Ultimate Case of Chicken Finger

old, good http://www.midcoast.com/~pilkguns/bbs/

Moderators: rexifelis, pilkguns

TJ

Ultimate Case of Chicken Finger

Post by TJ »

I have the ultimate case of chicken finger, no tactile feedback.
When I was in college and bulletproof, I was in an accident that severed my nerve that goes to my inside thumb and forefinger and half of my middle finger. SO I have no feeling in my trigger finger which makes it hard to know how much weight to put on the trigger.
Pulling a 500gm 10m target AP trigger that is crisp as glass takes a monumental effort to maintain the sight picture and get the shot released. I dont know if I am pulling or not.
This is mostly why I like action pistol shooting and silhouette with really light triggers.
I have tried shooting left handed, but I am not willing to put in the effort to relearn.
Mostly I have to learn the trigger every time I shoot and concentrate on sending a signal from my eyes to my brain to my finger, which is not easy with a short circuit.
Any suggestions?
shootingsports-at-ev1.net.48491.0
Bob

Re: Ultimate Case of Chicken Finger

Post by Bob »

Go to www.olympics.org and type takacs in the search box.

JLK

Post by JLK »

TJ,
Wow!
Neuro problems are sure strange.
A little over 4 years ago I was paralyzed on my upper right body. I couldn't touch my nose, feed myself, button a shirt, open a car door...
Like you it was due to the "thrills and spills" of my youth. An accumulation of car, motorcycle, skiing and flying accidents. Finally 2 ruptured disks, 1 herneated disk, the spinal canal tightening on my spinal cord and, the real kicker, a bone spur pushing directly on the cord.
It was to the point my spinal cord was about to be severed!
I had a great surgeon who removed the 3 disks, fused the 3 levels with donor bone, put a titanium plate in and 8 bolts to hold me together at levels C4 thru C7. He got the bone spurs and opened the spinal canal.
Through a lot of hard work and a LOT of help from other people I regained the use of my right side. To see me now you would not guess I had been a spinal patient except for one heck of a big scar on my neck!
I don't think the fine muscle control really ever came back. But I keep trying!
We'll have to get together sometime and compare scars!
JLK

TJ

Post by TJ »

Well while shooting this morning, I may have found my own solution.
I have always liked a crisp trigger with no takeup or overtravel.
I was reading about two stage triggers and what is termed "rolling the trigger" and tried it.
I found that with the perception of movement I was able to gauge when I got to the point of release, and I already had the momentum of my trigger pull so I am able to make the transition to release the shot.
It is very enlightening and I am going to shoot more after work with this setup and see how well I do. My score this morning was average so with a little practice I am hoping it will imporve.

: I have the ultimate case of chicken finger, no tactile feedback.
: When I was in college and bulletproof, I was in an accident that severed my nerve that goes to my inside thumb and forefinger and half of my middle finger. SO I have no feeling in my trigger finger which makes it hard to know how much weight to put on the trigger.
: Pulling a 500gm 10m target AP trigger that is crisp as glass takes a monumental effort to maintain the sight picture and get the shot released. I dont know if I am pulling or not.
: This is mostly why I like action pistol shooting and silhouette with really light triggers.
: I have tried shooting left handed, but I am not willing to put in the effort to relearn.
: Mostly I have to learn the trigger every time I shoot and concentrate on sending a signal from my eyes to my brain to my finger, which is not easy with a short circuit.
: Any suggestions?

shootingsports-at-ev1.net.48499.48491
mikej

Post by mikej »

: you know, --- if you did exactly what you do below for every shot and initiated a fairly aggressive trigger loading , you would probably be on your way to shooting tens.....
mike j
: Pulling a 500gm 10m target AP trigger that is crisp as glass takes a monumental effort to maintain the sight picture and get the shot released. I dont know if I am pulling or not.