Shooting "over" the front sight

old, good http://www.midcoast.com/~pilkguns/bbs/

Moderators: rexifelis, pilkguns

Len

Shooting "over" the front sight

Post by Len »

recently I've been plaing with shooting over the front sight of my IZH46. (all the talk about the IZH made me pull it out again.
I bracket the target with the rear sightand keep a very low front sight just touching at 6 o'clock.
Just something to fiddle with.
Alexey

Re: Shooting "over" the front sight

Post by Alexey »

: I bracket the target with the rear sightand keep a very low front sight just touching at 6 o'clock.
: Just something to fiddle with.
No, it is not. As a matter of fact, in the shooting sport there is little or nothing to fiddle with.
Best regards, Alexey
alexey931-at-list.ru.48177.48141
Bubba

Been there done that

Post by Bubba »

: recently I've been plaing with shooting over the front sight of my IZH46. (all the talk about the IZH made me pull it out again.
: I bracket the target with the rear sightand keep a very low front sight just touching at 6 o'clock.
I fiddled with that sight picture. I think that it is kin to the Kentucky windage that some of us used to use, where the top of the front sight was placed up, down, left or right within the rear sight, based on the distance and windage. I used this method as a ute, with my Mailin/Glenfield single shot .22 rifle. Figgered that scopes and fancy sights were for sissies, and besides that they couldn't possibly find a moving target lookin through a scope. Time and experience has proven me wrong about the sights. Except the Kentucky Windage. Still useful for out of doors shooting/plinking, silouette.
OK, the sight experiment (fiddeling around works too) did not last long. This carbon based humanoid life form that we inhabit on this planet, just will not become as steady as is needed for the sight picture we both fiddled with. Unless you add the support of something solid, concrete, wood or stone is good.
It may be that you came about this hold because the IZH is a little nose heavy. Naturally pulls front sight down (damned gravity).
I would opine that the sight picture mentioned above will not work for you for very long, and should probably be abandoned as soon as you see that it is not useful, if you want to shoot 10 m pistol. However, as I ddo not know it all (far from it) I leave it to you to choose a sight picture, and welcome your fiddeling about, and comments on the results.
I am very close to believing that the center of the blank space below the black on the 10 m pistol target may be the place to aim. I am also certain that the computer has replaced the Big Chief tablet and a #2 lead pencil as a methof of communication and record keeping.
I remain,
Respectfully,
Bubba

DanielHankiins-at-wmconnect.com.48188.48141