rifle touches jacket

old, good http://www.midcoast.com/~pilkguns/bbs/

Moderators: rexifelis, pilkguns

DW

rifle touches jacket

Post by DW »

I am a smallbore prone shooter who has short arms. My problem is no matter what I have tried I still cannot prevent the pistol grip from touching my jacket.I have tried raising my sling as high as I can but this only produced more pulse. Any thoughts or ideas would be appreciated.
dbugszy-at-bellsouth.net.48819.0
Katy

Re: rifle touches jacket

Post by Katy »

what type of rifle is it? is it one where the pistol grip can be set and an angle?
: I am a smallbore prone shooter who has short arms. My problem is no matter what I have tried I still cannot prevent the pistol grip from touching my jacket.I have tried raising my sling as high as I can but this only produced more pulse. Any thoughts or ideas would be appreciated.

David

Post by David »

Try shortening your stock and squaring your shoulders to the target. I have a feeling I could describe your position as one in which you are shooting "beside" the rifle, rather than from behind it. Bob Foth recommended to me, a short armed rifle shooter, to take the stock length all the way in. You should also see a better recoil if you put your shoulders reasonably square to the target.
DEAmiot-at-aol.com.48831.48819
outdoored

Post by outdoored »

: Just cut or change the trigger guard to relieve the sling touching.
outdoored-at-pyramid.net.48836.48819
DW

Post by DW »

: what type of rifle is it? is it one where the pistol grip can be set and an angle?
: : I am a smallbore prone shooter who has short arms. My problem is no matter what I have tried I still cannot prevent the pistol grip from touching my jacket.I have tried raising my sling as high as I can but this only produced more pulse. Any thoughts or ideas would be appreciated.

dbugszy-at-bellsouth.net.48886.48823
Martin H

Post by Martin H »

: I am a smallbore prone shooter who has short arms. My problem is no matter what I have tried I still cannot prevent the pistol grip from touching my jacket.I have tried raising my sling as high as I can but this only produced more pulse. Any thoughts or ideas would be appreciated.
DW,
Been there, done that, my sling used to get very close to the front of the trigger guard. I shortened the handstop back about 100mm and then adjusted sling so my position was at the correct height again. The butt length didn't really change much as long as you can still reach the trigger easily. One important detail is the front arm must not roll over to the left (right hand shooter) so that the left elbow is way under the rifle. Not only will you end up with the trigger hand getting very close to the sling again, it will also cause the butt to become loose into the shoulder and your hold will become unsteady (esp horizontally). Try and think of the front arm as a triangle which should be keep approx vertical, not leaning either left or right at the top.
Martin
Michael Ray

Post by Michael Ray »

You can also use a shallow foreend block (eg, what comes with 1912) so you're closer to a standard rifle and put your stop on that. I have a 5 foot tall woman on my team that does that for prone and uses the block plus the additional riser for kneeling.