Please compare Ruger Mark II stainless target model and Brow

old, good http://www.midcoast.com/~pilkguns/bbs/

Moderators: rexifelis, pilkguns

Mark Threlkeld

Please compare Ruger Mark II stainless target model and Brow

Post by Mark Threlkeld »

I'm looking hard at these two for a good, fun, target pistol. How do they compare? Any other alternatives in the same price range? (I have large hands)
Thanks
MarkT
FocusMT-at-aol.com.49017.0
Richard H.

Re: Please compare Ruger Mark II stainless target model and

Post by Richard H. »

Never shot the Browning but if you have large hands you will probably want to get different grips for the Ruger, there are lots available. You might wan to look at a High Standard, I liked it over the Ruger. But I sure if you are just looking for something fun to target shoot with any of them will do the job.
: I'm looking hard at these two for a good, fun, target pistol. How do they compare? Any other alternatives in the same price range? (I have large hands)
: Thanks
: MarkT

Mike McDaniel

Acckk!!!

Post by Mike McDaniel »

: I'm looking hard at these two for a good, fun, target pistol. How do they compare? Any other alternatives in the same price range? (I have large hands)
: Thanks
: MarkT
Try either a used High Standard or a new Izh-35. They are both MUCH better guns. Good triggers, good sights, very accurate. Rugers are pigs to dismount, and the triggers are forgettable. The Buckmark is a little bit better - but I'd stick with a GOOD gun. I've always found that you NEVER regret buying the best.
HMSLion-at-aol.com.49019.49017
Richard H.

Re: Acckk!!!

Post by Richard H. »

I didn't want to as blunt but I stronly suggest a High Standard over the Ruger. If you can afford it pick up a used Walther GSP.
: : I'm looking hard at these two for a good, fun, target pistol. How do they compare? Any other alternatives in the same price range? (I have large hands)
: : Thanks
: : MarkT
: Try either a used High Standard or a new Izh-35. They are both MUCH better guns. Good triggers, good sights, very accurate. Rugers are pigs to dismount, and the triggers are forgettable. The Buckmark is a little bit better - but I'd stick with a GOOD gun. I've always found that you NEVER regret buying the best.

Slugser

IZH35M is better than both of them

Post by Slugser »

FOR DEDICATED TARGET USE--The Ruger is better than the Buckmark, but the IZH is better than the Ruger: the IZH has better in-hand balance, better firing behavior and already has a fully-adjustable match trigger, and the IZH costs right about what a new Ruger slabside costs. The IZH needs a bit of polish out of the box (a couple things you can do yourself) and factory left-hand grips aren't available still (as far as I know) but I have both a Mk II gov't target 6-7/8 and the IZH, and the Ruger does not compare for bullseye shooting. The IZH is just built better (once you get used to a low-boreline gun, you won't want any "regular" gun--they just don't feel right anymore). -end-
Len

Post by Len »

Both are great plinkers, reasonable in accuracy, and fairly cheap.
I know when we order them, if I order three, normally I get a good discount on Ruger or Browning. Davidson's is always running some special on Ruger or Buckmark.
The other alternative in near the same price point is the S&W 22A or the more expensive 22s.
I think standard they are coming with the larger wood grips, and you can order the rubber grips which are smaller. They were running a spiff for a while, where you got free grips so you got both.
Out of the box, the Buckmark is an easier gun to work on and has a pretty good trigger, the Ruger a better gun overall and certainly has a lot of "stuff" you can add to it.
The S&W is good because you can shoot it open sight or EASILY mount a scope or the a red dot. As well the various barrel configureations are very easy to snap on and off. Push a button, off it comes, push a button, on it goes.
Suprisingly the zero seems to hold
fairly well in the swap on and off.
My cost on the MK II in a bull barrel in blue is about $250.
The "government" target model is about $350, the different being sights and finish.
S&W target is about $320 in stainless.
The Browning buckmark bullseye target is about $450.

Mike Schroeder

Re: IZH35M is better than both of them

Post by Mike Schroeder »

The IZH is just built better (once you get used to a low-boreline gun, you won't want any "regular" gun--they just don't feel right anymore). -end-
Hi
I understood everything, EXCEPT the above part. What do you mean low-boreline? Why does that help? Explain slowly, I'm a Rifle and Shotgun Instructor and coach.....
Mike
Wichita KS

mschroeder5-at-cox.net.49043.49023
Slugster

Post by Slugster »

"...I understood everything, EXCEPT the above part. What do you mean low-boreline? Why does that help? Explain slowly, I'm a Rifle and Shotgun Instructor and coach....."
What I mean is that they are fairly light in-hand, yet the low boreline means they flip less than the Mk II [and most other "field" guns] when firing.
Less flip=good.
All the current ISSF, rapid-fire and free pistols now used have very low borelines; die-hard traditionalists often insist that a high-boreline gun -should- be able to be just as accurate, but there must be a reason why all the modern guns are set low. And that is one thing about a pistol you cannot change.
This is one of the two points I stress when people online ask what "target" pistol they should get and then mention guns like the Mk II, Buckmark, Sig Trailside, Beretta Target, High Standard guns, S&W 41, etc (the other point being the adjustable trigger already in the IZH). All these companies take a regular field gun that flips too much with a short barrel and add a long+heavy barrel, and then add a target grip to try to compensate for the fact that the pistol is too nose-heavy. Field guns are engineered to be easy to diassemble, not shoot well--and if one wants a pistol for dedicated target shooting and you can't afford a high-end gun, the IZH is built a lot closer to right than any "field" gun is.
------------
-That wouldn't matter so much with long-guns I guess, just handguns-...

tj

Post by tj »

The IZH bore is about the height of the web of your hand and has a fully contained slide. The Ruger bore is high above the web because the slide must clear your hand.
The lower bore gives you recoil that is straight back against your hand and greatly reduces muzzle flip. Whereas the Rugers recoil levers the barrel up making it more difficult to quickly acquire a sight picture in a rapid fire or timed fire event.
The IZH accomplishes this by using a swing-down hammer system and fully contained slide.
: The IZH is just built better (once you get used to a low-boreline gun, you won't want any "regular" gun--they just don't feel right anymore). -end-
: Hi
: I understood everything, EXCEPT the above part. What do you mean low-boreline? Why does that help? Explain slowly, I'm a Rifle and Shotgun Instructor and coach.....
: Mike
: Wichita KS

shootingsports-at-ev1.net.49047.49043
tj

Post by tj »

Actually it matters greatly with all guns. In clay target shooting as well as hunting you want to reduce muzzel flip as much as possible for the same reasons as target handguns.
Look at a the progress in skeet and trap guns over the years. The barrels are lower than ever before.
Rifles too, look at all the compensators for rifles.
Generally muzzel flip is bad in just about any situation. The lower the bore, the less flip, more control! And we are all gun control advocates, arent we?!?!?!

: -That wouldn't matter so much with long-guns I guess, just handguns-...

shootingsports-at-ev1.net.49048.49045
Bob LeDoux

Post by Bob LeDoux »

The lower barrel line also reduces sight wobble due to wrist movement.
MarkT

Post by MarkT »

Thanks so much for the feedback. You guys are great!
MarkT
FocusMT-at-aol.com.49146.49018