What should I buy ? Tau - 7 / Twinmaster Top / Aeron B96

old, good http://www.midcoast.com/~pilkguns/bbs/

Moderators: rexifelis, pilkguns

ESA From NY

What should I buy ? Tau - 7 / Twinmaster Top / Aeron B96

Post by ESA From NY »

Have been researhing the above three pistols on the forum and all appear to have their pros and cons.
Looking for a pistol that would be accurate enough and fall under the budget of these three (<$500 or so).
Multishot would be great but accuracy and reliability come first.
Any recommendations would be highly appreciated.
Thank you
evis_s-at-yahoo.com.48816.0
tj

Re: What should I buy ? Tau - 7 / Twinmaster Top / Aeron B9

Post by tj »

IZH46M beats them all.
: Have been researhing the above three pistols on the forum and all appear to have their pros and cons.
: Looking for a pistol that would be accurate enough and fall under the budget of these three (<$500 or so).
: Multishot would be great but accuracy and reliability come first.
: Any recommendations would be highly appreciated.
: Thank you

shootingsports-at-ev1.net.48822.48816
Stale

Re: What should I buy ? Secondhand Morini, Steyr or Feinwerk

Post by Stale »

:A used gun of these brands will outshoot any of these cheap pistols.
: and save You a lot of problems.
s.waagbo-at-online.no.48844.48816
Craig E.

Post by Craig E. »

I started out with a IZH 46 (on recommendation from our host) and had great success. Price=right, accuracy=superb; fit/finish=ok. Moved up to used LP1 CO2....much much better equipment, but scores are about the same or only slightly better than with the 46. The other advice you have gotten here is solid. FWIW

: Have been researhing the above three pistols on the forum and all appear to have their pros and cons.
: Looking for a pistol that would be accurate enough and fall under the budget of these three (<$500 or so).

alance2002-at-yahoo.com.48845.48816
yana

Post by yana »

I'm personally not so fond of Twinmasters
Aeron is great as far as I've read bout them
I own the Tau 7 and I'm very pleased with it; comes totally complete with everything you could wish for;cilinders, weights,other size inserts front&rear...
also like the Tau looks best
it's true you could also buy a sechand Steyr or something, but I don't think one NEEDS one
besides, sechands don't always come complete with access
with all 3 pistols you can have winning scores if you practice,practice
you can have a $2000 pistol, but if you don't practice, you'll never have good scores

hwtyger-at-hotmail.com.48848.48822
Bubba

Post by Bubba »

If you are looking for a 10 m pistol, of the three you have listed, the TAU-7 would be my choice.
I know nothing about the Twinmaster.
I have owned an Aeron B-96. In fact I think the distributer and I went through three of the B-96 pistols, and a bunch of parts, before we found the combination that worked. Fourunately the Importer was very understanding and cooperative. Unfortunately, if I added the UPS bills for shipping and insurance, I paid one way and he paid the other, and the fuel and time to pack and ship the pistol, I could have owned a used LP-5, and been done with it.
The problem with the B-96s that I had was feeding the magazine. And broken parts, and premature wear on the parts that had to do with feeding the magazine.
The B-96 was very accurate. You could live with the trigger, and I you followed the directions in one of the issues of the out of print Air Gun Letter, you could get a pretty decent trigger. But there is no room for error. I have since had the privledge of using an LP-5 that Warren at Pilkington's sent me. What a difference. Never had a malfunction in feeding, after adjusting the trigger. But, I learned a lot from my experiences with the B-96, so I was not suprised or concerned when, during adjustment of the trigger, the pistol went to automatic mode, discharging five shots very fast with one pull of the trigger. No worry, just reverse the last adjustment. The LP-5 is very predictable, I believe, as a result of superior parts, workmanship, and design.
I am set up for bulk fill, with a 20 pound CO-2 tank, so the TAU-7 and the LP-1 are no problem to fill.
I like the TAU-7. It is not the pistol that the LP-1 is, but it is a lot cheaper. It is durable, and versital. I have used it from a rest, with a 3-9 Weaver rifle scope in it and at 25 yards with little wind, it is amazingly accurate. As a 10 m pistol, the grips are a little crude, but, int unusable, and lots of people can cure the grip issue, if you have one with the TAU. I had problems with the loding gate popping open and have the third gate on it now, and have had it on the pistol for over a year, with no problems. My TAU-7 is at least 5 years old. i bought it new, traded it in, and then, about two years later, bought it back. I have had a 3.5 oz. bulk tank hanging from the grip, for silhouette, and it balances very well with a two hand hold.
A pistol you might want to consider is a Pardini K-60. a CO-2 pistol that is very reasonably priced in the used market, and one of the best CO-2 pistols I have shot. No longer in production, you will have to look for a used one. I bought one from Warren at Pilkington's, on his advise, because I had never even seen one. Man, what a pleasant suprise. I think they have one for sale, and Warren will tell you the truth about it. Should bee about the price of the basic TAU-7 and in my humble opinion, if the K-60 is in good condition, it is a better 10 m starter pistol than the TAU-7, and perhaps even some of the FWB CO-2 pistols.
Any questions?
Hope ther is something that you can use in all of the verbage above.
Respectully,
Bubba

DanielHankiins-at-wmconnect.com.48853.48816
3d

Post by 3d »

I can only comment on the TAU-7 which in all fairness was one of the very first ones to arrive in the states. Mine had constant leakage problems with the seals and the valve. In most cases, a reassembly solved the problem for a short time. Mine also developed the same problem as Bubba's with the loading gate always popping open and pitching the seals. Very high maintainance pistol. Like Bubba, if I was to calculate all of the shipping,parts and service that I put into the TAU, I would probably have neem able to buy a used,premium pistol. The importer for the TAU back then is the same one who imports the Aeron's now. I can't say enough for his promptness of service,response,and reputability when it comes to supporting his product if you choose to go with the Aeron. Genuine pleasure to deal with and you'll get the first class service that you'd expect from a high end product.
3d

THOR

Tau - 7 loading gate fix

Post by THOR »

The prob is not with the loading gate itself , but the latching plunger in its rear. The dia of the bevel on the plunger is too large , preventing sufficient engagement. I removed the plunger (drift out the securing pin) and stoned the bevel of the plunger to allow it to engage its recieving hole more. Preserve the angle and radious of the bevel. It sounds difficult , but is simple when u see the part. I stoned the plunger slightly on both of my tau 7's and have NEVER had a pop open since! Replacing the loading gate(with plunger) or just the plunger , wont help as the prob is in the way its made a few thou too large.