Dihydrogen Oxide Warning

old, good http://www.midcoast.com/~pilkguns/bbs/

Moderators: rexifelis, pilkguns

OSHA

Dihydrogen Oxide Warning

Post by OSHA »

Menbers of this board,
It has come to our attention recently that there is a dangerous compound commonly used by individuals in the shooting community. This compound has killed more people than any other known element or compound. Further, instances have been sited where this compound has caused enviornmental catastrophy.
Legislation is pending concerning the use of dihydrogen oxide. In an effort to comply with the coming National standards, please discontinue its use.
Medical evaluation. Acute Dihydrogen oxide poisoning may manifest itself in the following ways: dizzyness, swollen extremities, choking, vomiting, micronutrient definiency, excessive urination, white blotches on the exposed skin area, cracking skin, sweating and death.
Individuals coming in contact with dihydrogen oxide should evaluate the risk factors and mitigate if possible.
RJP

Re: Dihydrogen Oxide Warning

Post by RJP »

This is way off topic.
Mark.

Re: Dihydrogen Oxide Warning

Post by Mark. »

: It has come to our attention recently that there is a dangerous compound commonly used by individuals in the shooting community:
This is all well and good, but what good is a warning of this nature without telling us (non-chemists) where we find this compound? Is it in ammunition, cleaning solvents, or drink mix?
Also, if my very old and very poor chemistry class serves me at all, isn't that just plain old H2O? Geez, it's not even April Fool's...
M. Wettfruend, Dpleng

Considering...

Post by M. Wettfruend, Dpleng »

That there was a lot of bandwidth concerning lead poisoning, I found this post to be just the perfect level of non-subtle sarcasm about chemical paranoia. I think the point was that everything in a high enough dose will kill you!

Len

It's water

Post by Len »

duh!
Jeff

Re: Considering...

Post by Jeff »

: That there was a lot of bandwidth concerning lead poisoning, I found this post to be just the perfect level of non-subtle sarcasm about chemical paranoia. I think the point was that everything in a high enough dose will kill you!

jwolverton-at-hotmail.com.48016.48007
Jeff

Re: Considering...

Post by Jeff »

Actually, it IS a good example of what's going the unwritten rules on this board: you can't ask a serious question without getting ridiculed. Stick to viewpoints everyone already agrees on.
: I think the point was that everything in a high enough dose will kill you!
Thanks, Doc. Guess the lesson is "nothing's really worse than anything else for you, it's all hype." Ignore facts, don't bother looking for research, just stick with the good ol' "I already know all I needs ta know about evruhthing" viewpoint. (Can you BELIEVE those damn environmentalists made the hatmakers stop using mercury earlier in the century?)
jwolverton-at-hotmail.com.48017.48007
Jeff

Trotting out the old "Dihydrogen Oxide" joke is kinda...

Post by Jeff »

...going a little far just to make fun of one guy, isn't it?
jwolverton-at-hotmail.com.48020.47997
akihmsa

Re: Trotting out the old "Dihydrogen Oxide" joke is kinda...

Post by akihmsa »

Jeff you are being a little hypersensitive. The reaction you got was due to how you asked your question on lead. Had you just asked "Does anyone know of any credible studies done on lead toxicity problems and airguns?" you would have gotten a less sarcastic response. : ...going a little far just to make fun of one guy, isn't it?

Jeff

Post by Jeff »

: Jeff you are being a little hypersensitive. The reaction you got was due to how you asked your question on lead. Had you just asked "Does anyone know of any credible studies done on lead toxicity problems and airguns?" you would have gotten a less sarcastic response.
Actually, I just asked "Anyone know of drawbacks to lead-free pellets for 10M air pistol shooting?" [Specifically with ref to an IZH-46M.]
Which seems an even LESS inflammatory question. Yet in response (no one even actually had an answer) I got criticism, sarcasm, veiled insults (stick to airsoft!), and even suspected of being an anti-gunner with a hidden agenda. That was the response by people on this board to the question above. (Yet *I'M* the hypersensitive one?)

