Postal Matches. Long Post!

old, good http://www.midcoast.com/~pilkguns/bbs/

Moderators: rexifelis, pilkguns

Lane

Postal Matches. Long Post!

Post by Lane »

If you want to see a first class postal match that is NRA approved. Check into the Jon Powell match. The problem with the postal matches, is getting someone who has the time and desire to do all of the work and score all of the targets and send out the awards and pay for and run the web site. Every postal match that I have been in. Sooner or later overwhelms the sponcer and it dies a slow death. This just happened to Jon Powell when he got caught up in his own clubs problems that took away his attention to the postal match. We had 14 shooters from Florida that shot his match. The web site went to pot and his work load at his club got in the way of posting scores in a timely manor. Several people thought the match was cancelled or done away with. They got out of the habit of shooting the match and you will never get them all back to doing it again. He was running appox. 60 shooters at the peak. His last match I belive was down to 15 to 17 shooters. This man must have spent days if not weeks running this top of the line Poastal match. I don't know if it will ever get back to the full range of shooters. I know that Scott and Warren are up to their ears in running a business and keeping this web page going. But they would be the perfect people to put on a first class postal match. It is going to cost some money for fees and mailing etc. Their benefit out of all of this? It spurs an interest in shooting. That means people buy guns and sparks an interest in supplies and targets. If you don't have a place to shoot or show your skills. Then what is the reason to get better or to buy new equipment. I can't imagine the air pistols and rifles that are being used in the hall ways and basements and garges etc. The last air pistol and free pistol I bought(from Scott) was bought to shoot in postal matches. If it weren't for the postals! Scott would not have sold them to me. I would buy and air rifle if there was more shooting them in the postals and if the clotheing rules were waved. I think that the shooting equipment suppliers have a stake in this as it spurs all of us to buy or upgrade our equipment.There are thousands of home and basement shooters who will never shoot in a shoulder to shoulder match. They represent a very large customer base that should not be forgotten. Ither by the NRA or the equipment suppliers. Sorry for the long post. Just was voiceing an opinion. Thanks for your patience.
LesJ

Why not joining High Noon or Canadian Postal?

Post by LesJ »

:
Lane

Re: Why not joining High Noon or Canadian Postal?

Post by Lane »

I just posted my free pistol score on the Canadian site and will be shooting my air pistol next week as well as the standard pistol. Those scores will be put up as soon as they are shot. I don't shoot one score and post it on four different sites. I shoot each postal as a match and I only shoot the 60 shot matches. I don't belive in the short courses or the reshoot matches that you keep shooting and only post your highest score. I try and make the postals as close to a real match as I can.If I shoot Jon powells matches ( three 60 shot courses ) and the Canadian matches. That is about all I can shoot and still maintain a competitive outlook. The Canadian match's allow you to shoot four guns. Air, Free, Std. Center fire. That is a match a week and then throw in Jon powells match. It keeps me busy I work hard on all my shooting and if you do what you are supposed to and use up all of the time. You are a beat pup when you get finished. Jon Powels matches are NRA approved and you get your qualification card and can rise up thru the ranks. Between Jon Powells match and the High Noon match and the Target Shooting Canada match. It should give everyone a good chance to shoot a postal. How long these matches will continue is any ones guess. They encompass an awful lot of dedication and work and money to put on. Thank heavens that they are doing it.

LesJ

Re: Why not joining High Noon or Canadian Postal?

Post by LesJ »

They provide some kind of competition to those who do not have access to "shoulder to shoulder" competition, additional competition to those who do not have enough like me, they are free and convenience, perfect training tool, but whenever possible it is grate to attend major match just to taste the real competition.
Glenn

Re: Postal Matches. Long Post!

