Should one light the target on a home range?

old, good http://www.midcoast.com/~pilkguns/bbs/

Moderators: rexifelis, pilkguns

Jeff

Should one light the target on a home range?

Post by Jeff »

A do my (10M air pistol) practice shooting in my house, and I've been setting up lights to there's bright light on my gun hand and another bright light (in addition to normal room light) on the target box.
After reading the lens posts (that bright light brings things into focus by making your pupil small) I wonder: should I just leave room light on the target? To keep me from focusing on the target? What do you guys do on your home ranges?
jwolverton-at-hotmail.com.48992.0
Len

Re: Should one light the target on a home range?

Post by Len »

I have normal overhead lights in my range room.
There is a really excelent range layout document by the ISSF (the real technical rules) for how much light should be on the target. I have mine set up to be as close as possible...it required changing some light bulbs

They say:
Indoor 10 m ranges must have artificial illumination providing the necessary amount of light without glare or distracting shadows on the
targets or firing points. The entire area must be evenly illuminated with no less than 300 lux. Targets must be illuminated evenly with noless than 1000 lux. The background area behind the targets must be a non-reflecting, light even neutral color. If due to the request from the
media, the lighting on the firing points has to be increased, then the light on the targets must be appropriately increased.

See the link...search on lighting...or light.
It's a PDF file
Sandy Santibanez

Re: Should one light the target on a home range?

Post by Sandy Santibanez »

ISSF 6.3.15.4 Specifies the lighting levels. You should try have your home range as close to these as possible so that you practice under the match standards,i.e.,
Ambient light= no less than 300 lux
Target light = no less than 1000 lux
Using a photo light meter set on EV Mode, at ASA 100, EV 8.6 = aprox 1000 lux at target
and EV 7 = aprox 320 lux at shooter

tenx-at-san.rr.com.49011.48992
Jeff

Um... can anyone translate that into 60-watt bulb speak?

Post by Jeff »

...as in; what do you guys do at home? I've been having a 60- or 100-watt bulb lamp a few feet away from the target.

: ISSF 6.3.15.4 Specifies the lighting levels. You should try have your home range as close to these as possible so that you practice under the match standards,i.e.,
: Ambient light= no less than 300 lux
: Target light = no less than 1000 lux
: Using a photo light meter set on EV Mode, at ASA 100, EV 8.6 = aprox 1000 lux at target
: and EV 7 = aprox 320 lux at shooter

Len

Lux, lumens and watts

Post by Len »

On your bulb box, there should be a listing of Lumens, lux = total lumes divided by square meters.
a 60 watt bulb is about 710 lumens. figure out the room in square meters, you have the calculated Lux for the room...now the issue is calculated for the room and at the target may be a bit off in the instance of spot lighting.

so
Lux = Total Lumens ÷ Area in Square Meters
but again you have to test at the target for target light...ambiant light works best at calculation.
Richard H.

Re: Um... can anyone translate that into 60-watt bulb speak?

Post by Richard H. »

A 60 watt bulb at the target in my home range gives me approx. 1000 lux on the target. I have a goose neck desk lamp ($6.00) with a 60 watt bulb mounted to the wall above the target. remember that these are minimum values and most ranges vary quite a bit.
: ...as in; what do you guys do at home? I've been having a 60- or 100-watt bulb lamp a few feet away from the target.
:
: : ISSF 6.3.15.4 Specifies the lighting levels. You should try have your home range as close to these as possible so that you practice under the match standards,i.e.,
: : Ambient light= no less than 300 lux
: : Target light = no less than 1000 lux
: : Using a photo light meter set on EV Mode, at ASA 100, EV 8.6 = aprox 1000 lux at target
: : and EV 7 = aprox 320 lux at shooter

Spencer C

In short - no. beg borrow or buy a lux meter

Post by Spencer C »

