Aquila Super Colibri for free pistol

old, good http://www.midcoast.com/~pilkguns/bbs/

Moderators: rexifelis, pilkguns

Keld Friberg Bojsen

Aquila Super Colibri for free pistol

Post by Keld Friberg Bojsen »

Hi There.
I've read af message from Michael concerning building a home range. Michael mentions, that he uses Aquila Super Colibri for his free pistol at his 10 meter home range.
Please tell me more.
TIA.
Keld
kboj-at-get2net.dk.48434.0
Bob LeDoux

Re: Aquila Super Colibri for free pistol

Post by Bob LeDoux »

I also found this interesting. Calaba's sells it in the USA for $20 per 500 rounds. The velocity is only 500 feet per second, reducing noise and backstop requirements.
Michael

Re: Aquila Super Colibri for free pistol

Post by Michael »

Hi Keld,
I just took up free pistol. I don't know why because air pistol is plenty tough for me. Anyway, I came across a used Pardini and made a trade. I wanted to get used to the feel of the gun, so I tried a box of Aguila Super Colibri that I had laying around. It has a 20 grain pointed bullet and shoots reportedly around 575 fps. out of a rifle barrel. There is no powder charge. The bullet is projected by use of priming compound only. It seems to be accurate at ten meters and doesn't harm my Nygord bullet trap. I'm about ready to try a brick of this stuff for practice at ten meters. You can get it from www.cole-distributing.com
Hi There.
: I've read af message from Michael concerning building a home range. Michael mentions, that he uses Aquila Super Colibri for his free pistol at his 10 meter home range.
: Please tell me more.
: TIA.
: Keld

Jim P.

Make Sure you have good ventilation...and

Post by Jim P. »

My TOZ didn't like them...they weren't as accurate as I had hoped.
But this must be what they are for: as they say don't use in rifles and won't cycle a semi-auto...What is left? But Free pistol.
Don't know what is in the primer...chemistry wise.
I found the IZH-46 set for a very light trigger pull a lot cleaner and safer for Free Pistol practice in my garage.
Just one data point.
Jim P.
Michael

Aguila Super Colibri & FP Practice

Post by Michael »

I haven't noticed any noxious fumes from the primers and no noticeable smoke. I haven't been shooting many shots at a session, only ten or twenty. As for accuracy, when I call a ten I get a ten on the air pistol target at ten meters. I think that it is more interesting than dry firing my free pistol and that is the only other option during this ice storm in my neck of the woods today. My air and free pistols are really different in feel and trigger release. I suppose that I could reset the weight on my Morini 162EI to simulate a light FP trigger, but I'd rather leave it alone.
: My TOZ didn't like them...they weren't as accurate as I had hoped.
: But this must be what they are for: as they say don't use in rifles and won't cycle a semi-auto...What is left? But Free pistol.
: Don't know what is in the primer...chemistry wise.
: I found the IZH-46 set for a very light trigger pull a lot cleaner and safer for Free Pistol practice in my garage.
: Just one data point.
: Jim P.

Len

It's not the smell, it's the lead

Post by Len »

it's primer compound ignigting against the lead that will put lead into the air. You won't "smell" the lead but it can cause problems.
Really this is an "urban" round for pest control and if it work in your target gun, more power to you...that's sort of neat.
They really shouldn't be used in rifles because they may act like a squib load and stop in the barrel. They are great training rounds for youth and I think were used really as a very cheap training round for the Mexican Police. They are very effective in revolvers for giving good practice.

Jim P.

Oh yes, Revolvers. Somehow slipped by me.

Post by Jim P. »

It alway "bugged" me as to what the common usage of these rounds was. I mean the local gun store seems to sell a lot of them. I just figured it was people using them in rifles...against the suggestions. I figure I'm one of a very few people that shops there that knows what a "Free Pistol" (as we know it) is.
Revolvers. I just don't think about those. So it just slipped by.
Thanks,
I'm glad to hear they are accurate in some free pistols...maybe I got a bad lot.
Jim P.

Michael

Re: It's not the smell, it's the lead

Post by Michael »

I have researched this topic to a degree. Are you sure that the priming compound emits lead? If it does, do you think that this is really a cause for concern? I think that removing pellets from my trap probably is a much greater problem. I just make sure that I don't smoke, eat or do anything similar after exposure to lead dust until I wash.
: it's primer compound ignigting against the lead that will put lead into the air. You won't "smell" the lead but it can cause problems.
: Really this is an "urban" round for pest control and if it work in your target gun, more power to you...that's sort of neat.
: They really shouldn't be used in rifles because they may act like a squib load and stop in the barrel. They are great training rounds for youth and I think were used really as a very cheap training round for the Mexican Police. They are very effective in revolvers for giving good practice.

Michael

Re: Oh yes, Revolvers. Somehow slipped by me.

Post by Michael »

Why would a 20 grain, .22 caliber bullet traveling at 575 f.p.s. be more apt to stick in a rifle barrel than a .177 pellet traveling at the same speed in an air rifle? Could it be that someone is confusing the Colibri round which travels at 375 f.p.s. with the Super Colibri traveling at 575 f.p.s.?
: It alway "bugged" me as to what the common usage of these rounds was. I mean the local gun store seems to sell a lot of them. I just figured it was people using them in rifles...against the suggestions. I figure I'm one of a very few people that shops there that knows what a "Free Pistol" (as we know it) is.
: Revolvers. I just don't think about those. So it just slipped by.
: Thanks,
: I'm glad to hear they are accurate in some free pistols...maybe I got a bad lot.
: Jim P.

Len

Read the warning at the website

Post by Len »

Len

Not the primer but the primer in contact with the end of the

Post by Len »

I don't the primer itself emits lead, but the high temperature of the primer flashing on the lead end of the bullet will put lead vapor in the air.
Certainly I'm no "anti-lead" person but the reason out range has a scavange system isn't so much for the smoke from rounds but to scrub the vaporized lead from the air that is in that smoke.

fred

The Difference

Post by fred »

...but you bring up a point...20 grains .22 airgun shooting under 12 FPE is about the same so what's the difference?
: <aybe it's a lawyer thing.
The difference is in the shapes of the projectiles, and especially the amount of surface bearing against the bore. Airgun pellets are sub-bore size with only 2 small (bore-size) bearing surfaces; firearm bullets are slightly larger than bore size and bear against the bore their whole length = much greater friction.

frbauer-at-msn.com.48522.48512
Len

Yes and no

Post by Len »

If you use diablo pellet's that true...but there are MANY types of pellets that are not as such and still perform at or near the same speed/weight ratio. About the closest would be the old rabbit stoppers or the "flying trashcans" from a couple different companies. Or those round body pellets with the bb in the end.
I think it's a liability issue as I know many people (in fact looking at the website there are testimonials of the effectiveness of the SC's in rifles) that use them in rifles for backyard plinking.
I have found neither the colibri or the super colibri to be that accurate also I have no urban concerns as I live on a farm and my gunstore is next door.