That &*#% CNN Story!!!

old, good http://www.midcoast.com/~pilkguns/bbs/

Moderators: rexifelis, pilkguns

Mark

That &*#% CNN Story!!!

Post by Mark »

OK - here's the poop!
Our local small town TV station was doing a story on different things that local people do. They caught onto me. What I told them in the interview was COMPLETELY screwed up! I said that if I could place in the at high as the top ten shooters for one day at 3X, then I would feel I could go to the Spring Selection match for the experience. Apparently CNN caught it from the TV station and repeated all the erroneous "facts"!
I DO understand the Olympic selection process!!!!! The news media does not and took things completely out of context! It was not my idea whatsoever for any of this to appear, and I had NO knowledge that CNN picked it up until my wife called my at OTC. They took a 45 minute interview and whittled it down to 3 minutes, leaving out everything but what "seemed" right!
To say the least, I am embarassed about the whole thing!! The story ran on the local TV station AFTER I left for OTC, so I had no opportunity to correct their errors! I DO plan to do this on Monday.
I guess that they were a bit over-zealous perhaps in their erroneous reporting! When you mention Olympic Training Center to most people, they really don't know what the deal is.
I apologize to the entire shooting community for this. I DID NOT in the least expect anything like this type of result. All I did was to explain Olympic style air-pistol to the sports reporter and the upcoming 3x competition at OTC.
To say the least, I am very embarassed for this!
Mark

Len

I don't think anyone is faulting you

Post by Len »

It's more a comment on the powers that be in the news industry not knowing what they are talking about.
News is no longer (or rarely has been) about truth and accuracy, it's about what sells and what sounds good.
If nothing else you have some big shoes to fill and a goal a head of you, prove that story right!

LesJ

Re: That &*#% CNN Story!!!

Post by LesJ »

I think that the reporter should be embarrassed not you, but most of them all they care is their story and if they screw up somebody on the way, that's no big deal to them.
I hope the matches were good experience for you, even if you did not performed like you expected, They were for me last year. On first day it seamed like I forgot how to shoot due to nerves. I was able to slowly recover on following days.
It is great experience, I wish I was able to attend this year too, but because of my kids school schedule I had to choose between 3X Air Pistol and Junior Olympics.
Looking forward to compete on High Noon.

Mack

Post by Mack »

I doubt anyone didn't see through this lousy story very quickly. No worries.
How did you like shooting at the OTC? I tried to come by to introduce myself today, but lost track of you by the time I finished. I always have a great time shooting there, even though I never shoot very well. My trigger seems to increase in weight by several factors of 10. :-) I also find that their lighting is so much more intense on the target than my home range that it takes some getting used to. Hope you had fun.
Jim

Post by Jim »

Mark:
I my line of work (politics) there is an old adage... "Never argue with those who buy their ink by the barrel."
No need for embarrassment or apologies ... just let it ride and move on.
My 2 cents of advise.
Good shooting at the 3X.

: OK - here's the poop!
: Our local small town TV station was doing a story on different things that local people do. They caught onto me. What I told them in the interview was COMPLETELY screwed up! I said that if I could place in the at high as the top ten shooters for one day at 3X, then I would feel I could go to the Spring Selection match for the experience. Apparently CNN caught it from the TV station and repeated all the erroneous "facts"!
: I DO understand the Olympic selection process!!!!! The news media does not and took things completely out of context! It was not my idea whatsoever for any of this to appear, and I had NO knowledge that CNN picked it up until my wife called my at OTC. They took a 45 minute interview and whittled it down to 3 minutes, leaving out everything but what "seemed" right!
: To say the least, I am embarassed about the whole thing!! The story ran on the local TV station AFTER I left for OTC, so I had no opportunity to correct their errors! I DO plan to do this on Monday.
: I guess that they were a bit over-zealous perhaps in their erroneous reporting! When you mention Olympic Training Center to most people, they really don't know what the deal is.
: I apologize to the entire shooting community for this. I DID NOT in the least expect anything like this type of result. All I did was to explain Olympic style air-pistol to the sports reporter and the upcoming 3x competition at OTC.
: To say the least, I am very embarassed for this!
: Mark

troutmd-at-earthlink.net.48483.48477
Mark

Post by Mark »

