Pellet Weight

old, good http://www.midcoast.com/~pilkguns/bbs/

Moderators: rexifelis, pilkguns

JLK

Pellet Weight

Post by JLK »

Why is the heavier pellet recommended for air pistol.
Wouldn't the lighter pellet have less barrel residence time and therefore help with follow thru?
Thanks!
JLK

David Levene

Re: Pellet Weight

Post by David Levene »

: Why is the heavier pellet recommended for air pistol.
If you look at the H & N web site they aren't.
dalevene-at-blueyonder.co.uk.48455.48454
TJ

Post by TJ »

: : Why is the heavier pellet recommended for air pistol.
: If you look at the H & N web site they aren't.
JSB match pistol pellets are lighter!

shootingsports-at-ev1.net.48456.48455
Len

I don't think that's true

Post by Len »

RWS R-10 blues are for "pistol" and "yellows" are fir rifle and the rifle pellets are heavier.
Typically rifle pellets are "heavier" because there is more power in the rifle than the pistol and you can push that pellets a bit faster. Too fast would be bad in a rifle so weight sort of ballances the power with the speed.
For me the faster I can get that pellet out of the barrel, the better.

JLK

Post by JLK »

In the Shooter's Omnibus Mako makes the following statement:
"The old adage that a heavier pellet is perferrable for a match air pistol is not necessarily true".
While he is agreeing with the point in my question and the replies, there does seem to be a time when the heavy pellets were recommended.
...or am I just confused?
:-)
JLK
Warren

Post by Warren »

We generally recommend the "heavies" (LG) for pre-charged pistols, mostly because:
1. They are going fast enough that there really is a minimal difference between LG and LP pellets as far as lock time goes.
2. In my experience the LG pellets are a little easier to get in a selection of sizes - at least in countries where they have to be imported.
Many moons ago we only had one weight - the LG. The LP pellets were introduced when there were a lot of single stroke pneumatics around such as the FAS 604, Air Match CU400 and 600 - that were lucky to get anywhere near 400 fps using LG pellets. The LP pellets gave them another 15-20 fps.
I don't consider LG pellets perform BETTER than LP in pre-charged pistols. Much the same would be a fair guess. There is probably more variation from batch to batch than either size or weight.
LP = luft pistole = air pistol
LG = luft gewehre = air rifle
(apologies if my German is not spelt right)
TJ

Post by TJ »

: In the Shooter's Omnibus Mako makes the following statement:
: "The old adage that a heavier pellet is perferrable for a match air pistol is not necessarily true".
: While he is agreeing with the point in my question and the replies, there does seem to be a time when the heavy pellets were recommended.
: ...or am I just confused?
: :-)
: JLK
Indoor at 10m it really does not matter. There is no advantage to either with so little difference no matter what target gun you are using. If you sight it in at 10m, and the pellets are right for your gun, it does not matter if they are 7.5 or 8.5g. I started heavy because that is what was available and I wanted them for indoor pistol silhouettes also. Now I only shoot light in both 10m AP and AR and AP Silhouette. Makes no difference.
What matters is what shoots most accurate in your gun. And I have yet to find a pellet at 10m that wont go into a hole no larger than .2 all day long.
Your milage may vary.

shootingsport-at-ev1.net.48463.48459
Mark.

Post by Mark. »

Buy a selection of pellets, both heavy and light, and try them in your gun. Then purchase in bulk once you've found the best-grouping pellet for your gun. This logic applies to both air pistol and air rifle. Shoot the pellet that shoots the best from your gun.
That's why my LP10 gets fed H&N Finale Match rifle pellets!

Mark.
Christopher

Post by Christopher »

Here's something that may interest you:
I once tried a 'blind' test with a very good shooter.
I cocked his FWB 100 and loaded pellets for him.
My only instruction was to shoot a 'bench rest group'. I did not tell him what I put in.
There were about 12 different pellets ranging from 6.7gr right up to 11 gr; match to sporters.
For the heck of it, I even 'damaged' the skirt of some of those pellets by squeezing them until they were a very obvious oval shape.
They all hit 10s, with 2 shots hitting tight 9's.
The pellets were:
RWS
1) Blue tin
2) Yellow tin
3) R10 light (4.49)
4) R10 light (4.51)
5) R10 heavy (4.50)
6) R10 heavy (4.51)
7) Club
8) Geco
9) RWS Magnum wadcutters
10) RWS Superpoint
H&N
11) Finale Match light
12) Finale Match heavy
I then showed him the list of pellets he had just fired, and asked him to take that target to the pistol coach and request for advise about which was the "best" pellet!
We both had a great laugh after that!
Go figure...
Cheers!