Walther LG300 Junior

old, good http://www.midcoast.com/~pilkguns/bbs/

Moderators: rexifelis, pilkguns

Matt

Walther LG300 Junior

Post by Matt »

A junior shooter in the club I coach just received a new Walther LG300 Junior air rifle from the CMP last week. One problem we're having is that it appears that it is not possible to mount the rear sight at any point other than the extreme rear of the action, otherwise the sight gets in the way of the operating handle for the bolt. I think the junior version comes with a different sight than the full-sized LG300, but still, either we are missing something or the sight was not designed to accommodate this action and/or vice- versa. The only fix I see so far is to modify the handle to have clearance for the sight. Anyone else out there have experience with this situation?
Also, the rifle came with spacers to increase the legnth of pull, but the machine screws which hold the butt-plate and spacers are only long enough to hold the butt-plate on by itself, without any extra spacers. Any ideas on who might sell longer screws?
Thanks for your help.
bsw39-at-yahoo.com.48080.0
Katy

Re: Walther LG300 Junior

Post by Katy »

I buy all my gun screws at lowes, just take measurements on the thickness of the screw and the length you would need
: A junior shooter in the club I coach just received a new Walther LG300 Junior air rifle from the CMP last week. One problem we're having is that it appears that it is not possible to mount the rear sight at any point other than the extreme rear of the action, otherwise the sight gets in the way of the operating handle for the bolt. I think the junior version comes with a different sight than the full-sized LG300, but still, either we are missing something or the sight was not designed to accommodate this action and/or vice- versa. The only fix I see so far is to modify the handle to have clearance for the sight. Anyone else out there have experience with this situation?
: Also, the rifle came with spacers to increase the legnth of pull, but the machine screws which hold the butt-plate and spacers are only long enough to hold the butt-plate on by itself, without any extra spacers. Any ideas on who might sell longer screws?
: Thanks for your help.

Larry Sawyer

Post by Larry Sawyer »

Yeah, we found the exact same thing. I suspect Walther chose to ignore those issues in the name of coming in low enough on price to get the contract. Modifying the "bolt handle" or cocking lever appears to be the only option, short of another sight.
As for the screws, I'm assuming they're metric, and you'll want them fairly long, so you might have trouble finding them over the counter; but any good hardware store should be able to order them if they don't have them in stock. I've even had one local specialty nut & bolt supply house give them to me becuase it was easier than writing up a city desk order for the $8.00 minimum!
Just goes to show, it never hurts to ask!
Larry
Rifleman-at-tcinternet.net.48092.48080
pdeal

Post by pdeal »

Another source I have used for metric screws is Reid Tool (www.reidtool.com). Metric fasteners can be hard to find locally and many mail order places want to sell you a box of them. Reid has a good selection and sells individual screws. They have a nice printed catalog too.
pdeal-at-mylanlabs.com.48100.48089
Len

it's a pain

Post by Len »

They sell a rifle and sight system that has no real hope of working together, and give you the worst set of screws possible.

I went to Home Depot and matched the screws and bought longer ones. You can buy the screws one at a time in the little bins they have in the "hardware" department.
You have to modify the cocking lever if you want that sight to fit, or buy an aftermarket sight.
I think somebody put a riser on the back, and the front then slid the riser all the way back and slid the rear sight a bit foreard but that's overly complicated...and I don't remember if it worked ok for them.

Matt

Post by Matt »

Thank you all for your replies. I guess we'll be going to one of the local home labyrinths this week to find some screws.
Somewhat dissappointing that Walther would allow a rifle to be sold with the obvious mismatch between the sight and action, as well as the short stock screws.

bsw39-at-yahoo.com.48119.48080