"New" "Old" Federal 711B ?

old, good http://www.midcoast.com/~pilkguns/bbs/

Moderators: rexifelis, pilkguns

Mako

"New" "Old" Federal 711B ?

Post by Mako »

Check out the LINK below ... is this the old dimpled good 711B ... made on the real Federal machinery ... vs ... this CCI "Federal" 711B : http://www.midwayusa.com/rewriteaproduct/445953 ... which doesn't seem to work very well with a lot of peoples guns.
makofoto-at-earthlink.net.48894.0
Ken J

Re: "New" "Old" Federal 711B ?

Post by Ken J »

judging by the dimple, it's made on the Federal machinery. Aside from that, I can't tell you how it will shoot..

Questor

It's too late.

Post by Questor »

I don't think I'll ever try it again after my last experiences. They just don't seem committed to target ammo for pistols.
ed moore

Post by ed moore »

just saw an alibi with one of these rounds last week at a gallery match .. shooter complained the ammo isn't like it used to be
cannoneerfour-at-hotmail.com.48908.48894
Edmund Lam

Post by Edmund Lam »

Any new production of the 711B does not have
the dimpled base. It is cheap practice
ammo. Get what you pay.
: Check out the LINK below ... is this the old dimpled good 711B ... made on the real Federal machinery ... vs ... this CCI "Federal" 711B : http://www.midwayusa.com/rewriteaproduct/445953 ... which doesn't seem to work very well with a lot of peoples guns.

Mako

Well ... this is what Midway says ...

Post by Mako »

Midway says that all of the 711B is now dimpled ... and the undimpled cartridges is old stuff !?!?!
This ammo wasn't for me ... I'm a SK user ...
A new FP shooter was looking for beginning practice ammo ... yes I told him to try Wolf ... reboxed SK ...
makofoto-at-earthlink.net.48930.48894
tommyg

Post by tommyg »

Edmund
you forget that north of the border, we are one, if not two years behind on any ammo brought north. due to regulations on boths sides. It could be that the new 711b is in fact dimpled but we will not know for another 18 months
tommyg

: Any new production of the 711B does not have
: the dimpled base. It is cheap practice
: ammo. Get what you pay.

Edmund Lam

Post by Edmund Lam »

The batch of 711B I got last season was dimpled. The stuff I can get now isn't dimpled. Did Federal switch from dimple
to non-dimple or the other way?
Both types have the occasional FTF. They
feed nicely in my guns and build up less
"mud" than the Eley which I normally shoot.

JLK

Post by JLK »

You can buy 711B from CMP for $146 per case plus shipping. Shipping to Nebraska was $19.04
John_In_AZ

New 711B is not dimpled...

Post by John_In_AZ »

I've been using 711B in Bullseye shooting for a long time now. I used it before it was dimpled and it was great. I thought it was even better dimpled. I'm an NRA expert spiking into master scores when I do everything right. Then the dimple went away and the ammo turned to shiRt. I had just purchased a new case of 711B. I was getting 5-10 misfires per 50 rounds. Completely blew me out of a number of matches. I called Federal (Gary Gronfor, 1-800-322-2342 x3705). They have excellent customer service! I was told the dimples were gone forever. They were too expensive to manufacture. Federal did admit they had produced a new non-dimpled lot they were not happy with. I gave them my lot number, and they ended up sending me another case of new non-dimpled 711B. I thought that was an awesome response! Unfortunately, the "new" 711B is no longer what the "old" 711B used to be. I still got mis-fires at the rate of 2-3 per hundred. Thus I was getting at least 1 alibi per match. That was unacceptable. The accuracy didn't seem to be there anymore either, but that could have just been me and a lack of confidence. Bottomline, I've moved on. The 711B is only for rifle plinking now.
John

xxxxxxxxxx_john-at-yahoo.com.48972.48894
Mako

Re: New 711B is not dimpled...

Post by Mako »

So you're saying that Midway was incorrect in telling us that the new 711B was dimpled ... and that the non-dimpled photo on their web site was the old 711B ... that they forgot to update.
Horrible that we just can't believe anything these days ... I believe YOU ... an individual shooter, before some company trying to sell me something ... :-(
thanks ... Mako

makofoto-at-earthlink.net.48994.48972
John_In_AZ

Re: New 711B is not dimpled...

Post by John_In_AZ »

I would be HAPPY to be wrong! I talked directly to Federal last May. Maybe a great hue and cry from the shooting community caused them to change their minds since then and they are producing dimpled ammo again. That would be great. I know when I run across a brick of dimpled Federal I buy it. Conversely, I won't buy non-dimpled. When you vote with dollars, there isn't anything else left to say.
John

xxxxxxxxxx_john-at-yahoo.com.49016.48994