: ...as in; what do you guys do at home? I've been having a 60- or 100-watt bulb lamp a few feet away from the target.
:
: : ISSF 6.3.15.4 Specifies the lighting levels. You should try have your home range as close to these as possible so that you practice under the match standards,i.e.,
: : Ambient light= no less than 300 lux
: : Target light = no less than 1000 lux
: : Using a photo light meter set on EV Mode, at ASA 100, EV 8.6 = aprox 1000 lux at target
: : and EV 7 = aprox 320 lux at shooter

Ed Hall

Post by Ed Hall »

The following was posted here in March of 2002 by Mako in response to a similar thread. Perhaps it can help. (Thanks Mako):
"1000 Lux (target light level) is the approximate equivalent of 1/60th of a second at almost F/11 at 400 ASA/ISO/EI (27 Din) read with a reflective type light meter off of WHITE paper. A reflective light meter is what you would find in a SLR (single lens reflex) or other more 'sophisticated' camera.
"300 Lux (range light level ... especially at the shooting position) is approximately F4.0 and 8/10th f/stop (in other words, slightly less the f5.6), at 1/60th of a second, at 400 asa ... read off of WHITE paper."
Take Care,
Ed Hall
<a href="http://www.airforceshooting.org/">http: ... ng.org/</a>
<a href="http://www.geocities.com/ed_ka2fwj/">ht ... ka2fwj/</a>

ed_ka2fwj-at-juno.com.49046.49013
doads

Re: In short - no. beg borrow or buy a lux meter

Post by doads »

: : ...as in; what do you guys do at home? I've been having a 60- or 100-watt bulb lamp a few feet away from the target.
: :
: : : ISSF 6.3.15.4 Specifies the lighting levels. You should try have your home range as close to these as possible so that you practice under the match standards,i.e.,
: : : Ambient light= no less than 300 lux
: : : Target light = no less than 1000 lux
: : : Using a photo light meter set on EV Mode, at ASA 100, EV 8.6 = aprox 1000 lux at target
: : : and EV 7 = aprox 320 lux at shooter

How do you convert lux to wattage. Thanks

Len

Lux to lumens, lumes to wattage

Post by Len »

You are dealing with two different issues, one that covers area and one that is a specific power usage, you have to convert lumens to your specific area of your range in square meters, then covert your bulb watts to lumens.
Lux is lumens per square meter.
The forumla is as follows (and was in my other posts)
Lux = Total Lumens ÷ Area in Square Meters
Watts to lumens is best done by looking at the box your bulb came in, the difference and style of bulb makes a difference in the number of total lumens a bulb at a given wattage makes.

NOTE: This ONLY works for the first half of the equation of total over all light...in order to get light at the face of the target you really do need a meter.

Gary

reflector also affects

Post by Gary »

The forumula probably only applies to a bare bulb. Once you put the bulb in a reflector, the light is concentrated.
Gary

Spencer C

How do you convert lux to wattage

Post by Spencer C »

: How do you convert lux to wattage. Thanks
You don't, you use a lux meter.
The wattage of a bulb or tube is at best a guide to the light output and while the wattage will stay pretty much constant with time the light output wont; particularly for fluorescents and discharge lamps.

Martin H

Post by Martin H »

At what distance is the bulb to the target?
Remember light levels on the target drop rapidly as you start moving the bulb away from the target.
Martin
: A 60 watt bulb at the target in my home range gives me approx. 1000 lux on the target. I have a goose neck desk lamp ($6.00) with a 60 watt bulb mounted to the wall above the target. remember that these are minimum values and most ranges vary quite a bit.
: : ...as in; what do you guys do at home? I've been having a 60- or 100-watt bulb lamp a few feet away from the target.
: :
: : : ISSF 6.3.15.4 Specifies the lighting levels. You should try have your home range as close to these as possible so that you practice under the match standards,i.e.,
: : : Ambient light= no less than 300 lux
: : : Target light = no less than 1000 lux
: : : Using a photo light meter set on EV Mode, at ASA 100, EV 8.6 = aprox 1000 lux at target
: : : and EV 7 = aprox 320 lux at shooter