Thanks for the kind words - it's just frustrating and embarassing. All I really was trying to do is to promote 10M air pistol to our local area. Imagine my surprise and astonishment when my wife called me up while I was out there and told me about it!
I'm trying not to let it ruin a FANTASTIC experience! Friday I was just too nervous! But, Saturday was better and this morning was pretty good, just wish I could have the first 6 "8's" back! The rest of the shots were really good after that.
What was really fun was visiting with our top-level shooters and gaining some insights. Watching their technique in finals was great experience as well.
I still want to go to Benning for the Spring selection for the experience, today's shooting gave me the confidence that I can go there and at least shoot well enough to enjoy the experience!
It was a great 5 days for me!
Mark

: I doubt anyone didn't see through this lousy story very quickly. No worries.
: How did you like shooting at the OTC? I tried to come by to introduce myself today, but lost track of you by the time I finished. I always have a great time shooting there, even though I never shoot very well. My trigger seems to increase in weight by several factors of 10. :-) I also find that their lighting is so much more intense on the target than my home range that it takes some getting used to. Hope you had fun.

Mack

Post by Mack »

OMG don't even talk about getting into the finals. My hands sweat just watching them. How could I shoot with my heart beating 2000 bpm? LOL I'm always real impressed with how they handle the pressure. Just takes being there enough to learn to handle it. I don't have any worries though, unless there are only 8 shooters total. Yikes...
: Thanks for the kind words - it's just frustrating and embarassing. All I really was trying to do is to promote 10M air pistol to our local area. Imagine my surprise and astonishment when my wife called me up while I was out there and told me about it!
: I'm trying not to let it ruin a FANTASTIC experience! Friday I was just too nervous! But, Saturday was better and this morning was pretty good, just wish I could have the first 6 "8's" back! The rest of the shots were really good after that.
: What was really fun was visiting with our top-level shooters and gaining some insights. Watching their technique in finals was great experience as well.
: I still want to go to Benning for the Spring selection for the experience, today's shooting gave me the confidence that I can go there and at least shoot well enough to enjoy the experience!
: It was a great 5 days for me!
:
: : I doubt anyone didn't see through this lousy story very quickly. No worries.
: : How did you like shooting at the OTC? I tried to come by to introduce myself today, but lost track of you by the time I finished. I always have a great time shooting there, even though I never shoot very well. My trigger seems to increase in weight by several factors of 10. :-) I also find that their lighting is so much more intense on the target than my home range that it takes some getting used to. Hope you had fun.

LarryW

Post by LarryW »

Mark, I'm sorry if I contributed to all of this by mentioning the article on Target Talk. I knew right away that the facts in the story had been "messed up," as did everyone else in the
community. I think it is more important that the sport was noticed. By the way, though the story seems silly to us, if you see it through the eyes of some 14-year-old somewhere -- it could inspire him or her to get into shooting. And that's worth a little embarrassment.
lrw-at-bitplayer.net.48501.48477
Michael

Post by Michael »

Don't worry about the accuracy of the article. As anyone who has been the subject of the news knows, the media usually doesn't get it right. I'm just glad that our sport got some positive exposure. Good on you! We (the shooting commmunity) will get the straight scoop from our magazines and websites.
: OK - here's the poop!
: Our local small town TV station was doing a story on different things that local people do. They caught onto me. What I told them in the interview was COMPLETELY screwed up! I said that if I could place in the at high as the top ten shooters for one day at 3X, then I would feel I could go to the Spring Selection match for the experience. Apparently CNN caught it from the TV station and repeated all the erroneous "facts"!
: I DO understand the Olympic selection process!!!!! The news media does not and took things completely out of context! It was not my idea whatsoever for any of this to appear, and I had NO knowledge that CNN picked it up until my wife called my at OTC. They took a 45 minute interview and whittled it down to 3 minutes, leaving out everything but what "seemed" right!
: To say the least, I am embarassed about the whole thing!! The story ran on the local TV station AFTER I left for OTC, so I had no opportunity to correct their errors! I DO plan to do this on Monday.
: I guess that they were a bit over-zealous perhaps in their erroneous reporting! When you mention Olympic Training Center to most people, they really don't know what the deal is.
: I apologize to the entire shooting community for this. I DID NOT in the least expect anything like this type of result. All I did was to explain Olympic style air-pistol to the sports reporter and the upcoming 3x competition at OTC.
: To say the least, I am very embarassed for this!

elmer

Post by elmer »

u don't have to apologize mark. i've read the article on cnn and i didn't see anything wrong with it. your vision of yourself making it in the olympics is attainable. keep shooting