TOZ-35 Help

old, good http://www.midcoast.com/~pilkguns/bbs/

Moderators: rexifelis, pilkguns

Claudio

TOZ-35 Help

Post by Claudio »

We shot Free Pistol recently. Two TOZ-35 Free Pistols would not fire sometimes, seems like it's in dry fire mode. We had to unload and repeat the process in order to get it to shoot. One TOZ did it a few times but the other did it a few times every ten shots.
Anyone experience the same thing? Anyone know what the problem is and how to fix it? Shooting free pistol is hard enough on its own and too distracting with this problem.
Thank you for any assistance.
incrocci-at-shaw.ca.49245.0
R.M.

Re: TOZ-35 Help

Post by R.M. »

Claudio
I've seen this happen when the sear is set too fine.
Try giving the sear a little more engagement, it could help.
R.M.

: We shot Free Pistol recently. Two TOZ-35 Free Pistols would not fire sometimes, seems like it's in dry fire mode. We had to unload and repeat the process in order to get it to shoot. One TOZ did it a few times but the other did it a few times every ten shots.
: Anyone experience the same thing? Anyone know what the problem is and how to fix it? Shooting free pistol is hard enough on its own and too distracting with this problem.
: Thank you for any assistance.

mumby-at-cips.ca.49249.49245
Mark.

Post by Mark. »

Claudio,
What you describe is a very common symptom with TOZ 35's. It happens to me once in a while. The most common cause of this is actually very simple. It's easy to not move the cocking lever far enough forward when ejecting the empty cartridge. When this happens you'll have a pistol which feels like it's fully cocked, but it's not. And when you squeeze the trigger you get just the sensation of the trigger accellerator machanism going off as in dry firing.
Moving the cocking lever fully forward in a brisk fashion each and every time you open the action will ensure you don't have this problem again. When you first start shooting a pistol you tend to go very gently about moving the action parts - this is because most of us are afraid to break a new gun. Don't be afraid. The TOZ is built like a tank. Move that cocking lever all the way forward, hard and fast. You'll get good ejection this way, and you'll be sure to get the hammer fully cocked.
There are two other causes of this problem. The first one has to do with grip fit. Sometimes (particularly when you've fitted an aftermarket grip like a Morini) there will be some interference between the grip and the cocking lever which prevents the cocking lever from moving fully forward. Five minutes with a chisel or Dremel tool usually fixes this little problem. (Yup, that happened to me when I first installed my Morini grips.)
The second cause is also fairly prevalent and requires diligence on the part of the shooter. Accumulations of dirt, oil, priming compound, etc in and around the breach block will often prevent the firing pin from moving back into the fully cocked position. The TOZ breach block is so easy to take apart that I clean mine after every 200 or 300 shots. It only takes a few minutes, and it's good practice so you'll be ready to replace the firing pin spring should one go soft on you in the middle of a match.
BTW - if you don't have a spare firing pin spring, let me know as I have a source for new springs.

Mark.
Bill Abernethy

Post by Bill Abernethy »

For the first time in the 7 or 8 years I've had it, I'm having problems with my TOZ as well. It's not the partial cocking problem that Mark accurately describes in his post. I'm getting firing pin marks on the ammo rim. It may be a dirt problem, but I keep it pretty clean. I guess I'll try again.
Bill Abernethy
bill-at-wccnet.org.49267.49245
JLK

Mark, can you email me your spring source please?

