What Power of Spoting Scope do you need for 10meter

old, good http://www.midcoast.com/~pilkguns/bbs/

Moderators: rexifelis, pilkguns

Sasha

What Power of Spoting Scope do you need for 10meter

Post by Sasha »

I want to get a spoting scope for 10 meter rifle and am not sure what the proper power would be?
GaryN

Re: What Power of Spoting Scope do you need for 10meter

Post by GaryN »

I use a very old 20x fixed power, and that seems be about right. You might be able to go down to 15x. I would not go higher than 20x.
One thing to be VERY careful to check is the minimum focus. Many scopes won't focus down to 10m. In fact sometimes I have to back out the eyepiece on my scope to get it to focus better.
Gary
Steve Maly

Post by Steve Maly »

Not only do you need to be careful of the minimum focus (as the previous reply stated), but you cannot use spotting scopes at ISSF competitions. If you want to decide on what power you want, look at a fired target and hold it at a distance you feel comfortable with what you see. Get someone to measure the distance from the target to your eyes. Divide 10m by the measured distance. The result is the power you want. For instance, I like the appearance of the target at about 25cm; 1000cm (10m) divided by 25cm is 40 power. I used to use a 40 power scope for quick feedback when shooting. Now I just use a SCATT device.

smaly-at-kes.ns.ca.48330.48321
Mark.

Post by Mark. »

For 10m practice in the basement I use an 8x21mm monocular tied to the top of a tabletop tripod with an elastic band. It's plenty good enough and dirt cheap. Sure, I can't tell if I've hit the 10-dot or just barely grazed it, but if you're using a spotting scope then you're likely only shooting for grouping rather than absolute score. A monocular or a pair of cheap compact binoculars will do the job and leave you lots of money to buy pellets.
Keep in mind that at matches you'll be using returning targets or electronic targets, so a scope won't be necessary there.

Mark.

TJ

Post by TJ »

I found that the 10x zoom on my video camera works great. When I am at home I can hook it directly to my TV and just look at the TV after each shot.
Gotta have good light though.
:
: I want to get a spoting scope for 10 meter rifle and am not sure what the proper power would be?

shootingsports-at-ev1.net.48342.48321
GaryN

Post by GaryN »

A TV, man that is a lot easier than looking thru a scope. Wonder if I can find a cheap used camera and TV.
Gary
Jay V

Post by Jay V »

:
: I want to get a spoting scope for 10 meter rifle and am not sure what the proper power would be?

Our club has 12x36 50mm 45-degree scopes that work well for 10M multi-bull targets. 20X is good for a single-power scope.
As GaryN said below, be careful about minimum focus distance. Eye relief is also a consideration. A 45-degree eyepiece is handy to have for position shooting. We have older (2 years) BSA scopes that are very good, but BSA changed its 12x36 50mm and now it's junk - poor optics and no longer focuses to 10M (not even 50ft). Older models focus on the eyepiece, newer models focus on the barrel.
Pilkington has a small 12x36 45-degree, as does Champion's Choice. The current model from CC does not have a movable mounting ring, which is a pain. Newer models are supposed to have it - so ask if you are planning to order.

Jay Vergenz
IL
www.aiac-airguns.org

jverg-at-att.net.48346.48321
pdeal

Post by pdeal »

That is what I have set up. I have a cheap tv camera set up near the target and a monitor where i shoot- electronic scoring on a budget. I would estimate if you shop on ebay for the parts you could set up a system like this for well under $100 and maybe closer to $50.
pdeal-at-mylanlabs.com.48350.48345
DaveS

Post by DaveS »

Hi Gary.
I don't know if you're in the States, but try looking for one of those inexpensive camera/monitor combinations based on one of those little,plastic B&W television chassis. They sell about $45 USD for a set. They are also sold as baby room monitors. Cheap cameras are not all alike. Some have pin hole lenses and no focusing. Those won't work close up on a target. The older setups are going pretty cheap as the newer ones have a built-in IR source for dark vision. Those type are generally pinhole type and won't work either. This combo works pretty great if you have a basement or somewhere where you can string the cable. I used this setup for a while, but because of the cables, went back to a Kowa TS-501 that's on a C clamp on a door. Nice scope for 10m, but if I had to do it again, I'd opt for the fixed 40mm ocular. That would give a tight image of the black with brighter optics and probably a bit higher eyepoint for shooting glasses.
dfs
: A TV, man that is a lot easier than looking thru a scope. Wonder if I can find a cheap used camera and TV.
: Gary