S &W .32 Target revolver

old, good http://www.midcoast.com/~pilkguns/bbs/

Moderators: rexifelis, pilkguns

Alex

S &W .32 Target revolver

Post by Alex »

During the 1980's S & W made a .32 revolver similar to the Model 14Target revolver. I believe it was also made in Stainless Steel.
Does anyone own one, or has used one for an ISSF Centre Fire competition?
If so, what sort of load do you use for 25metre?
Is it a single, or double action revolver?
lizlace-at-bigpond.com.48267.0
ab

Re: S &W .32 Target revolver

Post by ab »

I've never seen or heard of one in stainless.
It's the model 16, they are still quite popular here in Australia. Use they same loads you would use in any 32 target pistol. I was testing a 32 manuhrin & 32 pardini last week with different loads, there is about 25 fps difference between the two different barrell lengths, but for 25m nearly every load I tested was x-ring groups.
I think 50m would be a little harder.

David M

Post by David M »

The Model 16 is in .32 mag (not 32 long), it is OK for the club level shooter but is not up to the level of a Manurhin or a modified Toz.
The very old Smith is the Model 14 Masterpiece in .32 Long (most are .38 Special), both were single action only.
I have only ever seen one,and never seen one for sale, they are now collectors items and could be very expensive.
Bill Abernethy

Post by Bill Abernethy »

Smith made the K-32 (after 1957 called the Model 16, 16-1, -2,-3) from before WWII until the early 1970's. Only about 3300 were ever made and they are rare collectors' items. These were chambered for 32S&W Long. In the early 1990's the company brought out the 16-4, chambered for 32 H&R mag. It had the horrible underlug that disfigures so many modern Smith revolvers. Even the 16-4 is somewhat hard to find now (they were only in production for a couple years).
The Model 14 in all its many variations is the .38 Special version (the Model 17 is the .22). They are common and you could buy about 5 of them for what you'd pay for an old K-32.
I believe there is a Russian .32 revolver chambered for .32 S&W Long that might be suitable for CF--Don Nygord once told me it might be possible to import one, and I'd think that other dealers might know something about this as well. I'd be interested!
Best,
Bill

bill-at-wccnet.org.48334.48311
David M

Toz 36 & 49

Post by David M »

The Russian revolvers are the Toz 36 (7.62 Nugant long) and Toz 49 (7.62 Nugant short). Some of the Toz 49's have been converted to .32 S&W Long by gunsmiths.
Lee Fisher

Post by Lee Fisher »

I had one of the newer model 16's in 32 mag that I hoped to turn into a super center fire gun but couldn't get it to shoot with my 32 S&W LWC handloads. These same loads shoot great in all the semi-autos I've tried, so I decided it was the 32 mag chambers. You might go for a K38/model 14 - they're great CF guns!

hlf_jr-at-hotmail.com.48369.48311
Fortitudo Dei

Re: Toz 36 & 49

Post by Fortitudo Dei »

: The Russian revolvers are the Toz 36 (7.62 Nugant long) and Toz 49 (7.62 Nugant short). Some of the Toz 49's have been converted to .32 S&W Long by gunsmiths.

There was also apparently a TOZ 96 which was the same revolver chambered in .32 S&W L. However it was only ever released as a "teaser" and never went into full production (happy to be corrected on this). Frankonia in Germany (the main distributor of TOZ stuff into Europe) were sent a couple of examples, advertised them in their legendary catalogue, but full supply from the factory never arrived.
Apparently the conversion from the 7.62 Nagant to .32 is relatively easy and was a popular thing to do in Australia which probably has more examples of the TOZ 49 than any other country outside of the former Eastern Block (mine was ex Australia).
I think Frankonia may still have the TOZ 49 for sale in their catalogue. You can order a copy (probably the most amazing quality firearms / outdoor gear catalogue in the world - seriously) via www.frankonia.de
Don't worry about the German - it's easy enough to work out (or use an automated on-line translator), but remember that the mail order of firearms into the US direct to individuals is legally difficult. It's still worth getting the catalogue for drooling purposes though.