Two-hand hold vs. one-hand hold

old, good http://www.midcoast.com/~pilkguns/bbs/

Moderators: rexifelis, pilkguns

Olivier S

Two-hand hold vs. one-hand hold

Post by Olivier S »

I'm new in air pistol shooting and I intuitively started with a two-hand hold. I have the impression that most air pistol shooters shoot with one hand. What is the disadvantage of a two-hand hold versus one-hand hold?
Thanks a lot in advance.
David Levene

Re: Two-hand hold vs. one-hand hold

Post by David Levene »

: I'm new in air pistol shooting and I intuitively started with a two-hand hold. I have the impression that most air pistol shooters shoot with one hand. What is the disadvantage of a two-hand hold versus one-hand hold?
: Thanks a lot in advance.
The biggest disadvantage, at least for competitions run under ISSF rules, is that you are only allowed to use a single handed hold.
dalevene-at-blueyonder.co.uk.49491.49490
tj

Post by tj »

: : I'm new in air pistol shooting and I intuitively started with a two-hand hold. I have the impression that most air pistol shooters shoot with one hand. What is the disadvantage of a two-hand hold versus one-hand hold?
: : Thanks a lot in advance.
: The biggest disadvantage, at least for competitions run under ISSF rules, is that you are only allowed to use a single handed hold.

shootingsports-at-ev1.net.49493.49491
tj

Post by tj »

Unless I am shooting by some rule, I always use two hands and/or a rest of some kind. Common sense to use the most stable hold available.

: I'm new in air pistol shooting and I intuitively started with a two-hand hold. I have the impression that most air pistol shooters shoot with one hand. What is the disadvantage of a two-hand hold versus one-hand hold?

shootingsports-at-ev1.net.49495.49490
Larry

Post by Larry »

Well, this is a discussion board for Olympic style shooting. Therefore most of us shoot Olympic style air pistol, which is shot with one hand. There is little point in shooting with a two-handed hold if you care about the quality of your performance in relation to the sport...
As a new shooter, you may want to shoot exercises from a rest on blank targets to work on individual elements of technique without the distraction of pistol wobble, but there is little to be gained shooting with two hands.

Don 90250

Newbie question: one-hand hold

Post by Don 90250 »

: The biggest disadvantage, at least for competitions run under ISSF rules, is that you are only allowed to use a single handed hold.
This may sound like a stupid question, but that's okay. I may be dumb but I'm ugly.
It feels to me the most natural one hand grip, without rotational torque on the forearm, would be with the handgun rotated ccw 45 degrees with the index finger on top, almost like a "gangsta" grip.
What is the biomechanical reason for the traditional grip vertical orientation?

dm03tv-at-yahoo.com.49508.49491
David Levene

Re: Newbie question: one-hand hold

Post by David Levene »

: : The biggest disadvantage, at least for competitions run under ISSF rules, is that you are only allowed to use a single handed hold.
: This may sound like a stupid question, but that's okay. I may be dumb but I'm ugly.
: It feels to me the most natural one hand grip, without rotational torque on the forearm, would be with the handgun rotated ccw 45 degrees with the index finger on top, almost like a "gangsta" grip.
: What is the biomechanical reason for the traditional grip vertical orientation?
This "may" work with a short pistol but I would have thought that the extra length of a competition air pistol would have required too tight a grip on the pistol and additional tension in the wrist.
dalevene-at-blueyonder.co.uk.49526.49508
Pat McCoy

Re: Newbie question: one-hand hold

Post by Pat McCoy »

: : It feels to me the most natural one hand grip, without rotational torque on the forearm, would be with the handgun rotated ccw 45 degrees with the index finger on top, almost like a "gangsta" grip.
The old "Skanaker" (sp?) co2 pistol was set up this way (with about 15 oe 20 degree rotation), and although I'm not a pistol shooter, I found it very comfortable and easy to shoot. Rotating the forearm relaxes the top muscle in the foream, allowing less tension. Don't know why this went away. Perhaps a pistol shooter can adress this particluar pistol.

patmccoyagency-at-wyoming.com.49534.49526
Gary

the palm rest

Post by Gary »

In looking at my grip and holding the AP, you need to have the grip vertical for the palm rest to function. The palm rest compensates for the forward balance of the air pistol. As you rotate the pistol beyond a certain point from vertical, the effectiveness of the palm rest decreases and heads towards zero. To compensate for the lack of effectiveness of the palm rest, you must support the forward balance of the AP with a TIGHT grip.
just my opinion
Gary
Don 90250

Palm up???

Post by Don 90250 »

: The old "Skanaker" (sp?) co2 pistol was set up this way (with about 15 oe 20 degree rotation), and although I'm not a pistol shooter, I found it very comfortable and easy to shoot. Rotating the forearm relaxes the top muscle in the foream, allowing less tension. Don't know why this went away. Perhaps a pistol shooter can adress this particluar pistol.
This just showed up on the bullseye-l list. Exactly the opposite of what I was asking about!
"Minder won the World Championship at Seoul SK in 1978 with a score of 576. He had a leather grip with laces that held his hand into the gun. I was told by his shooting buddy that the entire reason for doing the 90 degree, palm up shooting was to negate the problem he had with his trigger finger moving the print in the jerk area. With the palm up, the trigger finger pulled up against gravity and the problem went away. He solved his problem his way and stuck with it to his benefit. No book suggested this solution and no manual ever recommended his solution. But, he ist die WeltMeister of Free Pistol and we are not."

dm03tv-at-yahoo.com.49555.49534
David Levene

Re: Palm up???

Post by David Levene »

: "Minder won the World Championship at Seoul SK in 1978 with a score of 576. He had a leather grip with laces that held his hand into the gun. I was told by his shooting buddy that the entire reason for doing the 90 degree, palm up shooting was to negate the problem he had with his trigger finger moving the print in the jerk area. With the palm up, the trigger finger pulled up against gravity and the problem went away. He solved his problem his way and stuck with it to his benefit. No book suggested this solution and no manual ever recommended his solution. But, he ist die WeltMeister of Free Pistol and we are not."

And how many top shooters have used it since?

dalevene-at-blueyonder.co.uk.49566.49555