IZH-46M accuracy vs. Top-of-the-Line CA

old, good http://www.midcoast.com/~pilkguns/bbs/

Moderators: rexifelis, pilkguns

Scott

IZH-46M accuracy vs. Top-of-the-Line CA

Post by Scott »

Just interested in the experience of others regarding accuracy of these. The elite competition shooters may chuckle at the comparison, while the less passionate may claim there’s little difference (at least to the mere mortals). Excluding the cost, and apart from the psychology of owning a fine piece of shooting equipment like a Steyr LP10, would someone of average shooting skills, who enjoys shooting mostly at home, and who doesn’t aspire to become a top competition shooter, be able to tell the difference? Do most eventually upgrade anyway?
Scott
Bill177

Re: IZH-46M accuracy vs. Top-of-the-Line CA

Post by Bill177 »

I upgraded to a new TAU-7, then to a very nice used Pardini K60 Co2 pistol (over a period of about 18 months). My reasons:
The IZH-46M was nose heavy and hurt my wrist after 50 or 60 shots.
The grips on the IZH are nothing to write home about, but a Dremel Tool can and did wonders for the problem.
Using Co2 in capsule form was a nice change from a SSP (single stroke pnuematic). I later went for bulk fill. The TAU-7 is a very capable gun and will outshoot most users, myself included. It's grips and trigger are very good - a great improvement over the IZH.
My most recent purchase is the K60. It has the Morini grips - need I say more about the grips? I installed a Nygord Turbo-Comp. There is no movement upon firing. The trigger is excellent. I get about 80-90 shots per fill and have an extra screw-on Co2 tank.
I am now in the market for a reasonably priced K58 (the SSP sister to the K60). This will afford me the option of just taking the gun and pellets to shoot with (no Co2, CA, etc.). Something that the IZH also offers.
There are a lot of choices out there for moving up in the pistol choice. Myself, I am probably as far up the ladder as I will go. I know I am not going to get to the point where the K60 is costing me points.
Go here and look at some very nice used pistols.
http://www.pilkguns.com/usedguns.htm
Bill
bill177-at-airguninfo.com.48287.48284
Len

Post by Len »

I am not expert, just a general shooter but I will give you the skinny on what I have found.
I have the 46 and the 46m. I find the 46 to be a bit more pleasant to shoot as it's heavy in the right spots for me. The 46m is too nose heavy.
I have a bunch of different match pistols and I really like my FWB pistols.
I had a 65 in a couple veriations (including the copies), nice gun really good trigger...but heavy and spring pistol...46 is a better shooter for me.
I had a C02 FWB I can't really remember the number but it had a Co2 tank on the bottom that was fairly large. I think I was getting like 130 shots out of that weird little tank but it was a mess to fill and I really don't like C02, so I ditched it.
I have a 103 single stroke and a 34. The biggest differences to me between both of them and the 46 is the trigger and the grips. Weight and ballance is much different too but I can really feel the difference in the subtle trigger of the FWB's and the grips are beyond reason when it comes to comparing them to the IZH.
I would say overall there is a gulf's distance of difference between the 46 and my "match pistols", the least of which is NOT the pyscological difference BUT I'm sticking with shooting the 46. When I feel that my scores have topped out, I'll switch to the 103...I just fancy the self contained nature of the single stroke, and maybe to the 34. I have all the needed hookups including a couple carbon fiber tanks but I normally reserve their use for the rifles.
I would bet that if you stick with it you will end up buying up, if even a used gun... most people that have commited $250 for an "airgun" can't help but seek out the next one...when the air is in your blood, it's in your blood...there is no turing back.

Mack

Post by Mack »

I started with an IZH46M and used it for about 2 years. I upgraded to a Steyr LP10 about a year and a half ago. My scores have not improved at all. I admit to being a hacker, but still, my scores have not improved. Now that doesn't say anything about my enjoying the LP10. I love it.
The statement posted may times is really true. You can't buy points. Enjoy the izzy, it is really a excellent shooter.