jwolverton-at-hotmail.com.48023.48021
akihmsa

Post by akihmsa »

Yup you are ;~) Jeff
The drawbacks of lead free were told to you, inaccuracy. You continue to fuel the "dangers" of using lead. Actually I think it is great because these arguements come up from time to time and the better the airgun shooting community is at dealing with them the more locations we end up with to shoot indoors. There is good info to be found in debate. I intend on putting this into my risk management plan that I use for my 4-H program. If anyone is concerned I suggest they have their blood tested prior to taking up airgunning and then annually thereafter until their fears are calmed. I will put a statement in my club application that covers this. I have no doubt that the statement alone will deter some parents from joining in, but that is ok too.
Thanks for being the stimulus of a lot of information being passed ;~): : Jeff you are being a little hypersensitive. The reaction you got was due to how you asked your question on lead. Had you just asked "Does anyone know of any credible studies done on lead toxicity problems and airguns?" you would have gotten a less sarcastic response.
: Actually, I just asked "Anyone know of drawbacks to lead-free pellets for 10M air pistol shooting?" [Specifically with ref to an IZH-46M.]
: Which seems an even LESS inflammatory question. Yet in response (no one even actually had an answer) I got criticism, sarcasm, veiled insults (stick to airsoft!), and even suspected of being an anti-gunner with a hidden agenda. That was the response by people on this board to the question above. (Yet *I'M* the hypersensitive one?)

Jeff

Re: Trotting out the old

Post by Jeff »

: Yup you are ;~) Jeff
: The drawbacks of lead free were told to you, inaccuracy.
They were? When? No one yet has said they've used lead-free pellets or posted a link to a review (the only two reviews I could find were one that said it was comparable and another that actually said it was slightly better accuracy.)
: You continue to fuel the "dangers" of using lead.
Please- I'm not "fueling" anything. You guys are all trying to read that into anything I say due to fears of the issue being used by anti-gunners. I don't care one way or the other, just figured if hey, there is a lead-free alternative and there's some possibility lead is bad, why not use it? (Unless it's too expensive or too inaccurate.) So far, no one's really responded to that-- have tests shown the lead-free pellets are less accurate? Is there a review out there? That's all I'm looking for.
jwolverton-at-hotmail.com.48030.48025
akihmsa

Post by akihmsa »

In this case you can answer your own question by simply buying alternative pellets and using them for practice in your home. I can't speak for the rest of the folks that use this site, but I don't find your quest all that compelling. Every reference you give keeps ending up at a greenie site or anti-lead site. It could be simply a coincidence perhaps, or you could be a anti-gun anti-lead kook. I really have no way of telling. I don't understand why you don't just practice with the lead-free pellets in your home since you seem so concerned. No one has told you not to use lead free pellets on this site. Go for it and relax. You laughed when I said practice with an AIR Soft gun. Practice with an air soft gun will be beneficial for muscle development, and trigger control so why not use it if lead is a concern. You have many options including getting yourself tested for lead in your blood. You can also do lead free practice with your IZZY by simply dry firing which is extremely beneficial. : Yup you are ;~) Jeff
: : The drawbacks of lead free were told to you, inaccuracy.
: They were? When? No one yet has said they've used lead-free pellets or posted a link to a review (the only two reviews I could find were one that said it was comparable and another that actually said it was slightly better accuracy.)
: : You continue to fuel the "dangers" of using lead.
: Please- I'm not "fueling" anything. You guys are all trying to read that into anything I say due to fears of the issue being used by anti-gunners. I don't care one way or the other, just figured if hey, there is a lead-free alternative and there's some possibility lead is bad, why not use it? (Unless it's too expensive or too inaccurate.) So far, no one's really responded to that-- have tests shown the lead-free pellets are less accurate? Is there a review out there? That's all I'm looking for. Test them for yourself Jeff they don't cost that much.

