triangular front apertures

old, good http://www.midcoast.com/~pilkguns/bbs/

Moderators: rexifelis, pilkguns

Katy

triangular front apertures

Post by Katy »

what do you all think of triangular apertures for rifle shooters? would the ones on the centershot website work in anschutz sites?
any info would be apreciated.

Katy
Michael Ray

Re: triangular front apertures

Post by Michael Ray »

: what do you all think of triangular apertures for rifle shooters? would the ones on the centershot website work in anschutz sites?
: any info would be apreciated.
They will fit but I wouldn't use them. They require you to watch 3 points whereas the standard aperatures only require 1 if you are sighting correctly. Then again, requiring more focus on the sights may be beneficial for some people.
Len

Post by Len »

I sort of like them and they are availible for most rifles.
One thing to consider, if you have a couple degrees of cant in your sights there will be the physical and optical "illusion" of the top of the triangle not being in perfect alignment with the center axis of the gun. Now this can help or hurt if you are distracted by such things, but it's also a good indicator of a consistient weld of gun to shooter.
The diameters of the frontsight barrels are mostly very close...and almost "universal" hence often times one works for almost all. It's the inserts with tabs that sometimes messes you up brand to brand.
Katy

Post by Katy »

Do they make triangular front apertures with tabs?
: I sort of like them and they are availible for most rifles.
: One thing to consider, if you have a couple degrees of cant in your sights there will be the physical and optical "illusion" of the top of the triangle not being in perfect alignment with the center axis of the gun. Now this can help or hurt if you are distracted by such things, but it's also a good indicator of a consistient weld of gun to shooter.
: The diameters of the frontsight barrels are mostly very close...and almost "universal" hence often times one works for almost all. It's the inserts with tabs that sometimes messes you up brand to brand.

Len

Post by Len »

I have not really seen ones with tabs, most of the ones I have seen "slide" in the barrel of the sight and are "clamped" in position using the screw from the sight. Often times they have a slight recess to allow the perfect alignment of the insert into the barrel of the sight.
I think one of the reasons they may not make them with tabes is because most are made out of plastic and having the little tabs there might be a pain because they have to be so thin and are less "universal".
JP O'Connor

Post by JP O'Connor »

: what do you all think of triangular apertures for rifle shooters? would the ones on the centershot website work in anschutz sites?
: any info would be apreciated.
:
: Katy
-----
Triangular apertures appeal, at least in theory, to those who "check" their sight picture consciously and with lots of visual activity.
After all, there are "only 3 places to check" instead of an entire ring. While apealing in theory, things work differently in paractice.
An active visual process ("looking around" and "checking" and such) causes more mental activity, more anxiety, and actually opens the hold. A test in Europe that I heard about showed hold actually opening up a bit with triangular apretures. This is not surprising.
The best shooters trust their process and have a "quiet eye" that rests on the very center of the sight picture and "drinks in" the scene. No active visual actions going on. Somewhere deep in the athlete, all those circles line themselves up with no effort.
Now, there are differing shooting styles and these apertures might help a really conscious, visual shooter. I submit, however, that really high level performance is achieved in a much different way and triangular apertures draw one away from that way.
"Feel Center!"
-JP

jpoc-at-acm.org.48712.48696
pdeal

Post by pdeal »

Katy: If you decide you want to give them a go email me. A shooting buddy of mine bought a whole set and decided he did not like them. I am pretty sure he wants to sell them.
pdeal-at-mylanlabs.com.48720.48704
Pat McCoy

Post by Pat McCoy »

: what do you all think of triangular apertures for rifle shooters?
These can be useful insome instances, especially for shooters who need more light thru the front aperture. I changed two years ago, and have seen a 5% increase in scores on air rifle, BUT I am 57 and have both floaters and the start of a cataract, so needed a lot of additional light. I do find that the top of the triangle is best for me pointed to about 11 o'clock (I've tried different locations), and I think this works as a built in cant indicator for me.
The few junior shooters I coach who have tried these did not like them.
would the ones on the centershot website work in anschutz sites?
Yes.
See if you can find somesome you know eho uses these who will lend you one for a couple practice sessions.

patmccoyagency-at-wyoming.com.48728.48696
Ed Knutson

Post by Ed Knutson »

Katy:
If you contact me directly and provide me with a mailing address, I will send you a set of high quality triangular apertures complete with a clamping collet for your Anschutz front sight that you can try and see for yourself if they make a difference. If you like them, you can then get a set from Pilkguns or Centershot. Please let me know if you would like to try them.
Kindest regards,
Ed Knutson
the2lts@earthlink.net
the2lts-at-earthlink.net.48729.48696
Perry W. McFarland

Post by Perry W. McFarland »

Katy:
Right off the bat, I will "confess" that I am not a world-class shooter. I shot a 554/600 in my last 60 shot offhand match with the air rifle. That will not prevent me from sharing my "rant" with you!!!
I read all of the other postings regarding the triangular afront apertures, and I believe that they are a fad and that they don't have much merit (see JP O'Connor's post and Michael Ray's post; I think that their reasoning is sound).
Please consider the fact that history does repeat itself in this case. For example, if you dig out some old shooting magazines and catalogs from the 1930's, you will probably see advertisements for triangular and even square front apertures that shooters were experimenting with in those days.
In the end, everyone returned to using regular round apertures. But gimmicks seem to resurface from time to time.
What I am trying to say is that you should save your time and money by not repeating experiments that were proven ineffective more than sixty years ago.
Regards.
Perry

PerryMcF-at-aol.com.48743.48696