Jeff --- re: lead pellets

old, good http://www.midcoast.com/~pilkguns/bbs/

Moderators: rexifelis, pilkguns

TCooper

Jeff --- re: lead pellets

Post by TCooper »

Jeff,
Are you satified with the answers regarding the safe use of lead airgun pellets? I just re-read all the threads and there seems to be an answer to your question.
First, there are no TARGET grade non-lead pellets. The prometheus are not worthy. The coated H&N pellets are still lead so they will splatter when shot at metal. I'm not even sure they offer the coating on the H&N Match pellets. If so, you have an option.
Second, the use of a silent pellet trap (duct seal) and proper hand washing will prevent you from problems. The article by Dr. Joe Matusic explains this procedure.
Third, there is absolutely no evidence to confirm the rumour that lead pellets produce vapourization or lead dust when they exit the barrel (at muzzle). ALL online articles refer to powder burner guns creating lead at the muzzle from primers and friction from the bullets. A pellet has very little contact with the bore because of the squeezed waist design (shuttlecock).
Forth, target velocity(350-600fps) pelletguns rarely require barrel cleaning. The odd bit of cleaning is after countless thousands of shots which might cause fouling from the factory lubed pellets and normal airborn non-lead dust. You would be surprised how little cleaning a target airgun needs. Powder burners always require cleaning because of lead smears in the bore and combustion fouling. This is not a problem with airguns at target velocities. No smears, no lead vapour.
Fifth, the posting below from KenJ is very good. Ken even went so far as to post his lead levels from his own tests. Please re-read Ken's two excellent posts at (copy paste to you address bar):
http://www.midcoast.com/~pilkguns/bbs/m ... 47875.html
and
http://www.midcoast.com/~pilkguns/bbs/m ... 47941.html
Everyone did a great job of keeping the information flowing on this topic. I learned a lot and I thank everyone. With questions like this there will always be some sarcasm and a bit of suspicion.
Thanks,
Todd

GRM

Re: Jeff --- re: lead pellets

Post by GRM »

Elemental Lead is not absorbed by the human body, as our doctor advised us following a "lead check up". Sulfate of lead, YES. Last time I checked, shooting lead did not cause this transformation We have cast bullets many many years, even as children cast lead soldiers, with minimal ventilation. 40+ years of exposure later, no problem. Normal, rudimentary hygiene of course is expected.
Just MHO.
GRM

: Jeff,
: Are you satified with the answers regarding the safe use of lead airgun pellets? I just re-read all the threads and there seems to be an answer to your question.
: First, there are no TARGET grade non-lead pellets. The prometheus are not worthy. The coated H&N pellets are still lead so they will splatter when shot at metal. I'm not even sure they offer the coating on the H&N Match pellets. If so, you have an option.
: Second, the use of a silent pellet trap (duct seal) and proper hand washing will prevent you from problems. The article by Dr. Joe Matusic explains this procedure.
: Third, there is absolutely no evidence to confirm the rumour that lead pellets produce vapourization or lead dust when they exit the barrel (at muzzle). ALL online articles refer to powder burner guns creating lead at the muzzle from primers and friction from the bullets. A pellet has very little contact with the bore because of the squeezed waist design (shuttlecock).
: Forth, target velocity(350-600fps) pelletguns rarely require barrel cleaning. The odd bit of cleaning is after countless thousands of shots which might cause fouling from the factory lubed pellets and normal airborn non-lead dust. You would be surprised how little cleaning a target airgun needs. Powder burners always require cleaning because of lead smears in the bore and combustion fouling. This is not a problem with airguns at target velocities. No smears, no lead vapour.
: Fifth, the posting below from KenJ is very good. Ken even went so far as to post his lead levels from his own tests. Please re-read Ken's two excellent posts at (copy paste to you address bar):
: http://www.midcoast.com/~pilkguns/bbs/m ... 47875.html
: and
: http://www.midcoast.com/~pilkguns/bbs/m ... 47941.html
: Everyone did a great job of keeping the information flowing on this topic. I learned a lot and I thank everyone. With questions like this there will always be some sarcasm and a bit of suspicion.
: Thanks,
: Todd
:

grm_daddyo-at-earthlink.net.47978.47970
Jeff

Post by Jeff »

Yes, finally got a lot of useful information-- I'm actually obviously in not only pellets but regular ammo (the "suspicious" folk seem to think I plan to limit my competing to only air pistol for the rest of my life!), although not as much. Thanks to all who gave actual info they had (and not just jibes or anecdotal evidence-- in other words: yes, I've drank alcohol to excess many times yet am still alive... but this DOESN'T mean doing that over the long term doesn't cause cirrhosis of the liver, heart disease, etc. It does, we learned that from studies.) So actual studies were what I was after. (Speaking of which-- I'd still be interested in your posting your lead level when you get tested in Feb.)

