FWB 80 problem

old, good http://www.midcoast.com/~pilkguns/bbs/

Moderators: rexifelis, pilkguns

Ted

FWB 80 problem

Post by Ted »

I coach a junior air pistol team and one shooter is using a fwb 80 that had something unusual happen to it and I would like to know if someone else had this problem and what might the fix be.
After shooting sighters, the shooter started record shots and the gun started to shoot high. shooter tried to adjust sights and the gun still shot high. I thought it was just the shooter making the common mistake of adjusting the sights the wrong way but, when I shot the gun at the next practice. It shot high and even though I adjusted the sights all the way down (and yes I clicked the sights both ways to make sure I was going in the right direction!) the gun's point of impact was still high (it is putting the shots about 4 inches high). So the gun is now shooting high even though the sights are adjusted to the lowest point they can. This gun has never done this before. I checked all the screws, etc... and everything is tight on it. Any help would be greatly appreciated!
coraem02-at-bellsouth.net.49289.0
Alex

Re: FWB 80 problem

Post by Alex »

Check the recoil pad and slide. Make sure the gun is moving forward and backward when you are cocking it.
I have a model 65, which has a similar action.
I found this helped solve the problem.
Check that the front sight screw is not loose.

lizlace-at-bigpond.com.49293.49289
Len

Post by Len »

How's the gun sound? how does it feel?

Ted

Post by Ted »

The gun feels like usual and I have noticed no difference in felt recoil or sound which would indicate a velocity issue. The front sight is a little loose and I have tried to rescrew it and this doesn't help tighten it any. I am afraid to tighten it too much Any suggestions here?
Also, I have not checked the slide when it's cocked to see if the movement is normal. I have another one on the team and I will do a thorough comparison to it to see if I can pick up anything tomorrow. Len and Alex,thanks for your help so far!

coraem02-at-bellsouth.net.49347.49293
Alex

Post by Alex »

Check whether the screw at the back of the cocking arm is loose. If it is loose, it may be rubbing against the frame, and that can cause the gun to jump high. (Been there, done that!!!)
Have you checked the main spring? There are 2 springs. You may need a gunsmith to check this out.
With the front sight - use locktight, to secure the screw.

lizlace-at-bigpond.com.49358.49347
Len

It sounds like your seal or spring is shot

Post by Len »

If it's not the anti recoil device, then I'm going to GUESS the piston seal or mainspring is shot, broken, taken a set...something.
If you can't figure it out on your own, Pilk, Slade or someone of the like can probably fix it.
Ted

Post by Ted »

Len and Alex,
Thanks guys! I haven't been able to solve the problem but have have gotten some good info from you about fwb 80 problems. I will send the gun to pilkguns shortly!

coraem02-at-bellsouth.net.49398.49358
Villo

Post by Villo »

Ted!
Check the front sight housing...there is a tapered pin holding the front sight housing in the right position. If that pin is loose the front sights moves around. This is not the screw for the front sight blade, but a pin,further down,perpendicular to the barrel and below the barrel.
Buena suerte.
Villo

marmei_v-at-pathcom.com.49405.49398