Match time, time left over, and budgeting time

old, good http://www.midcoast.com/~pilkguns/bbs/

Moderators: rexifelis, pilkguns

Len

Match time, time left over, and budgeting time

Post by Len »

For you folks that shoot AP, in a 60 shot match it's 1:45 minutes for the match duration...if you time yourself how much time do you have left over normally?
I'm getting done WAY too soon, in under 20 minutes on average...any suggestions? That includes changing the target counting out rounds...cocking the gun...everything.
I shot a 523 today, which isn't as good as most of you but where do you take up the time? on target? resting between shots? contemplating shots?
Please advise.
Mack

Re: Match time, time left over, and budgeting time

Post by Mack »

This is very personal. No I don't mean that I feel funny answering, but everyone is different. I typically finsh in about 90 minutes. I take a lot of time with each shot. You can't shoot as badly as I do without taking special care. :-( Look at the Hitchhiker articles about shot plan. Develop a plan that you like and stick to it. If you finish in 15 minutes but stuck to your plan, then great. It is all about consistency.
: For you folks that shoot AP, in a 60 shot match it's 1:45 minutes for the match duration...if you time yourself how much time do you have left over normally?
: I'm getting done WAY too soon, in under 20 minutes on average...any suggestions? That includes changing the target counting out rounds...cocking the gun...everything.
: I shot a 523 today, which isn't as good as most of you but where do you take up the time? on target? resting between shots? contemplating shots?
: Please advise.

PETE

my ole college coach use to say

Post by PETE »

"I don't care how much time you take to shoot a match just so long as you spend the time shooting, not doing something else"
I have heard Erich Buljung say many times:
"Winners abort more than losers"
Both were saying similar things, use the time, how ever long it takes YOU to shoot each individual shot, the best you can.

: For you folks that shoot AP, in a 60 shot match it's 1:45 minutes for the match duration...if you time yourself how much time do you have left over normally?
: I'm getting done WAY too soon, in under 20 minutes on average...any suggestions? That includes changing the target counting out rounds...cocking the gun...everything.
: I shot a 523 today, which isn't as good as most of you but where do you take up the time? on target? resting between shots? contemplating shots?

Mack

Re: my ole college coach use to say

Post by Mack »

I have heard Erich Buljung say many times:
"Winners abort more than losers"
Wow! Olympics here I come. No one aborts more than I do. I AM THE KING OF CHICKEN FINGER. Bwaahaaahaaa
Sorry, couldn't resist. I do like the quotes.
Thanks

DavidM

Ahead/Behind TimeTable

Post by DavidM »

I use a Ahead/Behind timetable, this allows me to know early in a match if I have time for a break or I need to speed up.
I allow 15min for sighters and 15min per series of 10 shots. This is a limit time, so if at the end of the 2nd series I have 1hr 5min remaining, then I am AHEAD and can afford to rest for 5min.
But if at the end of the 4th series I have 25min remaining then I am BEHIND 5min and I must make up the time.
As a general rule 15min for sighters and 10-12 for each series with short breaks means I have 10-15 min remaining at the end of a match.
Steve Swartz

Post by Steve Swartz »

Most of the folks who finish in the finals finish with around 10+-5 minutes or so left out of the 105. Including sighters, of course.
This is a gross generalization, I know.
Maybe you should spend some of your extra time at the end of your next match observing the shot process of the local top shooters; particularly if they are 560+ shooters.
Your shot process is different in some fundamental way from the shot process of the top shooters. You might want to think about the difference and what it means. What do you do after loading? How long does it take you to get inside your settle? Once settled, how long does it take you to break the shot? How long is your follow-through?
Also- same holds true for your match process. Look at match process of top shooters and compare to yours. Do you even shoot sighters at all? What process do you use to re-establish your shot process after a break? Do you take any breaks?
Steve Swartz

leslieswartz-at-erinet.com.49132.49089
Mark Dennehy

Post by Mark Dennehy »

Generally it doesn't matter if you've time left over - in fact it's probably a good thing. Me, I have the opposite problem - chicken finger leaves me with only a minute or two at the end of the match, and I've done all the prep work (counting targets, readying gear, etc) before the time begins.
So I'm working on trying to get those 20 minutes of yours back :)
(And I'm only coming in at the 555 level in 10m AR at present :( )

mark.dennehy-at-cs.tcd.ie.49142.49089