Perhaps it's time to update Target Talk's presentation mecha

old, good http://www.midcoast.com/~pilkguns/bbs/

Moderators: rexifelis, pilkguns

Len

Mark I have a solution for some of your problems

Post by Len »

I have different connections at home, at work, and in the shop....
I tried some of the dial up stuff and I see what you mean.
My suggestion, open the forum and right click and "open in new windiow" any topic that you want. That way you don't have to keep refreshing the page over and over again.
Granted every time you want a refresh of the whole page you will have to do just that.
The other option would be to use Opera, as it has the option to cache pages (as does IE) but it only checks for changes v. refreshing the whole page.
In IE under the tools, internet options, general under teomporary internet files, settings you can make some changes to speed or slow things up....but this forum software seems to be refreshed on the fly, so if you can't get around it...yeah you will still be stuck with a long refresh.
Maybe one of the options for Scott and the gang would be maybe create two or three pages, with x number of topics on each page? that way there would be less to refresh...or even a years worth of topics on each page.
Bill Dutton

Re: Mark I have a solution for some of your problems

Post by Bill Dutton »

: The other option would be to use Opera, as it has the option to cache pages (as does IE) but it only checks for changes v. refreshing the whole page.
You could also try using Mozilla's Firebird browser. It is very fast.

bill.dutton-at-fmr.com.49184.49182
Bill Dutton

Re: I am Confused

Post by Bill Dutton »

: When I "click" on this bbs, it starts to load, and it takes about 3 minutes to load to the end. (I am on dialup, in a rural area, without cable access.) However, the most recent entries appear in about 3 seconds. But, since I visit this site daily, I don't need to go, to the end.
Bob: If someone responds to a post today that was in response to a post made two weeks ago you will miss that.
The nice thing about some of the new message forum technologies is the ability for subjects to get 'bumped' to the top if they are replied to.
bill.dutton-at-fmr.com.49185.49163
Len

Is firebird, the new firefox?

Post by Len »

they always switch the names around...and I can not keep track.

Roland Cannon

Len, LOL!!!!

Post by Roland Cannon »

Remember when she was going to send me to internet jail???
geo. anderson

Re: "terribly ungrateful to ask"

Post by geo. anderson »

: Geo. Anderson, you sir are an idiot!
Well, I don't know about that but I will sign up to hotheaded typing sometimes. The thing is that every time this topic comes up it seems that Scott and Warren get pounded with comments from people complaining about the quality of the free lunch they are being served, then offering expensive and time-consuming ways by which the lunch could be improved. And Scott and Warren basically have to sit there politely and take it.
So this guy acknowledged the point and still did it! Had I known he was a student I would have cut him a little more slack, as we all went through that phase where we thought our every idea was unique and important.
george-at-willowlane.net.49284.49157
tj

Post by tj »

I rest my case.
: : Geo. Anderson, you sir are an idiot!
: Well, I don't know about that but I will sign up to hotheaded typing sometimes. The thing is that every time this topic comes up it seems that Scott and Warren get pounded with comments from people complaining about the quality of the free lunch they are being served, then offering expensive and time-consuming ways by which the lunch could be improved. And Scott and Warren basically have to sit there politely and take it.
: So this guy acknowledged the point and still did it! Had I known he was a student I would have cut him a little more slack, as we all went through that phase where we thought our every idea was unique and important.

shootingsports-at-ev1.net.49308.49284
Mark Dennehy

Post by Mark Dennehy »

: The thing is that every time this topic comes up it seems that Scott and Warren get pounded with comments from people complaining about the quality of the free lunch they are being served, then offering expensive and time-consuming ways by which the lunch could be improved. And Scott and Warren basically have to sit there politely and take it.
First things first - I already said that there were several software packages available for Free. As in gratis, no money required.
Secondly, I'd be happy to pay a monthly subscription fee if it helped defray the operating costs of TT, because even though I'm over here in Ireland, a rifle is a rifle is a rifle, so I learn just as much here as the US shooters.
I'd just rather be able to watch a conversation last longer than the current two or three days that is the upper limit on TT right now, because of the way that threads scroll down and out of sight (and out of mind).
And thirdly, I know what it's like for Scott and Warren, because I've done their job over here, albiet without the level of appreciation they justly receive. I've run my college club (400-odd kids, and two or three people doing all the scutwork to keep it ticking over), I've helped on the national association doing the PR and Newsletter work, I've run websites, I've gone two years at a stretch without a weekend where I'm not up later than 0600 to drive students to competitions, I've laid out north of a grand over the years into buying things the college club needed but couldn't afford (chump change for you perhaps, not for a PhD student), and I've enjoyed almost every minute of it.
So don't tell me I have no appreciation of what I was asking.
: So this guy acknowledged the point and still did it! Had I known he was a student I would have cut him a little more slack, as we all went through that phase where we thought our every idea was unique and important.
That's undergraduate students you're thinking of.
But I guess as an old and crusty veteran, we should make allowances... :)

Mark.Dennehy-at-cs.tcd.ie.49310.49284