: Are you satified with the answers regarding the safe use of lead airgun pellets? I just re-read all the threads and there seems to be an answer to your question.
: First, there are no TARGET grade non-lead pellets. The prometheus are not worthy. The coated H&N pellets are still lead so they will splatter when shot at metal. I'm not even sure they offer the coating on the H&N Match pellets. If so, you have an option.
: Second, the use of a silent pellet trap (duct seal) and proper hand washing will prevent you from problems. The article by Dr. Joe Matusic explains this procedure.
: Third, there is absolutely no evidence to confirm the rumour that lead pellets produce vapourization or lead dust when they exit the barrel (at muzzle). ALL online articles refer to powder burner guns creating lead at the muzzle from primers and friction from the bullets. A pellet has very little contact with the bore because of the squeezed waist design (shuttlecock).
: Forth, target velocity(350-600fps) pelletguns rarely require barrel cleaning. The odd bit of cleaning is after countless thousands of shots which might cause fouling from the factory lubed pellets and normal airborn non-lead dust. You would be surprised how little cleaning a target airgun needs. Powder burners always require cleaning because of lead smears in the bore and combustion fouling. This is not a problem with airguns at target velocities. No smears, no lead vapour.
: Fifth, the posting below from KenJ is very good. Ken even went so far as to post his lead levels from his own tests. Please re-read Ken's two excellent posts at (copy paste to you address bar):
: http://www.midcoast.com/~pilkguns/bbs/m ... 47875.html
: and
: http://www.midcoast.com/~pilkguns/bbs/m ... 47941.html
: Everyone did a great job of keeping the information flowing on this topic. I learned a lot and I thank everyone. With questions like this there will always be some sarcasm and a bit of suspicion.
: Thanks,
: Todd
:

jwolverton-at-yahoo.com.47987.47970
TCooper

Post by TCooper »

My doctors appointment is on Feb 04, 2004 and I will try to get my bloodwork done that same day. It usually takes about a week to get the results from the doctor. I will post the results.
I do 99% of my airgun shooting in my basement and use a silent pellet trap. I also sleep in my basement.
Later,
Todd
Jeff

Post by Jeff »

: First, there are no TARGET grade non-lead pellets. The prometheus are not worthy.
Just found this review (albeit from a possibly biased source:
From http://www.tintechnology.com/materials/ ... ellets.htm
"The new 'Dynamic' pellet was as accurate as some of the best competition lead pellets available. 5 shots from 25 yards entered a single hole. On this basis alone it is expected that tin will ultimately replace lead in the competition sector."

jwolverton-at-hotmail.com.47989.47970
Val

Post by Val »

A good hole is, say, 1.2 diameters of a pellet. A 5-shot string may produce a hole as large as 3x diameter of a pellet. Another problem is that the domed pellets are not allowed in competition, and the ballistic properties of a wadcutter non-lead pellets are unknown.
I highly doubt that anything could work better than lead for tasks where accuracy counts.
: "The new 'Dynamic' pellet was as accurate as some of the best competition lead pellets available. 5 shots from 25 yards entered a single hole. On this basis alone it is expected that tin will ultimately replace lead in the competition sector."

akihmsa

Post by akihmsa »

Hi Jeff
Is it any coincidence that the tintechnology is part of the lead-free.org site? I especially enjoyed the referances on litigation involving lead. It is all quite interesting. : : Jeff,
: : First, there are no TARGET grade non-lead pellets. The prometheus are not worthy.
: Just found this review (albeit from a possibly biased source:
: From http://www.tintechnology.com/materials/ ... ellets.htm
: "The new 'Dynamic' pellet was as accurate as some of the best competition lead pellets available. 5 shots from 25 yards entered a single hole. On this basis alone it is expected that tin will ultimately replace lead in the competition sector."

Jeff

Post by Jeff »

: Hi Jeff
: Is it any coincidence that the tintechnology is part of the lead-free.org site?
Like I said-- possibly biased source. If anybody know of a review from a NON-biased source, that's what I'm looking for, all jokes and snipes aside.

: : Just found this review (albeit from a possibly biased source:
: : From http://www.tintechnology.com/materials/ ... ellets.htm
: : "The new 'Dynamic' pellet was as accurate as some of the best competition lead pellets available. 5 shots from 25 yards entered a single hole. On this basis alone it is expected that tin will ultimately replace lead in the competition sector."

jwolverton-at-hotmail.com.48032.48027
akihmsa

Post by akihmsa »

Buy some of the pellets and be your own source of info, which is the best info you will be able to get. Could be that they are great in your gun, only way to find out for sure is to try them. Do you want us to buy them for you? We might be able to take up a donation for the $10 needed. Let us know ;~): : Hi Jeff
: : Is it any coincidence that the tintechnology is part of the lead-free.org site?
: Like I said-- possibly biased source. If anybody know of a review from a NON-biased source, that's what I'm looking for, all jokes and snipes aside.
:
: : : Just found this review (albeit from a possibly biased source:
: : : From http://www.tintechnology.com/materials/ ... ellets.htm
: : : "The new 'Dynamic' pellet was as accurate as some of the best competition lead pellets available. 5 shots from 25 yards entered a single hole. On this basis alone it is expected that tin will ultimately replace lead in the competition sector."

Jeff

Post by Jeff »

: Do you want us to buy them for you? We might be able to take up a donation for the $10 needed.
(Man- how come the other guys that asked about brands of pellets & stuff don't get these kind of snippy responses?) Don't see how I offended so many. Wasn't my intent. (God forbid I ask if aiming six o'clock or sub-six is better!)
jwolverton-at-hotmail.com.48038.48035
Claudio

Sub Six or Six o'clock hold...best one?

Post by Claudio »

(God forbid I ask if aiming six o'clock or sub-six is better!)
Well, you just had to open up another can of worms.... just kidding, its a good question :-)
It all depends on the shooter. The rule that we are given is to have equal amount of white on each side of the front sight equal to the space between the bull and front sight. The main thing to remember is to keep it in the same spot each time. So, if you find yourself aiming too low a lot of times, maybe sub six is best.
Oh, by the way, about the lead thing, I wasn't trying to be sarcastic, only trying to tell everyone that lead worries or fears are exaggerated. Just have proper hygiene and get your levels tested every few years, that is what I do and it's always normal lead levels.

incrocci-at-shaw.ca.48050.48038