Post by JLK »

: Claudio,
: What you describe is a very common symptom with TOZ 35's. It happens to me once in a while. The most common cause of this is actually very simple. It's easy to not move the cocking lever far enough forward when ejecting the empty cartridge. When this happens you'll have a pistol which feels like it's fully cocked, but it's not. And when you squeeze the trigger you get just the sensation of the trigger accellerator machanism going off as in dry firing.
: Moving the cocking lever fully forward in a brisk fashion each and every time you open the action will ensure you don't have this problem again. When you first start shooting a pistol you tend to go very gently about moving the action parts - this is because most of us are afraid to break a new gun. Don't be afraid. The TOZ is built like a tank. Move that cocking lever all the way forward, hard and fast. You'll get good ejection this way, and you'll be sure to get the hammer fully cocked.
: There are two other causes of this problem. The first one has to do with grip fit. Sometimes (particularly when you've fitted an aftermarket grip like a Morini) there will be some interference between the grip and the cocking lever which prevents the cocking lever from moving fully forward. Five minutes with a chisel or Dremel tool usually fixes this little problem. (Yup, that happened to me when I first installed my Morini grips.)
: The second cause is also fairly prevalent and requires diligence on the part of the shooter. Accumulations of dirt, oil, priming compound, etc in and around the breach block will often prevent the firing pin from moving back into the fully cocked position. The TOZ breach block is so easy to take apart that I clean mine after every 200 or 300 shots. It only takes a few minutes, and it's good practice so you'll be ready to replace the firing pin spring should one go soft on you in the middle of a match.
: BTW - if you don't have a spare firing pin spring, let me know as I have a source for new springs.
:
: Mark.

jlkonn-at-aol.com.49273.49250
Claudio

Could you e-mail us or post the source here

Post by Claudio »

: BTW - if you don't have a spare firing pin spring, let me know as I have a source for new springs.
Hello Mark,
The only place I know, is Nygord. Could you email us or just post your source here. There might be others that need it as well.
Thanks
incrocci-at-shaw.ca.49274.49250
Mark.

Post by Mark. »

If you're getting firing pin marks on the case there are several possibilities to investigate.
1) Build up of dirt and bullet lube in the groove intended to receive the rim of the cartridge case. If there's a buildup, it can act as something like a shock absorber and prevent the full firing pin energy from crushing the case rim. A dental pic or similar tool works well to clean out this recess.
2) Build up of dirt in the breach block, preventing full forward travel of the firing pin. Nothing that a good thorough cleaning won't solve! It's sometimes tough to get cleaning tools right down into the front end of the breach block. I've been using a t-shirt rag wrapped over the blunted tip of a slot-head screwdriver for this task.
3) Weak firing pin spring. The TOZ springs go from good to bad fairly quickly. I've been making my own springs and can supply spares if desired.
4) Broken/worn firing pin. I mention this last because it's the most expensive and most difficult part to get. Obviously the one you want to change last!
I wish you good success in restoring your TOZ to fully operational status.

Mark.

Bill Abernethy

Post by Bill Abernethy »

Mark--
Thanks for the very useful post. Cleaned the hell out of it last night and went out to my little 50 ft range and shot 30 rounds without misfire. Maybe that's all it was.
Bill

: If you're getting firing pin marks on the case there are several possibilities to investigate.
: 1) Build up of dirt and bullet lube in the groove intended to receive the rim of the cartridge case. If there's a buildup, it can act as something like a shock absorber and prevent the full firing pin energy from crushing the case rim. A dental pic or similar tool works well to clean out this recess.
: 2) Build up of dirt in the breach block, preventing full forward travel of the firing pin. Nothing that a good thorough cleaning won't solve! It's sometimes tough to get cleaning tools right down into the front end of the breach block. I've been using a t-shirt rag wrapped over the blunted tip of a slot-head screwdriver for this task.
: 3) Weak firing pin spring. The TOZ springs go from good to bad fairly quickly. I've been making my own springs and can supply spares if desired.
: 4) Broken/worn firing pin. I mention this last because it's the most expensive and most difficult part to get. Obviously the one you want to change last!
: I wish you good success in restoring your TOZ to fully operational status.
:

bill-at-wccnet.org.49329.49292
Mark.

Post by Mark. »

Let's hope that's the end of your troubles, Bill. The unfortunate fact we have to face is that free pistols contain fairly delicate mechanisms which sooner or later will get gummed up with dirt. Regular cleaning and a little TLC go a long way to keeping these babies purring like kittens!

Mark.