Giving spectators something to see

old, good http://www.midcoast.com/~pilkguns/bbs/

Moderators: rexifelis, pilkguns

Ray odle

Giving spectators something to see

Post by Ray odle »

Just some thoughts on making our sport more spectator friendly for 3-position air rifle while not breaking the bank.
Low expense:
Ranges with little room for spectators.
Use personal video camera (or two) out in front of shooters. Hardwire or use $50.00 trans/rec unit to put borrowed TV in a different room. Using audio would help bring the action to the second room. Parents, participants and stat office could keep tabs on the action. Those in the second room would be free to talk.
Shots on two AR 5/10 targets (20 bulls on screen):

Basic system: 420 line security camera, 160mm lens, camera tripod, min 20" TV. I have been experimenting with this set up behind the ready line. It works. I can pan left or right 10 firing points. Monitor is next to the camera. The picture is not as sharp as a spotting scope, but the shots can be observed and the score estimated. Cost for camera and lens: $400.00
One camera for every four firing points would be better. (more the better)
The standing position or tall scope stands may block the target. Nothings perfect.
I have experimented at our club and at a match. The response is positive.
Bringing the camera and monitor up to the firing line for the B 40/4 sure beats the spotting scope.
I have 570 line camera on order. I'm curious to see if that sharpens the picture.
Any thought, comments, suggestions, experiences?
Ray Odle
Illinois

raymondodle-at-mynra.com.48927.0
JT

Re: Giving spectators something to see

Post by JT »

Or a half-time show! Like in the Superbowel. That would bring in the spectators and people might actually pay to see it!
: Just some thoughts on making our sport more spectator friendly for 3-position air rifle while not breaking the bank.
: Low expense:
: Ranges with little room for spectators.
: Use personal video camera (or two) out in front of shooters. Hardwire or use $50.00 trans/rec unit to put borrowed TV in a different room. Using audio would help bring the action to the second room. Parents, participants and stat office could keep tabs on the action. Those in the second room would be free to talk.
: Shots on two AR 5/10 targets (20 bulls on screen):
:
: Basic system: 420 line security camera, 160mm lens, camera tripod, min 20" TV. I have been experimenting with this set up behind the ready line. It works. I can pan left or right 10 firing points. Monitor is next to the camera. The picture is not as sharp as a spotting scope, but the shots can be observed and the score estimated. Cost for camera and lens: $400.00
: One camera for every four firing points would be better. (more the better)
: The standing position or tall scope stands may block the target. Nothings perfect.
: I have experimented at our club and at a match. The response is positive.
: Bringing the camera and monitor up to the firing line for the B 40/4 sure beats the spotting scope.
: I have 570 line camera on order. I'm curious to see if that sharpens the picture.
: Any thought, comments, suggestions, experiences?
: Ray Odle
: Illinois

shootingsports-at-ev1.net.48931.48927
Jay V

Post by Jay V »

: Just some thoughts on making our sport more spectator friendly for 3-position air rifle while not breaking the bank.
:(snip)Basic system: 420 line security camera, 160mm lens, camera tripod, min 20" TV. I have been experimenting with this set up behind the ready line. It works. I can pan left or right 10 firing points. Monitor is next to the camera. The picture is not as sharp as a spotting scope, but the shots can be observed and the score estimated. Cost for camera and lens: $400.00

We were given a look at the system this past weekend at our NRA 3P match. It does draw a crowd and makes it easy to watch the match unfold.
Only problem may be keeping the coaches (me) far enough away so the spectators (we had about 20) can see! Right Ray?
Keep up the good work. Hope to see it at your Junior Olympic match on the 14th (I'm sure we will!).
Thanks for taking the show on the road!

Jay Vergenz
AIAC
IL
jverg-at-att.net.48937.48927
spelling bee

Post by spelling bee »

: Or a half-time show! Like in the Superbowel. That would bring in the spectators and people might actually pay to see it!
I don't know if I'd pay good money to see something such as a "Super BOWEL" - probably full of !@#$ :^)
P. Lambertz

Post by P. Lambertz »

Interesting idea, Ray. Especially running a feed to a separate spectators "lounge". It would also help get people out from underfoot in crowded ready areas. BTW - I'd much rather see a security camera being used than someone's personal video camera (think $$$ for repair if accidentally "oops"ed).
But, hey, don't just limit all the fun to junior matches! How about encouraging some more open matches where everyone can compete (adults AND juniors) and we'd ALL get to watch ourselves on TV! (note that subtle hint of lobbying for more competitions around our state!) <grin>

: Low expense:
: Ranges with little room for spectators.
: Use personal video camera (or two) out in front of shooters. Hardwire or use $50.00 trans/rec unit to put borrowed TV in a different room. Using audio would help bring the action to the second room. Parents, participants and stat office could keep tabs on the action. Those in the second room would be free to talk.
: Shots on two AR 5/10 targets (20 bulls on screen):
:
: Basic system: 420 line security camera, 160mm lens, camera tripod, min 20" TV. I have been experimenting with this set up behind the ready line. It works. I can pan left or right 10 firing points. Monitor is next to the camera. The picture is not as sharp as a spotting scope, but the shots can be observed and the score estimated. Cost for camera and lens: $400.00
: One camera for every four firing points would be better. (more the better)
: I have experimented at our club and at a match. The response is positive.
: Any thought, comments, suggestions, experiences?
: Ray Odle
: Illinois

Spencer C

We've added an LCD projector for the scores

Post by Spencer C »

(while it would be possible for the qualification round) it works a charm for the Finals. Get someone to enter the scores as called and then re-sort the date for an 'instant' update on the prpgressive finals scores.
Great for the spectators
Yes, in AUS we do get a crowd for Finals, even for the zone level matches
Spencer C

and added a program to give progressive scores as a %

Post by Spencer C »

this weekend I am trialling a display program for the qualification round. To keep it simple we add the 10-shot series subtotals as completed and sort by percentage of the subtotal, you can then see how a slow shotter's score compares with the faster shooters in Air Pistol and 50m.