akihmsa

lots of sources for lead free pellets Jeff

Post by akihmsa »

I suggest you buy some and test thme to see if they are right for you ;~)
Good luck and let us know how they work out, us lead pellet users are dying to know!: Menbers of this board,
: It has come to our attention recently that there is a dangerous compound commonly used by individuals in the shooting community. This compound has killed more people than any other known element or compound. Further, instances have been sited where this compound has caused enviornmental catastrophy.
: Legislation is pending concerning the use of dihydrogen oxide. In an effort to comply with the coming National standards, please discontinue its use.
: Medical evaluation. Acute Dihydrogen oxide poisoning may manifest itself in the following ways: dizzyness, swollen extremities, choking, vomiting, micronutrient definiency, excessive urination, white blotches on the exposed skin area, cracking skin, sweating and death.
: Individuals coming in contact with dihydrogen oxide should evaluate the risk factors and mitigate if possible.

Jeff

Post by Jeff »

: In this case you can answer your own question by simply buying alternative pellets and using them for practice in your home.
Yes, that's exactly what I'm going to do: I just figured I'd ask here to see if one brand was better than another, in case anyone else had experience with them (isn't that common on this site?)
Hell, I picked an Izzy due to recommendations from this site, so figured this'd be the place to ask for other recommendations! Why is this so hard to understand?
: your quest all that compelling.
Quest?
: It could be simply a coincidence perhaps,
It's what popped up in the two searches I did. Honestly, I didn't know the sources were on one side or another, I really didn't spend that much time reading them.
: or you could be a anti-gun anti-lead kook.
Hilarious (and ironic, coming from the same people calling me paranoid.) A lot of anti-gun kooks compete with an IZH-46M?
: I don't understand why you don't just practice with the lead-free pellets in your home since you seem so concerned.
As I said, I will. Just thought I'd ask which lead-free pellet brand (I found two, thought you guys might know of others) was better in case anyone knew.

jwolverton-at-hotmail.com.48037.48034
Richard

Post by Richard »

Actually I think numerous times you were told they were no good but you kept coming back for more. What you were actually looking for is validation of your fears, and unfortunately this isn't a psychiatrist's couch. Like many posters have said if you are worried us an alternative, as you can see here there does not seem to be any concern amonst the participants of this board. Buy some and test them and use them, you may even be seen as a visionary after we all lose are minds to lead poisioning (but we probably won't remember you anyway). In all honesty I didn't think anyone treated you rudely, they may have made a little fun of you but...
Jeff

Post by Jeff »

: Actually I think numerous times you were told they were no good
I was? Where do you see anyone saying they tried them or read a review? I just see endless paranoia/anger at a question I DIDN'T ask (i.e, is this stuff bad or not wasn't my question.)
:but you kept coming back for more.
No, I responded to what they said (kind of like you're doing.)
: What you were actually looking for is validation of your fears
No, I was looking for EXACTLY what I asked!! (Note I only started ONE thread with a single question: any suggestions/experience with a certain type of pellets. Did you read my original question?) It's YOUR fears that some sinister antigun thing is at work that lead to all this crap I'm running into!
: In all honesty I didn't think anyone treated you rudely.
LOL

jwolverton-at-hotmail.com.48045.48041
Jeff

Let's drop this thing already

Post by Jeff »

I've long since got my answer (no one has experience with them or recommendation, so I'll just try a few brands.)
I withdraw the question. Let this thread end.
jwolverton-at-hotmail.com.48046.48045
akihmsa

Re: Let's drop this thing already

Post by akihmsa »

: I've long since got my answer (no one has experience with them or recommendation, so I'll just try a few brands.)
: I withdraw the question. Let this thread end.

akihmsa

Re: Let's drop this thing already

Post by akihmsa »

: I've long since got my answer (no one has experience with them or recommendation, so I'll just try a few brands.)
: I withdraw the question. Let this thread end.