Post by Glenn »

: If you want to see a first class postal match that is NRA approved. Check into the Jon Powell match. The problem with the postal matches, is getting someone who has the time and desire to do all of the work and score all of the targets and send out the awards and pay for and run the web site. Every postal match that I have been in. Sooner or later overwhelms the sponcer and it dies a slow death. This just happened to Jon Powell when he got caught up in his own clubs problems that took away his attention to the postal match. We had 14 shooters from Florida that shot his match. The web site went to pot and his work load at his club got in the way of posting scores in a timely manor. Several people thought the match was cancelled or done away with. They got out of the habit of shooting the match and you will never get them all back to doing it again. He was running appox. 60 shooters at the peak. His last match I belive was down to 15 to 17 shooters. This man must have spent days if not weeks running this top of the line Poastal match. I don't know if it will ever get back to the full range of shooters. I know that Scott and Warren are up to their ears in running a business and keeping this web page going. But they would be the perfect people to put on a first class postal match. It is going to cost some money for fees and mailing etc. Their benefit out of all of this? It spurs an interest in shooting. That means people buy guns and sparks an interest in supplies and targets. If you don't have a place to shoot or show your skills. Then what is the reason to get better or to buy new equipment. I can't imagine the air pistols and rifles that are being used in the hall ways and basements and garges etc. The last air pistol and free pistol I bought(from Scott) was bought to shoot in postal matches. If it weren't for the postals! Scott would not have sold them to me. I would buy and air rifle if there was more shooting them in the postals and if the clotheing rules were waved. I think that the shooting equipment suppliers have a stake in this as it spurs all of us to buy or upgrade our equipment.There are thousands of home and basement shooters who will never shoot in a shoulder to shoulder match. They represent a very large customer base that should not be forgotten. Ither by the NRA or the equipment suppliers. Sorry for the long post. Just was voiceing an opinion. Thanks for your patience.
I am new to the game and am wondering what the web-addy is for the Jon Powell postal match ??
Thanks;
glenn

buckeyeair-at-earthlink.net.49357.49351
Grzegorz

Re: Postal Matches. Rules.

Post by Grzegorz »

The main problems of postal matches are the rules. In my opinion any fee, awards, etc. immediately kill postals. Not only because it is time and money consuming. If there is a fee or awards the organizer is obliged to provide rules that confirm a REAL score submitted. And that is simply not possible in classic postals. It is even difficult for real matches, so imagine this “mission impossible” for postals! Sending targets – for what? To score them? Anybody can do that! It is simple... Why bother with sending them via oceans? And who proves that these targets were shot at 10 m? If this is a problem of honor – the rule no1 of the High Noon postal for example – the same applies to scoring procedure by a shooter. So...
Recently my colleagues from Poland (Jola Samulewicz and Co:-) found another idea... As it is very expensive to move and gather all the young shooters in one place they stated that it will be cheaper if there are referees who move... So one club sends referee to another and let’s say 10 clubs at the same time shot at their own ranges a match – only referees are from outside. Another idea – the referees are from the club. They are obliged however to sign with their names scores shot during the match – they certify that with the honor. I like these ideas, however – as a coach – I realize perfectly that such matches should be run ONLY as additional tools in coaching procedure. Particularly for very young and young shooters, when we can mimick start conditions.
I like these ideas and – this is not “empty” statement – I plan to run such international match in the frame of the High Noon Postal. As you can easily predict this will start at high noon (Hadleyville, New Mexico local time) for ... all shooters in the world :-). Friends from Europe will shot therefore late evening and our Japanese friends - extremely early morning :-( Sorry!
Results from all ranges confirmed by a local referee will be posted on the High Noon. If you like this idea or not – share your opinion. We have time...
Have fun,
Grzegorz

Dan Hankins

Post by Dan Hankins »

I am a big fan of the High Noon Competition. I participate as much as I can.
There certainly is honor amoung participants. I have made friends with and on rare occasions, had the good fortune to shoot with and corespond with sone of the other competitors.
The idea of honor is not dead, it's just a little harder to find. After shooting in and following the High Noon Competition, you soon get an idea of who is honorable in reporting scores, and who is posting results that seem a little unrealistic.
I would agree that the postals do not take the place of sholder to sholder competition. Unfortunately, there are some of us that live in areas that have no competition for air guns. Some of us old guys are taking medications that would make us unable to compete, or dead, if we choose to comply. So there is a place for postal matches.
There are many reasons, both real and imagined that a shooter may not be able to compete at matches. Thank God for the High Noon Competition.
I am done now.
Respectfully,
Dan Hankins AKA Bubba

