Quota slots for Athens

old, good http://www.midcoast.com/~pilkguns/bbs/

Moderators: rexifelis, pilkguns

Paul Benneche

Quota slots for Athens

Post by Paul Benneche »

According to the ISSF website the US is still nine (9) quota slots short as follows: both slots (2) in women's air pistol, men's free pistol and rapid fire pistol; one slot in women's double trap, skeet, and trap. Does the US have any additional chances to fill these slots before the Olympics?
peb-at-virginia.edu.48024.0
BM

Re: Quota slots for Athens

Post by BM »

Wildcards?

bmcasual-at-hotmail.com.48026.48024
Paul Benneche

Post by Paul Benneche »

I have been lead to believe that the ISSF would not consider the US for any wildcards. Can't remember where I saw this, or who may have told me.

peb-at-virginia.edu.48028.48026
JP O'Connor

Post by JP O'Connor »

: According to the ISSF website the US is still nine (9) quota slots short as follows: both slots (2) in women's air pistol, men's free pistol and rapid fire pistol; one slot in women's double trap, skeet, and trap. Does the US have any additional chances to fill these slots before the Olympics?

---
The USA has no additional opportunities to attempt to earn quota slots. There are some folks already at work in an attempt to see that a repeat of this does not take place 4 years from now.
We are very unlikely to be awarded any wildcard slots. It 's not impossible, but not likely. I think that 4 years ago, we were awarded a wildcard due to the strength of our women's rifle performances. (Including setting a new team world record in the 3x20, only to see the Chinese team break it a few minutes later.) Accordingly, even though they were free to use the wildcard any way they wanted, USA Shooting chose to use it in one of the women's rifle events. I could be wrong on the details here... hope not!
Bottom line is, we have work to do for 2008! But first, there is considerable work remaining for 2004... completion of selections of the Olympic team and final preparations for the Olympics.
"Feel Center!"
-JP

jpoc-at-acm.org.48058.48024
Bob

Post by Bob »

: According to the ISSF website the US is still nine (9) quota slots short as follows: both slots (2) in women's air pistol, men's free pistol and rapid fire pistol; one slot in women's double trap, skeet, and trap. Does the US have any additional chances to fill these slots before the Olympics?
The US shooters have earned all possible slots in rifle, running target and shotgun and 4 out of 10 pistol. Not sure why the ISSF is slow???

Bob

Post by Bob »

p.s. Only one slot per country is available in the 3 women's shotgun events

Richard

Post by Richard »

Remember that those who go can shoot in another event as long as they have an MQS in that event.

Paul Benneche

Post by Paul Benneche »

: p.s. Only one slot per country is available in the 3 women's shotgun events
Thanks, I did not know that. Thus, we are only short the 6 pistol slots.

peb-at-virginia.edu.48090.48063
mako

Post by mako »

Wildcards often go to smaller countries ... the Olympic Committee doesn't want the "Big" countries to completely dominate the Olympics ... thus you sometimes get gross mismatches ... but there are some decent individual shooters from some of the smaller countries. Interestingly enough ... some of the smaller countries support their star shooters better then we do. The Thai Sports Federation gives a shooter that places say 2nd in a World Cup, $20,000/year. A princely sum in Thailand ...
makofoto-at-earthlink.net.48093.48058
David Levene

Post by David Levene »

: : p.s. Only one slot per country is available in the 3 women's shotgun events
: Thanks, I did not know that. Thus, we are only short the 6 pistol slots.
Full details of the quota place system are available at the link below.
dalevene-at-blueyonder.co.uk.48095.48090