looking for factory weights for S&W Model 41

old, good http://www.midcoast.com/~pilkguns/bbs/

Moderators: rexifelis, pilkguns

Greg

looking for factory weights for S&W Model 41

Post by Greg »

I purchased this long barreled S&W 41 and have been looking for the front weights. Does anyone have them.
gregsueknutzen-at-msn.com.49073.0
Lonnie

Two styles known to exist....

Post by Lonnie »

Which ones? The kind that slide on to a milled rail or the ones that screw into the underbore lug recess? Either style had aluminum, brass and steel for the three weight levels. The only one I have is the screw in underbore recess type, steel, with a muzzle cap and screw. Contact me off list if interested.
lonniemeyers-at-hotmail.com.49091.49073
Rob

Re: looking for factory weights for S&W Model 41

Post by Rob »

I dont know where your located but I saw a complete 41 long barrel pistol in the box with the big weights attached. I'm not sure if it had a compensator too. Located at Cabella's store in Hamburg Pa. It was in a room where they showcase rare and expensive guns. It's the only one I've ever seen thats why I'm mentioning it. I did'nt see a price on it but they had a High Standard 10-X for 3 grand!...Rob

rdnault851-at-msn.com.49102.49073
Jim

Re: looking for factory weights for S&W Model 41

Post by Jim »

: I purchased this long barreled S&W 41 and have been looking for the front weights. Does anyone have them.
Hi Greg,
The weights only fit SW 41s with the 7 3/8" barrel with a groove on both sides of the underlug. Also, such barrels are usually fitted with a muzzle brake or detachable false muzzle.
I have a very old SW 41 with the long barrel, muzzle brake, and barrel weights. The weight is actually 3 weights which can be combined as 1, 2, or all 3 weights. The positions of all 3 can also be altered, giving a wide range in overall weight and balance.
I have not considered selling them separately as my 41 is very old, and all original, and thus probably collectible. I am happy to answer any questions you may have, though. Interestingly, in addition to the cocking indicator and other niceties, my 41 lacks the frame cutaways behind the trigger, ala 1911 vs. 1911a1. I've not seen this on any other 41!
Jim
PS: the Standard Catalog of S & W Handguns (or some similar title) lists these weights alone as valued up to $500.
james.buckland-at-converse.edu.49109.49073
JIM FABANICH

Re: I have a rare set that..

Post by JIM FABANICH »

: : that are installed by removing the screw that sets under the muzzel. The smaller weight just installs instead of the screw while the heaver weight hangs paralel to the bore. No rail on the barrel is needed. These appears to be factory to the gun serial number 74XXX.
Photo available on request