Pellet sizing

old, good http://www.midcoast.com/~pilkguns/bbs/

Moderators: rexifelis, pilkguns

Len

Pellet sizing

Post by Len »

In the FT world a lot of prep goes into the pellet, pre-match.
Washing, drying, weighing, sorting, lubing, kissing, fondeling, some voodoo, ritual sacrafice and so on.
As match shooters do you "prep" your pellets in anyway? I'm not concerned about the lubing as I know what that's for and how that's not particularly applicable to match guns at "noremal" velocities...but what about weighing and sorting and sizing?
My real problem is, I've never found by doing all that work (or not doing it) my scores have increased or decreased as the case may be.
Maybe it's just beyond my ability to take the benefit of the pellet prep.
Bob Riegl

Re: Pellet sizing

Post by Bob Riegl »

IMHO it's "VOODOO" ---yes there are those who prefer one pellet to another---you pays your money and takes yer choice---this is not "Bench Rest" shooting where I believe the weight of the primer is a factor (pun intended). I have seen all kinds of tests with machine rest groupings---that's the gun's ability---now the human factor steps in and all bets are off---again in my very humble opinion.
Len

Good point

Post by Len »

I have often wondered how a pellet that you must wash, blow dry and lube ends up being the "best pellet". Then there is the concern of "die lots".
Slowly I think that world is moving on as the JSB seem to be coming into favor...a much easier pellet to work with.
Oddly the BRV was won with Nygord match pellets.

Slugster

Re: Pellet sizing

Post by Slugster »

: As match shooters do you "prep" your pellets in anyway? I'm not concerned about the lubing as I know what that's for and how that's not particularly applicable to match guns at "normal" velocities...but what about weighing and sorting and sizing?
---I never weighed and sorted or lubed my pellets, but I have the pellet sizer and pellet insertion tool sold by Beeman some years back. I can definitely say that they make a positive difference in accuracy, even with the 500-ct tins of H&N match which was my usual pistol/indoor rifle pellets. (I never tried the foam-packed pellets so about those I do not know) The guns I have are not exactly match-grade (a Beeman RX rifle and a Daisy 777 pistol) but the difference was noticeable.
~~~