Barrels - Walther vs. Lothar Walther - same..?

old, good http://www.midcoast.com/~pilkguns/bbs/

Moderators: rexifelis, pilkguns

steve b.

Barrels - Walther vs. Lothar Walther - same..?

Post by steve b. »

hey all, trying to find out if these barrels are made at the same factory and if there is any difference between a walther and lothar walther barrel.
Michael Ray

Re: Barrels - Walther vs. Lothar Walther - same..?

Post by Michael Ray »

: hey all, trying to find out if these barrels are made at the same factory and if there is any difference between a walther and lothar walther barrel.
No they aren't the same. Carl and Lothar were (are?) brothers IIRC. (Carl) Walther make their own pistol barrels, but not rifle. They don't purchase them from Lothar Walther oddly enough though they wouldn't tell me who. Most suspect it's Hammerli.
Len

Re: Barrels - Walther vs. Lothar Walther - same..?

Post by Len »

There are a few different "walther barrels" and more importantly the vendor selling may be "cutting the profile for a barrel" so depending on the vendor, you "walther" barrel may not be the same as someone elses.
Often times vendors will interchange the names not really meaning to confuse the lothar walther name with the carl walther name and facility.
As well the more generic "walther" may be used with no real concern for the heritage of the difference.
Getting back to the gutting of barrels. Anyone can order a custom barrel from Lothar Walther, you can order them one at a time or give a barrel spec and get an OEM production run. You can also order a "blank" with a OD that matches your needs and "profile" or cut it yourself. It's still a Lothar Walther barrel, but it's been cut and maybe even chambered by someone else. The chamber and the process for cutting the profile can have a dramatic effect on the efficacy of the barrel.
I guess the theory is, start with the best blank, and build up from there...but many people are not able to really tap the potential of the blank because of substandard knowledge or machines/process in cutting and chambering.
Lastly many of the "military" and defense pistols have barrels cut on the production line for the guns, at the Walther gun factory v. the lothar walther barrel factory.
So I guess I didn't really answer your question because we would need to look at the vendor who is saying "walther" barrel and get a bit more information. More than likely they mean lothat walther barrels if it's an OEM barrel...but they could also be cutting thier own profiles with lothat walther blanks.

Len

Carl = Father, Lothar = Son and pistol champ.

Post by Len »

: : hey all, trying to find out if these barrels are made at the same factory and if there is any difference between a walther and lothar walther barrel.
: No they aren't the same. Carl and Lothar were (are?) brothers IIRC. (Carl) Walther make their own pistol barrels, but not rifle. They don't purchase them from Lothar Walther oddly enough though they wouldn't tell me who. Most suspect it's Hammerli.

Tom George

Re: Barrels for the m 98 mauser

Post by Tom George »

: : hey all, trying to find out if these barrels are made at the same factory and if there is any difference between a walther and lothar walther barrel.
: No they aren't the same. Carl and Lothar were (are?) brothers IIRC. (Carl) Walther make their own pistol barrels, but not rifle. They don't purchase them from Lothar Walther oddly enough though they wouldn't tell me who. Most suspect it's Hammerli.

tgmdf-at-a0l.com.50039.48703