DanielHankiins-at-wmconnect.com.49366.49360
Mark Rogers

Post by Mark Rogers »

I too am a fan of the postals - I usually compete in 3 at a time, including the High Noon. In my area there are no matches for air pistol, so the postals are the only thing going for most of the year. With only 1 match a year in Nebraska and Colorado Springs being 7 hours away, it can be a lonely life :-)
As far as the honor system, who are you really fooling by posting a "juiced-up" score? I shoot each postal as if it were a match. I do wish I could participate in more matches and meet the competitors. Shooting at the 3X Air Pistol last month at OTC was a great experience, meeting and picking the brains of our better shooters.
Postals are indeed important. With no one else around who even has heard of 10M pistol and rifle, it is the only outlet. The honor system works for those who abide by it and for those that don't, they are only fooling themselves.
And so it goes.
Mark
: I am a big fan of the High Noon Competition. I participate as much as I can.
: There certainly is honor amoung participants. I have made friends with and on rare occasions, had the good fortune to shoot with and corespond with sone of the other competitors.
: The idea of honor is not dead, it's just a little harder to find. After shooting in and following the High Noon Competition, you soon get an idea of who is honorable in reporting scores, and who is posting results that seem a little unrealistic.
: I would agree that the postals do not take the place of sholder to sholder competition. Unfortunately, there are some of us that live in areas that have no competition for air guns. Some of us old guys are taking medications that would make us unable to compete, or dead, if we choose to comply. So there is a place for postal matches.
: There are many reasons, both real and imagined that a shooter may not be able to compete at matches. Thank God for the High Noon Competition.
: I am done now.
: Respectfully,
: Dan Hankins AKA Bubba

Grzegorz

Post by Grzegorz »

I am affried I has been misunderstood a little. I just wanted to state that there is no reason to bother with sending targets etc. By this I wanted to present my opinion that it is ENOUGH to fix one rule only - no1, a honor rule. That was my intention. Since October 2000 I had only few score submitted I was not sure if they are realistic! 99.9% are absolutely correct in my opinion. One case I remember so high results in AP events appeard for a novice shooter. I asked him about it via e-mail and we found together that he simply and unintentionally used not correctly reduced targets. He immediatelly removed his score, re-shot a match and submit a correct one result. Such example gives power to work with the postal! Moreover - even if any dishonored guy would submit any score taken for bleu then ... what's happen? Are you care? Would this change anything for YOU, who follows rule no1?
Anyway, have fun!
Grzegorz
Eyestone

Postal matches and the honor system

Post by Eyestone »

Were it not for postals, and particularly the NRA sanctioned one Jon Powell ramrods, I would have given up on 10M AP shortly after taking it up. There simply isn't the interest in it necessary to foster new clubs, nor to persuade existing clubs to add any type of airgun component. I daresay for the large majority of us there's *no* place to go to participate in shoulder-to-shoulder airgun competition; or if there is it's, a "fer piece" away. Sending referees to clubs will absolutely validate scores, but won't add clubs nor increase the opportunity to shoot.
I know the honor system has holes in it. However, I like to believe it's about 99% credible. I enjoy participating in several online "postals", including the High Noon (although I've been absent from it for awhile) as well as other matches, such as the Challenge and Silhoutte Shoots that are made availabe by Sam Corlett and linked to the Straight Shooters board.
I particulary want to acknowledge and thank Jon Powell for making an actual, real, *sanctioned* 10M AP postal available. I was able to honestly establish a NRA ranking through it, which was a *big deal* to me. Had I not had that opportunity my enthusiasm for shooting would have long ago have been fini.
respectfully,
Joe Bateman, aka Eyestone
eyestonejoe-at-netscape.com.49437.49360