Smallbore Prone Clothing

old, good http://www.midcoast.com/~pilkguns/bbs/

Moderators: rexifelis, pilkguns

Michael

Smallbore Prone Clothing

Post by Michael »

I just shot my first smallbore prone match. I don't want to invest in an expensive shooting jacket right now, but boy are my elbows sore. What kind of elbow pads do you folks recommend?
pdeal

Re: Smallbore Prone Clothing

Post by pdeal »

Michael:
Most jackets don't have any real padding in the elbows- just no slip rubber. Generally the padding is in the shooting matt. If you want to get started with minimal investment I would suggest a good shooting matt (~$70) and a starter jacket from Monard ($150). Both will improve your enjoyment and scores.
pdeal-at-mylanlabs.com.48851.48849
TomW

Post by TomW »

Hi Michael
Shooting jackets do have padding in the elbows but as you say they are generally expensive.
Because it is so humid and hot here in the summer I often shoot with a set of elbow protectors which I purchased from a skate board shop. They are very good and much more comfortable than nothing at all
Regards
Tom

: I just shot my first smallbore prone match. I don't want to invest in an expensive shooting jacket right now, but boy are my elbows sore. What kind of elbow pads do you folks recommend?

twoodle1-at-bigpond.net.au.48867.48849
Matt

Post by Matt »

Michael,
I know your post is titled '.... Clothing' but I would like to suggest a different avenue for you to explore: Contact your local plastics/rubber distributor and ask them to quote a price on a piece of medium density flexible foam (that will fit under the front of your present shooting mat). You won't have to 'wear' elbow pads and the foam will make your prone shooting enjoyable for the entire course.
Good luck!
Matt

d_s_s_i-at-hotmail.com.48883.48849
Hip's Ax

Post by Hip's Ax »

Back when I was in the high school rifle club the coach had us bring a thick long sleeved sweatshirt and a piece of indoor/outdoor carpeting for a mat, worked great.
HipsAxe-at-aol.com.48884.48849
Michael

Post by Michael »

Thanks for the tips. It looks like a mat under the mat that I have and/or elbow pads from the skateboard section of my sporting goods store.
: I just shot my first smallbore prone match. I don't want to invest in an expensive shooting jacket right now, but boy are my elbows sore. What kind of elbow pads do you folks recommend?

Mike Schroeder

Post by Mike Schroeder »

Hi
I would reccommend the shooting mat as probably the third most important (safety stuff excluded) piece of equipment. Gun first, Kneeling roll second, and mat third. I'd rather have my elbows on concrete than kneel for 30 seconds without a roll, )(*#(& that hurts. Of course you don't mention 3-position, so maybe the mat will show up sooner. I'm very happy with the one I bought from Champion's Choice or Shooters (Friend ordered them), water proof bottom, and non-slip pads. I would guess most mail order places sell them. Carpeting with a foam pad is a decent way to start, but if you're BUYING it, I'd just start with the mat itself, they're under $80.00.
Mike
Wichita KS

mschroeder5-at-cox.net.48906.48849