CNN Shooting Article

old, good http://www.midcoast.com/~pilkguns/bbs/

Moderators: rexifelis, pilkguns

LarryW

CNN Shooting Article

Post by LarryW »

I just spotted this article on CNN.com about pistol shooting. It's about Mark Rogers and his Olympic aspirations. I'm just a beginner here, but it seems to me that the facts are a little bit messed up. That's probably typical for news articles. Here's the link.
CNN Article
http://www.cnn.com/2004/US/Central/01/2 ... index.html
lrw-at-bitplayer.net.48436.0
billb

Re: CNN Shooting Article

Post by billb »

Maybe I missed something but what is wrong with the article. Lots of shooters practice in their homes with air guns perfectly safe with the proper back drop and target traps.
billandnicki-at-charter.org.48442.48436
Len

Post by Len »

"It fires small pellets propelled by a burst of air, so it won't leave any holes in his walls. "
Really it fires pellets via a burst of air because it's an air pistol, and that's his competition.
f read the way it's written, it sounds like he uses an air pistol in his house so he won't shoot through the sheetrock, which anyone that has ever missed a backstop knows...air pistols will dammage sheetrock no problem.

LarryW

Post by LarryW »

: Maybe I missed something but what is wrong with the article. Lots of shooters practice in their homes with air guns perfectly safe with the proper back drop and target traps.
I don't believe the current shoot is part of the Olympic trials (part 1 was held in September, part 2 is scheduled for May/June). I don't see Mark Rodger's name on the results for part 1 (go to USA Shooting and the Results section) so I suspect he is refering to the 2008 Olympics and beyond. The part about the top ten advancing from the current 3X Championship to Ft. Benning for the finals seems completely wrong. Maybe one of the shooters who is more involved in this process will set the record straight.
lrw-at-bitplayer.net.48445.48442
Bob

Post by Bob »

: : Maybe I missed something but what is wrong with the article. Lots of shooters practice in their homes with air guns perfectly safe with the proper back drop and target traps.
: I don't believe the current shoot is part of the Olympic trials (part 1 was held in September, part 2 is scheduled for May/June).
That is correct.
I don't see Mark Rodger's name on the results for part 1 (go to USA Shooting and the Results section) so I suspect he is refering to the 2008 Olympics and beyond. The part about the top ten advancing from the current 3X Championship to Ft. Benning for the finals seems completely wrong.
You are correct here as well. The final trials are open, however someone who has missed the first half of trials is trailing by two courses in points.
Maybe one of the shooters who is more involved in this process will set the record straight.

Mark Rogers

Post by Mark Rogers »

: : : Maybe I missed something but what is wrong with the article. Lots of shooters practice in their homes with air guns perfectly safe with the proper back drop and target traps.
: : I don't believe the current shoot is part of the Olympic trials (part 1 was held in September, part 2 is scheduled for May/June).
: That is correct.
: I don't see Mark Rodger's name on the results for part 1 (go to USA Shooting and the Results section) so I suspect he is refering to the 2008 Olympics and beyond. The part about the top ten advancing from the current 3X Championship to Ft.
Benning for the finals seems completely wrong.

OK - here's the poop!
Our local small town TV station was doing a story on different things that local people do. They caught onto me. What I told them in the interview was COMPLETELY screwed up! I said that if I could place in the at high as the top ten shooters for one day at 3X, then I would feel I could go to the Spring Selection match for the experience.
I DO understand the Olympic selection process!!!!! The news media does not and took things completely out of context! It was not my idea whatsoever for any of this to appear, and I had NO knowledge that CNN picked it up until my wife called my at OTC.
To say the least, I am embarassed about the whole thing!! The story ran on the local TV station AFTER I left for OTC, so I had no opportunity to correct their errors! I DO plan to do this on Monday.
I guess that they were a bit over-zealous perhaps in their erroneous reporting! When you mention Olympic Training Center to most people, they really don't know what the deal is.
I apologize to the entire shooting community for this. I DID NOT in the least expect anything like this type of result. All I did was to explain Olympic style air-pistol to the sports reporter and the upcoming 3x competition at OTC.
To say the least, I am very embarassed for this!
Mark
: You are correct here as well. The final trials are open, however someone who has missed the first half of trials is trailing by two courses in points.
: Maybe one of the shooters who is more involved in this process will set the record straight.

Mark Rogers

Post by Mark Rogers »

: "It fires small pellets propelled by a burst of air, so it won't leave any holes in his walls. "
Again, I am embarassed the way this came out!
To be exact, my pellet trap sits against a brick wall, not sheetrock.
My sincere apologies to the entire shooting community.
Something like this, even when it is not of your doing, but that of a incompetent reporter, makes me want to sell the pistol and turn to stamp collecting.
Sorry everybody!!!!!
mark
: Really it fires pellets via a burst of air because it's an air pistol, and that's his competition.
: f read the way it's written, it sounds like he uses an air pistol in his house so he won't shoot through the sheetrock, which anyone that has ever missed a backstop knows...air pistols will dammage sheetrock no problem.

acet

Need not be embarassed...

Post by acet »

...for some other people's ignorance. Most if not all Olympians are people having their dreams come true. If you don't dream, you'll never have a chance to live it.