Do you raise your shoulder or not?

old, good http://www.midcoast.com/~pilkguns/bbs/

Moderators: rexifelis, pilkguns

Mark

Do you raise your shoulder or not?

Post by Mark »

Well, I've been playing with my recently acquired Toz and I was starting to think the grip angle was a little too steep to be comfortable. Every time I raised the gun, the front sight was about a half inch above the notch unless I forced my wrist to bend further down.
Then, on a whim, raised my shoulder up towards my chin...and the sights were dead on. I went glanced back at my copy of Yur'yev's book, and I noticed it looked like most, if not all of the Russian shooters raised their shoulders up (try doing a shoulder shrug, then extend your shooting hand out as if to shoot). Normally, I just rais my arm, but not my shoulder.
I was wondering if y'all raise your shoulders or not? Anyone know the theory behind this either way? Thoughts/comments?
Questor

Re: Do you raise your shoulder or not?

Post by Questor »

I don't shoot a TOZ, but I do shoot a 1911 and it helps me to raise my shoulder when shooting that gun. I think it has to do with the grip angle because I don't need to do it with other guns. I've noticed some excellent shooters doing the same with the 1911. My theory is that if it yields better results, then it should be done.
Cletus Smerling

Re: Do you raise your shoulder or not?

Post by Cletus Smerling »

Why introduce more muscle tension than necessary? Relaxed is a much better position, and you won't risk muscle tremors, sore neck, etc.
I say fix the grip, or adjust your wrist. One or both of them is wrong.
: I was wondering if y'all raise your shoulders or not? Anyone know the theory behind this either way? Thoughts/comments?