LP10 barrel assembly on a LP1 receiver

old, good http://www.midcoast.com/~pilkguns/bbs/

Moderators: rexifelis, pilkguns

wai

LP10 barrel assembly on a LP1 receiver

Post by wai »

I saw someone at the range with a LP1 that is fitted with the barrel assembly of a LP10 i.e. with a LP10 compensator and a LP10 barrel. He claims that this provide the advantage of the barrel porting of the LP10 with the smoother trigger mechanism of the LP1.
Is this modification safe ? I wonder whether fitting of the LP10 barrel on the LP1 receiver is going to give way due to slight different in the two model ?

u4pop-at-yahoo.com.48068.0
Sepp Schuster

Re: LP10 barrel assembly on a LP1 receiver

Post by Sepp Schuster »

I strongly disapproved of any drastic modification to the 2 Steyr pistols. I am a gunsmith by profession.
Air pistols have precision mechanisms and they are designed and made with the best compromise of accuracy, mechanical functions and most important, SAFETY.
LP 1 and LP 10 both have their good characteristics and swopping parts between them with the intention of getting the best of both worlds is a very silly and dangerous thing to do. The engineers and designers at Steyr would have come out with such a prototype of mixed parts long ago, that is if the prototype is safe for public usage.
The so-called mixed LP1/10 may seems to works well initially. But it may and surely will, one day, malfunction or worse, misfire during an important match.
NEVER COMPROMISE SAFETY.
Please never attempt such silly alternations without proper profession advise. Anyway, Steyr will never extend the warranties of both the LP1 and LP 10 if both pistols are damaged in the process of such alternations. We gunsmiths know when and how these pistols are altered and damaged.
S. Schuster

: I saw someone at the range with a LP1 that is fitted with the barrel assembly of a LP10 i.e. with a LP10 compensator and a LP10 barrel. He claims that this provide the advantage of the barrel porting of the LP10 with the smoother trigger mechanism of the LP1.
: Is this modification safe ? I wonder whether fitting of the LP10 barrel on the LP1 receiver is going to give way due to slight different in the two model ?

pilkguns

Post by pilkguns »

with regards to Mr. Schuster, but I have to disagree, I don't see any problem in either function or warranty violation in putting a LP10 barrel assembly on a LP1.
Altough I don't see any real advantage or purpose to it either...

: I saw someone at the range with a LP1 that is fitted with the barrel assembly of a LP10 i.e. with a LP10 compensator and a LP10 barrel. He claims that this provide the advantage of the barrel porting of the LP10 with the smoother trigger mechanism of the LP1.
: Is this modification safe ? I wonder whether fitting of the LP10 barrel on the LP1 receiver is going to give way due to slight different in the two model ?

Christopher

Post by Christopher »

Upon careful inspection, one would notice that the entire LP1/10 barrle assemblies are held in place with just two screws in the receiver.
I wonder...what danger or damage could there be by swapping the barrles/shrouds of the two pistols if their dimensions (of the fixing point, in this case, the two screws) are exactly the same, and that swap does not involve the complex springs and valves or any other internal parts?
Please note, my post is not intended to disparage or diminish the importance of technical and mechanical safety where ANY shooting instrument is concerned, nor is it designed to undermine the importance and purpose of professional gunsmiths.