that Pelikan Cases are one of the best and we have used many of them for years.
I think you might like to consider the "Starlight" Cases. They are make by a Disabled Veteran in the USA and are excellent by all measures. They tend to be lighter than comparable Pelikan cases and are apparently just as rugged or perhaps more so. I have personally used mine now for three years in International Air Travel with perfect results. Many sizes available.
Check their Website at http://www.starlightcases.com/
I have no connection with this company other than being an impressed and satisfied customer.
Ed Knutson
the2lts-at-earthlink.net.49734.49698
R.M.

Re: Check out the STORM brand

Post by R.M. »

I will second the vote for the Storm case.
When my wife and I decided to bite the so called bullet, and get decent travel cases, we ordered her a
Pelican. I wanted to wait and see if the size we got her was sufficient for my needs. Low and behold, I
couldn't stand my free pistol upright as I wanted in the Pelican we bought her. As I surfed around the
http://www.cases4less.com/ site, I found the Storm cases. They had one slightly larger than the Pelican,
and it seemed to fit my needs, and it did.
As Greg said, the Pelican latches can be difficult. The Storm's are much easier to operate. The foam in
the Storm case seemed to be easier to work with also. It stays together better. And to top it all off, the
Storm cases are cheaper in price, yet the same or better quality than Pelican in our opinion.
R.M.

: I work at a camera store and we have stocked Pelican over the years and they have been great cases. The latches are hard to open though.
: The storm cases are supposed to be as tough, but a lot easier to open.
: http://www.stormcasesonline.net/index.asp?bhcp=1
: Hope this helps
: Greg

mumby-at-cips.ca.49741.49706
DaveS

Thanks All !

Post by DaveS »

Thanks for the suggestions guys. I took a look at the Starlight cases and didn't see anything on their website that would be about 19" unless I missed something. The STORM brand has a SC-091220 model that is similar in size to the Pelican 1550 for about a third less. I also took a look at the attache styled Pelican 1490. That's similar to what I'm using right now and bagging my headset and glasses. The overall minumum dimensions are limited by the width of the pistol ~17" and the depth of my glasses case ~6" if I want to keep it all together. I was hoping to find that there was a popular consensus of a favored dimension or models that are popular with those that travel.
Thanks again,
dfs