Bedding for Smallbore Target Rifles

old, good http://www.midcoast.com/~pilkguns/bbs/

Moderators: rexifelis, pilkguns

TomW

Bedding for Smallbore Target Rifles

Post by TomW »

I've a question for the group in relation to bedding methods for smallbore target rifles. I've been doing some research on the matter, both in the smallbore target area and in smallbore benchrest and there appear to be two mainstream ways of bedding these rifles. One is the conventional way with the action firmly bedded into the stock, either glassed in or a combination of glassing and pillar blocks with the barrel free floating, and the second way appears to be using a barrel bedding block, which clamps the barrel to the stock just in front of the action and allows both the action and the barrel to float freely.
Bench resters seem to favour this latter method and I notice now that some of the custom smallbore target rifles are using the bedding block system ie Bleiker offers the Schmid Alustock smallbore rifle, which has a free floating action and a sort of free floating barrel, and Cicognani of Italy offers a true barrel bedding block for its smallbore rifles, with action and barrel fully free floating.
I must say that the barrel bedding block system with action and barrel free floating seems a more elegant solution to the problem of obtaining good bedding. Are there any views out there on these two methods, with advantages/disadvantages of each.
Advice and information would be much appreciated.
regards
Tom
twoodle1-at-bigpond.net.au.48774.0
seaton

Re: Bedding for Smallbore Target Rifles

Post by seaton »

over the years i have tried several ways , and all seem to work depending on the stiffness of the barrel . in my expierience , the heavier the bbl the more my first choise is the bbl block. my bull bbl mod 52B win. with canjar trigger, glass bedded action , would 'walk' , seemingly with the weather
( !) till i bbl blocked it. it has the factory wood target stock.

seaton2-at-REMOVEfrontiernet.net.48777.48774
Len

Two main issues; the stock and the barrel weight

Post by Len »

The beding block for the mid action seems to work best in an inert stock, one that does not expand with weather and temperature. Typically if you just bed the action, and have a medium to heavy barrel, the stock will swell in the action area and you will be "off target". If you do the barrel block in a wood stock make sure the inner portion of the stock is fully sealed and as "dry" as possible.
The advent of the aluminum stock has really done wonders as they are much more inert. Laminates seem to work well too but again cutting the channel for the beding block will require sealing the inner portion of the inletting.
I think for heavy barrels with nominal tapers, the barrel block is better. for lighter barrels, barrels that are fluted, or have a profile with a taper that is at least a >10 percent down taper from the breach threads or secure point, action beading might be better with a free floated barrel.
TomW

Re: Bedding for Smallbore Target Rifles

Post by TomW »

THanks for the input, Len and Seaton. Much appreciated
Regards
Tom

: I've a question for the group in relation to bedding methods for smallbore target rifles. I've been doing some research on the matter, both in the smallbore target area and in smallbore benchrest and there appear to be two mainstream ways of bedding these rifles. One is the conventional way with the action firmly bedded into the stock, either glassed in or a combination of glassing and pillar blocks with the barrel free floating, and the second way appears to be using a barrel bedding block, which clamps the barrel to the stock just in front of the action and allows both the action and the barrel to float freely.
: Bench resters seem to favour this latter method and I notice now that some of the custom smallbore target rifles are using the bedding block system ie Bleiker offers the Schmid Alustock smallbore rifle, which has a free floating action and a sort of free floating barrel, and Cicognani of Italy offers a true barrel bedding block for its smallbore rifles, with action and barrel fully free floating.
: I must say that the barrel bedding block system with action and barrel free floating seems a more elegant solution to the problem of obtaining good bedding. Are there any views out there on these two methods, with advantages/disadvantages of each.
: Advice and information would be much appreciated.
: regards
: Tom

twoodle1-at-bigpond.net.au.48869.48774