Dry-firing in general and a IZH-46M?

old, good http://www.midcoast.com/~pilkguns/bbs/

Moderators: rexifelis, pilkguns

Don 90250

Dry-firing in general and a IZH-46M?

Post by Don 90250 »

I read the threads below on dry-firing, but I'm trying to learn more about air pistols. In general, how does dry-firing under compression damage an air pistol? Or does it? Specifically, would dry-firing under compression a IZH-46M damage it? If it does, I already read about how to dry-fire it without compression. Thanks. Don P

don.putnick-at-earthlink.net.49124.0
Rodm

Re: Dry-firing in general and a IZH-46M?

Post by Rodm »

Back in the old days when an "air gun" mostly ment a spring action compressed air the hard and fast rule that you should never ever dry fire an air gun came about. Dry fireing a springer will damage the action because it depends on the compression of the air to cussion the action from slamming into the end of the cylinder. Now with most of the competitive guns no longer being springers that rule is no longer hard and fast. Firing a PCP, Co2, or SSP without a pellen will not cause any perminate damage to the gun. However since the makers of target guns understand that they will probably be dry fired for training most of them put in a dry fire mode that allows the user to dryfire without using compressed air or Co2, or having to use the full stroke of a PCP. Because it is much easier to just cock the IZH-46 than to charge and cock it the natural choice for dry fire would be to just cock the trigger.
Hope this answers your question.
: I read the threads below on dry-firing, but I'm trying to learn more about air pistols. In general, how does dry-firing under compression damage an air pistol? Or does it? Specifically, would dry-firing under compression a IZH-46M damage it? If it does, I already read about how to dry-fire it without compression. Thanks. Don P

ramadsen-at-iname.com.49138.49124