Anybody switch hands while shooting?

old, good http://www.midcoast.com/~pilkguns/bbs/

Moderators: rexifelis, pilkguns

Jeff

Anybody switch hands while shooting?

Post by Jeff »

I know it's weird, but...
...I was at a PTO recently and after finishing, for the hell of it fired another 20 shots on sighting targets with my left hand (I'm a right/right shooter). I really didn't do too bad (althought the contoured grip on the Izzy was painful) was thinking maybe for my next upgrade should get a pistol like the Hammerli AP40 that can be fired with either hand.
Wouldn't there be an advantage to switching hands in a match? Once an arm tired? After all, if the whole thing is 90% mental...
Dam 8

Re: Anybody switch hands while shooting?

Post by Dam 8 »

If you somewhat ambi-dextrous itworks out pretty good. I've done it with my Izzy and also my LP1: I know it's weird, but...
: ...I was at a PTO recently and after finishing, for the hell of it fired another 20 shots on sighting targets with my left hand (I'm a right/right shooter). I really didn't do too bad (althought the contoured grip on the Izzy was painful) was thinking maybe for my next upgrade should get a pistol like the Hammerli AP40 that can be fired with either hand.
: Wouldn't there be an advantage to switching hands in a match? Once an arm tired? After all, if the whole thing is 90% mental...

Rod G.

Post by Rod G. »

I switched from right to left to help a rotator cuff injury heal. I then had to switch back to right due to a left forearm injury. Darned luck! I did invest in a LH grip for my K2.
I've never tried switching during the same day or match.
I also haven't risen to my old scoring level before the first injury, but it's nice to have an option. I hate missing my night at the range.
Regards,
Rod G.

lowkey-at-autobahn.mb.ca.49399.49394
John Zurek

Post by John Zurek »

It is a good practice Jeff...no telling when you may need to give your primary arm a rest, or in my case, when I broke my primary shooting wrist and it knocked me out of the race(for a few years)!!!
Now I make it a practice of shooting 20 shots primary, 10 secondary(backup)during my training sessions. In addition to giving my primary a rest(I work with my hands all day long, swinging a hammer, etc.) it also helps me understand how important trigger release is even when the gun is moving ALOT...and I still hold the 9 ring! Lastly, I use it as a confidence builder. Being able to hold a 9 ring group with gross movement using my weak hand helps build my confidence with my primary as there is little or no movement.

JZnAZ-at-aol.com.49454.49394