Bob LeDoux

Post by Bob LeDoux »

I shoot the original IZH46, not the "M", FWB P34 and the Morini 162EI.
I found the IZH46 very accurate--certainly meeting the requirements of consistency for pistol shooting. Its weak point is the trigger, which isn't up to the caliber of the more expensive guns, but its not bad.
My tests showed the velocity from the '46 to be more consistent than the compressed air guns. Perhaps the single pump guns share this trait. But the standard deviations are so small, for any of the guns, that this wouldn't show in scores.
The effort to pump a gun may or may not contribute to fatigue in the course of a match. Its worth considering.
My original 46 has a fairly low velocity. So I drink a cup of coffee while the pellet is traveling to the target :). But the shots are very consistent.
For what it's worth.
Roland Cannon

Great Question

Post by Roland Cannon »

I asked myself the same question when I bought my Steyr. I really hated to spend 1000.00 on a new airpistol when I needed a new motocross bike.
I thought about it for several weeks before ordering the gun. The IZH was plenty good, but once you own the Steyr, the equipment question goes away forever. Standing on the line you KNOW the equipment is not the weak link. With a lower quality gun, that mental cop-out is always available.
David Chouinard

Post by David Chouinard »

: Shot my 46M last night, no its not a top dollar AP, but will shoot 550/560's (at least when I wasn't in a match) just takes more work (time) to do it then I bought two big dollar AP had nothing but problems althought even though onbly an AP shooter for a few months I beat my 46M scores if I could keep them together. my K11 for in 550's and my LP10P was just in the 560's , I was having FUN shooting. Been serioult considering buying and top dollar AP. ps I couldn't hit nada last night but sure could till the muzzle flip upon shooting the 46. That LP10P doesn't move, only me. Regards David
sd60x-at-aol.com.48316.48284
Jim P.

Have you had your trigger adjusted? IZH is world class.

Post by Jim P. »

"Its weak point is the trigger, which isn't up to the caliber of the more expensive guns, but its not bad."
The IZH trigger is a fine design (Actual two stage trigger, four levers and it releases the valve) and should be adjustable to any shooters taste. (I have mine adjusted to duplicate the light trigger on my TOZ-35)
IMHO as an engineer and shooter it is a better trigger than found on my LP1 (which because of its design can only be a "roll over" trigger (Pusedo two stage, the sear doesn't move on the first stage,three lever and it releases a spring loaded "hammer.")
Reference the 10P files,
The IZH-46 may have some limits but the trigger is not one of them.
Jim P.

Chris L in NC

LP10 is for the long term

Post by Chris L in NC »

: Just interested in the experience of others regarding accuracy of these. The elite competition shooters may chuckle at the comparison, while the less passionate may claim there’s little difference (at least to the mere mortals). Excluding the cost, and apart from the psychology of owning a fine piece of shooting equipment like a Steyr LP10, would someone of average shooting skills, who enjoys shooting mostly at home, and who doesn’t aspire to become a top competition shooter, be able to tell the difference? Do most eventually upgrade anyway?
: Scott
I started with an IZH-46 and enjoyed some beginner's luck in a PTO. I moved up to the LP10 last year and didn't do too well score-wise in the Fall Selection but learned a tremendous lot.
The IZH is a very good pistol. The trigger is fantastic and it groups as well from a clamp as any of the big-bucks pistols. The grip it comes with is really more of a grip blank and after a few months, when you know what you want, a Dremel will make it yours.
But the IZH stays in the box and the LP10 is always in play now. For one thing, note that nobody in a World Cup shoots IZHs anymore, and they can have anything they want, so I'm doing as the Romans do. For another, the LP10 grip extends under the heel of the hand, allowing for better support, while the IZH grip depends more on muscle, and you really can't fix that because any further extension of the IZH grip heel means it won't fit in the measuring box.
The LP10 has a number of little advantages that add up. I'm not convinced that the near-recoillessness is a critical advantage, but the many little adjustments add up. You can move the grip around quite a bit, change the sight radius, open or close the rear notch, put on 10-gram weights and move them the length of the barrel, and adjust both stages of the trigger until YOUR LP10 is exactly the way YOU need it, that is, when the trigger breaks the sight alignment does not change. I really liked the grip rake adjustment that helps me hold on a target 140cm off the ground very naturally.
The only real beef I have is the "improved" trigger shoe that's just too far forward no matter how much I train, so it's time to get the old LP1 shoe.
chrisatty-at-hotmail.com.48542.48284
Norm

Post by Norm »

Accuracy really isn't a factor. Any of the pistols that anyone's mentioned will hold X-ring all day long. It's ergonomics that really matters. People that complain about the IZH's grip don't seem to realize that your IZH grip comes in a shipping crate that's attached to the frame. You have to whittle, grind, sand off the shipping crate to find your grip inside.
Being able to twist a knob to vary the sight notch may be nice, but I'd bet that once the favorite notch is found, it's rarely changed. The Izzy's different sight blades work just fine for me. I really love leaving a string of $1000+ air pistols in the dust.
nglitz-at-optonline.net.48730.48284